Grilled Chicken Berry Salad with Blueberry Maple Balsamic Vinaigrette
Grilled chicken berry salad is packed with flavor! Grilled chicken, fresh berries, goat cheese, and crunchy walnuts. Topped with a gluten free salad dressing, it’s a family friendly meal!
I love salads. Most days, that is what I have for lunch. If you’ve seen some of my Friday Fun posts (here and here), you’ll see some of the variations I like. Oftentimes, they involve fruit. I love fruit on my salad. And cheese, especially a strong cheese, like blue, feta, or goat cheese. Throw in a few nuts for crunch, and I am a happy girl. For dinner, though, and especially for The Hubby, who thinks meal is not complete unless it includes meat, I do try to make salads that are a bit more substantial, and add some sort of protein, usually chicken or shrimp.
I don’t reach for bottled salad dressing that often, but I pretty much just stuck with sprinkling my salads with a little olive oil and vinegar. Lately, though, I have been making more homemade vinaigrettes and gluten-free salad dressings. I like that they are more flavorful than just the oil and vinegar combo, but making them myself means I know exactly what is going in there, and can control the sugar, salt, oil, and other stuff. And it is super-easy with my Magic Bullet.
This combination was born simply out of having some blueberries, strawberries, and goat cheese in the fridge. And it turned out so yummy! It is a perfect spring/summer salad, especially when you have nice, fresh berries, and can get outside to cook the chicken on the grill. The dressing doubles as a marinade for the chicken, and it gives it a nice tangy, sweet flavor and glaze. The Hubby and I loved it. The Bug still isn’t into salads, but he dug into the chicken with some dressing on it, and the berries.
Do you like fruit on your salads?
I hope you enjoy the grilled chicken berry salad recipe!
Grilled Chicken Berry Salad with Goat Cheese, Pecans, and Blueberry Maple Balsamic Vinaigrette
For blueberry balsamic dressing/marinade:
- 1 lb thinly sliced chicken breasts
- Mixed salad greens about 1 1/2-2 bags, or 8-12 oz.
- 4 oz. goat cheese
- 4 T chopped pecans
- 1/2 c blueberries
- 1 c sliced strawberries
- Combine the dressing ingredients and blend and emulsify in a blender or food processor (I used my Magic Bullet).
- Take about 1/2 c of the dressing, and pour it over the chicken in a bowl, pan, or plastic bag, and marinate for at least 20 minutes.
- Turn on your grill (or grill pan) to medium-high heat.
- Place the chicken on the grill and reduce heat to medium. Cook about 3-5 minutes per side (depending on the thickness), or until completely cooked through, and juices run clear. Brush with some of the extra dressing/marinade while cooking,
- Let chicken rest for about 5 minutes before slicing.
- Divide the remaining salad ingredients among four plate, or place in one big bowl. Top with the sliced chicken and more dressing.
This recipe shared with:
Kelly the Kitchen Kop’s Real Food Wednesday 4/4/2012
A Little Nosh’s Tastetastic Thursday 4/5
Amee’s Savory Dish’s Fit and Fabulous Fridays #26
Countertop Confections’ What’s Cookin Thursday’s
Family Fresh Meals Recipe of the Week: Salad Dressing