This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Farmhouse salad is topped with hearty ingredients like tender-crisp asparagus, sautéed chicken, chickpeas, and sharp cheddar cheese. It’s topped with one of my favorite easy gluten-free salad dressing recipes, citrus vinaigrette! Your new spring and summer staple will be this Farmhouse Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette.
This time of year is always a difficult one for me in terms of food. It finally seems like Spring is here to stay and I’m more than ready to put the heavy foods of winter behind me and dive into a plate full of fresh vegetables… but the in-season produce hasn’t quite caught up to my appetite. For the most part, the markets are full of the same produce that I’ve been eating for months. Except for the asparagus, which has been completely gorgeous (and on sale!)
This farmhouse salad is perfect for the changing seasons. It combines early-Spring produce like asparagus, peas, and radishes with late-winter staples like citrus and baby kale.
With sautéed chicken and chickpeas for extra protein, extra-sharp cheddar cheese for flavor, and soy nuts for crunch, it’s the kind of salad that has something fun in every single bite!
The inspiration for this farmhouse salad came from one of my favorite local restaurants. Although I love green peas in my pasta salad, I never would have thought to put them on a green salad! They’re an unexpectedly delicious addition. If you use frozen peas, all you need to do is run them under hot water for a minute to thaw them out. If you’re lucky enough to have fresh peas, blanch them along with the asparagus. Boiling them for a minute and then quickly plunging them into ice water will cook them just enough to get rid of the slightly bitter texture they have when they’re raw and ill also give them a beautiful bright green color and help them retain a little bit of their snappy texture.
Get Cupcakes & Kale Chips delivered to your Inbox! Every Friday you’ll see all of the Yummy Eats & Tasty Sweets from the week. Sign up HERE.
Farmhouse Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
For the salad:
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon Greek seasoning
- 8 cups baby kale salad mix or your favorite salad greens, chopped
- 6 spears asparagus cut into 2-inch segments
- 1 cup canned chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen green peas defrosted
- 8 radishes thinly sliced
- 4 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup unsalted soy nuts or your favorite nuts
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 large orange juiced
- 1 lime juiced
- Sprinkle the chicken with Greek seasoning. Spray a large high-sided skillet with olive oil spray and heat over a medium high flame. Add the chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a plate and let cool. Cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Wipe the skillet clean and fill with water. Return to the stove and bring to a boil. Meanwhile, fill a mixing bowl with ice water. Add the asparagus to the boiling water and cook for 1 minute, or until it turns bright green. Drain and place it immediately into the ice water to stop the cooking process.
- Arrange the salad greens on a serving platter. Top with the chicken, asparagus, chickpeas, green peas, radishes, cheese, and soy nuts.
- Add the olive oil, vinegar, orange and lime juices, and shallot to a small jar. Cover and shake to combine. Season with sea salt and black pepper to taste. Drizzle half of the dressing over the salad. Serve with additional dressing, to taste.
If you love this farmhouse salad, but sure to check out these salad recipes, too!
Kale sprouts salad with asparagus and baby beets, from It’s Yummi.
Tomato mozzarella salad, from Spend with Pennies.
Jerusalem salad, from The Wanderlust Kitchen.