Healthy Carrot Zucchini Mini Muffins
Healthy carrot zucchini muffins are one of my kids’ favorite snacks and a favorite of many readers and their kids. They’re a perfect kid-friendly snack, being sweet, moist, and bite-sized. Filled with whole-grains and vegetables and naturally sweetened with just a bit of maple syrup or honey, these are the perfect healthy muffins for kids to grab for breakfast or even pack in their lunchboxes since they are also nut-free. Since they are also freezer-friendly, these healthy zucchini muffins with carrots and raisins are a great way to use up all that summer zucchini, so make a few batches to keep extra in the freezer.
Are you celiac or have a wheat allergy? I also have a recipe for Gluten Free Carrot Zucchini Mini Muffins.
Healthy Zucchini Muffins with Carrots and Raisins
After you’ve whisked together the dry ingredients, stirred up the wet ingredients, and combined them, get ready to fold in all those shredded veggies. It might seem like a lot, but they bake up perfectly. With all of that shredded zucchini and carrots, this isn’t just any healthy mini muffins recipe. These are truly veggie muffins for toddlers and kids because they will happily gobble down their veggies without even knowing it. All the reader comments can’t be wrong!
I’ve told you before that while I like to sneak in extra veggies to cram in as much nutrition as possible, there aren’t many veggies I have to “hide” from my kids. The Bug knows that I put spinach in his Peanut Butter and Jelly Green Smoothie, and both kids will happily devour simply steamed or roasted cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, and more.
The little guy eats tomatoes and sugar snap peas like they are candy, the big one loves cucumbers and carrots dipped in Greek Yogurt Ranch Dip and both devour salads. But zucchini – not so much. Which is unfortunate, because The Hubby and I love it sauteed or grilled or baked with some Parmesan cheese. Yes, believe it or not, even a nice, toasty crust of Parmesan won’t get my cheese-loving kiddo to eat it. So I have to sneak it into things like … into sVegan Vegetable Tomato Sauce with Chickpeas, Zucchini Tater Tots, annnnd…
The Bug LOVES these mini muffins. I’ve made them many, many times and he seriously could polish off a half dozen at a time if I let him. And to be honest, I do tell him they have zucchini in them, and yet somehow, in muffin form, zucchini is totally acceptable.
These muffins are really packed with veggies, truly making them a healthy snack. They are filled with carrots and zucchini and just enough batter to hold it all together. That also makes them super moist and tender, even though they are whole wheat, low in fat and low in added sugar.
Healthy Carrot Zucchini Mini Muffins Recipe Tips:
- These healthy mini muffins are made with white whole wheat flour. If you can’t get your kids into stuff made with regular whole wheat flour, try this. It is just as good for you as “regular” whole wheat flour, but provides a texture closer to white all-purpose flour, so it is easy to substitute into most recipes.
- This recipe uses real maple syrup for a nice flavor and sweetness, while adding flavor and moisture to this healthier muffin. Honey works too.
- I love to make a big batch and throw them in the freezer, popping them out for breakfast or a snack. I’ve kept them frozen for months. Perfect for the summer time, when you are trying to use up the overabundance of zucchini.
- I have never used paper liners. I just scoop the batter into a mini muffin tin sprayed with nonstick cooking spray, then after they bake let them cool on a rack for a few minutes before popping them out with a butter knife.
Here are a few of the items I use to make these Healthy Carrot Zucchini Mini Muffins:
Products from Amazon.com
- Price: $5.71Was: $5.99
- Price: Check on Amazon
- Price: $10.21Was: $21.99
Here are more recipes for zucchini for kids…
- Brownie Batter Chocolate Zucchini Oatmeal sneaks zucchini into chocolaty oatmeal to make it even more filling and nutritious.
- Sesame Zucchini Noodles make zucchini fun to eat, especially when you toss those zoodles in a yummy peanut sauce.
- Carrot and Zucchini Sandwich Sushi are super fun to pack in a lunchbox.
- Mama Ghannouj from Oh My Veggies is a creative twist on baba ghannouj, but made with zucchini instead of eggplant.
- Zucchini Spaghetti from A Family Feast simply tosses those zoodles with butter and parmesan, a combo every kid loves.
- Chocolate Zucchini Brownies from Texanerin are a healthier indulgence with whole grain, gluten free, and dairy free options.
For more yumminess from me and my foodie friends, keep up with me on…
I hope you and your kids enjoy these healthy carrot zucchini mini muffins!
I hope you’ll leave a comment and give it a FIVE STAR rating or share a photo on this pin on Pinterest!
Sweet, moist, and bite-sized little muffins filled with whole-grains and vegetables, but not a lot of added sugar. The perfect healthy snack for kids.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and place rack in the center of the oven, and coat a mini muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine the flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda in a mixing bowl and whisk until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the butter, maple syrup (or honey), egg, and vanilla extract.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir together until just barely combined.
- Add the zucchini, carrot and raisins and stir gently until just distributed.
- Fill each cup in the mini muffin pan approximately 3/4 full (I use a small cookie scoop slightly overfilled).
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Originally published on May 18, 2014