This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
More than just leafy greens, there are many kinds of Salad Recipes to enjoy all year long! From light mixed greens and hearty main dish salads to sides made with vegetables, fruit, pasta, and more there are salads to keep you cool in the summer or fill you up during any season. And they are all gluten free or just require a simple substitution!
What are the Different Kinds of Salads?
I’m an equal opportunity salad eater. Even in winter, I’m breaking out the greens to get in my servings of veggies. But there’s so much more to a salad than just lettuce.
- Green Salads – these are your standard salads that start with a base of lettuce or other leafy greens. But you don’t have to stop there. Add more veggies, nuts or cheese, maybe some fruit, and an added protein to make it a satisfying meal. Green salads include tossed, with all the components mixed together, or composed, where the other ingredients are arranged on top of the greens.
- Vegetable Salads – you can also use so many other veggies as a basis for salads, whether it’s broccoli, cucumbers, tomatoes, and even zucchini when you make spiralized salads. Some vegetable salad recipes get tossed in a vinaigrette while others have creamy dressings. This includes coleslaw and other slaws too.
- Bound Salads – maybe this term isn’t familiar to you, but you know what the category includes. It’s salads that start with a base of protein, like chicken or eggs, or a carb, such as pasta, potatoes, or even grains. While often held together with a mayo- or yogurt-based dressing, some use a vinegar-based option.
- Fruit Salads – here is the sweet entry into the different types of salads. It can be as simple as a medley of fresh fruit, or you can make a sweet dressing from citrus, yogurt, and more. Sometimes they have mix-ins too, such as nuts for some crunch.
- Mixed Salads – combine any of the above and you have a mixed salad. Try chicken salad served over greens, spinach mixed into your pasta salad, or a combo bound salad like chicken and grains combined.
If you need some inspiration, you’ll find a selection of all of these different types of salad recipes right here…
The Best Salad Recipes
A green salad recipe can mean so much more than just lettuce with tomatoes and cucumbers. While a simple tossed salad makes a great light side, from berries to bacon, cheese to nuts, avocado to homemade salad dressing recipes, the possibilities are endless to make your salad hearty and delicious.
You can use pretty much any of your favorite veggies in a light and lovely salad. Whether tossed in a vinaigrette or a creamy dressing, these salads are fresh, crisp, and flavorful. This category also includes slaws.
Even if you aren’t familiar with the name of this category of salads, you are definitely well-acquainted with this type of salad. It includes potato salad, pasta salad, chicken salad, and any other grain or protein. Generally, mayonnaise or another creamy dressing holds these salads together, though sometimes you’ll find them coated in a vinaigrette. There are options for everyone!
More Bound Salad Recipes
Fruit salads are always a summertime favorite. But with different fruits in season at various times of the year, there is truly a fruit salad recipe for any occasion. Whether you prefer crisp or juicy, plain or dresses, simple or fancy, there are so many ways to enjoy a sweet salad option.