Waldorf Chicken Salad with Grapes and Walnuts
Waldorf Chicken Salad with Grapes and Walnuts is a sweet and savory chicken salad recipe. Swap out the mayo in this protein-packed Greek yogurt chicken salad recipe to make a chicken salad sandwich, wrap, or lettuce wraps, a big green salad. It is a great way to use up leftover chicken and have on hand for lunches all week,
Waldorf Chicken Salad Recipe
Whether you have a few chicken breasts in the freezer, pick up a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, or have leftover Rosemary Balsamic Roast Chicken or Lemon Herb Slow Cooker Roast Chicken), this easy chicken salad recipe can be mixed up in minutes with just a few basic pantry ingredients.
I’ve mentioned before about my utter distaste for mayo, and I am not a huge fan of raw celery either, both of which are found in a traditional Waldorf Chicken Salad recipe. So when I saw Isabel of Family Foodie‘s Chicken Salad made with pear Greek yogurt, I was inspired to remix this classic. I always have Greek yogurt and walnuts, and the boys always want me to have grapes in the refrigerator. So a Greek yogurt chicken salad with grapes and walnuts is something I can pretty much throw together anytime.
Oh my goodness oh my goodness, was this amazingly, awesomely delicious! Plus you can prep this once and feed the family for a couple days!
I loved how the addition of mustard added a piquantness that toned down the sweetness of the yogurt, and the ever so slight hint of onion from a bit of chive (I don’t dig raw onion, so you could totally add more, if that’s your thing). Hubby said he would have preferred the grapes quartered, but I liked the big, juicy bites, and quartering grapes is a total pain – so that’s your call. Mmm, then some crunch from the walnuts. There are no words! And all the protein this mama needs from both meat and Greek yogurt – perfect!
Mmmmm, you know you want a bite of that!!
So you want to know how to make Waldorf Chicken Salad with Grapes and Walnuts…
- Start with that leftover chicken I mentioned earlier, or you can make Instant Pot Chicken Breasts (check out the cool trick for shredding the chicken). If you don’t like your chicken totally shredded, chopped into cubes works fine too.
- In a big bowl, mix together the “dressing” made simply of Greek yogurt, honey, Dijon mustard, and apple cider vinegar.
- Then add the chicken, grapes, walnuts, and a few chives, and gently stir it all together to coat evenly.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, then serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to a few days.
How to serve chicken salad with grapes and walnuts?
- The classic way is to enjoy a chicken salad sandwich, perhaps packing into a lunchbox for this kids to take to school.
- Tired of bread? You can always use a pita, flatbread, or tortilla for your chicken salad.
- Cutting your carbs or want an easy gluten free and grain free option? Stuff this Waldorf Chicken Salad into lettuce wraps or pile it on top of a salad. If you need some additional dressing, this Creamy Greek Yogurt Maple Dijon Salad Dressing is a perfect match, or you can add a little punch of flavor with Greek Yogurt Blue Cheese Dressing.
- You can even serve it at a party with crackers.
And if you like this recipe, you might want to try these…
- Waldorf Fruit Salad
- Waldorf Quinoa Chicken Salad
- BBQ Chicken Tostadas
- Waldorf Turkey Wraps from Saving Room for Dessert
- Creamy Pecan Crunch Grape Salad from Wishes and Dishes
You are going to love this Waldorf Chicken Salad recipe with Grapes and Walnuts…
Waldorf-ish Chicken Salad is a classic updated with Greek yogurt, and has the perfect mix of sweet & savory, with juicy grapes and the crunch of walnuts.
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 cups shredded, cooked chicken (about 1-1 1/3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked)
- 1 cup grapes, halved or quartered
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 Tablespoons chopped chives, or more, to your preference
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, Dijon mustard, honey, and apple cider vinegar and stir till combined.
- Add the chicken, grapes, walnuts, and chives, and fold together. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve on a sandwich, salad, crackers, pita, etc.