Gluten Free S’Mores Magic Bars
Gluten Free S’Mores Magic Bars combine two childhood favorites into one gooey chocolate- and marshmallow-filled dessert recipe. No campfire needed for these magic squares!
Gluten Free S’Mores Magic Bars
Some of the childhood dishes that stick with me the most are so simple, and not really recipes. Things like crisp corn on the cob, grilled hot dogs, liverwurst sandwiches (did I really eat that stuff?!), fresh tomatoes and cucumbers doused with Italian dressing, or bagels with melted butter and cheese, which was the snack or lunch of choice for my friend Cindy and I on days filled with things like swimming in the pool, playing Bubble Bobble on the Nintendo, riding bikes to the craft store, or making friendship bracelets or some other random craft.
The other foods that remind me of summer when I was a kid are all those frozen treats like ice cream sandwiches, freeze pops, and, ah yes, that lemon or cherry Italian ice that you’d scrape out of a cup with a little wooden spoon. The thought of making Italian ice crossed my mind, but for some reason these things just feel like they should stay in their wrappers where they belong. Trying to “upgrade” them by making them from scratch just feels like it’s not going to be true to the feelings of nostalgia they evoke in their original forms.
As you can see, my palate has changed quite a bit from when I was a kid, but I think I might have loved these just as much when I was little as I do now…
Since recreating something just didn’t feel right to me, I decided to do a mashup of a couple childhood favorites, and then turn it into a wheat free treat that I can still enjoy. One summertime memory I have is of campfires in my dad’s backyard where we would roast hot dogs, corn on the cob, Campfire Potatoes, and s’mores. Then I also remember my mom’s friend having this big picnic every summer, and nearly every year she brought Magic Bars. So I figured, why not combine the two, and make Gluten Free S’Mores Magic Bars!
It’s amazing what some almond meal, butter, honey, and cinnamon can do when combined to make a simple flourless crust that tastes just like a graham cracker crust. Load that up with sweetened condensed milk, milk chocolate, and plenty of marshmallows that get perfectly toasty in the oven and you have a gooey sweet treat that nobody can resist.
Now excuse me for a second while I go grab another one…
Then go back in the day with all of the Nostalgic Summer Recipes at the bottom of this post.
What food brings you back to the summers of your childhood?
For more yumminess from me and my foodie friends, keep up with me on…
Or sign up to have Cupcakes & Kale Chips delivered straight to your Inbox!
Gluten Free S'Mores Magic Bars
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line a 9x13 inch pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together the melted butter, honey, salt, and cinnamon, then stir in the almond meal until well-mixed and moist.
- Pour the crust mixture into the lined pan and press down firmly to form an even, tightly packed layer.
- Pour about three-quarters of the sweetened condensed milk over the crust layer, and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle with the chocolate and marshmallows, then drizzle with the remaining sweetened condensed milk.
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until the marshmallows are lightly browned.
- Let the pan cool completely before you cut the dessert into bars.
Enjoy this Gluten Free S’Mores Magic Bars recipe!
Here are some more gluten free gooey treats…
- Flourless Peanut Butter Cup Swirl Brownies
- Flourless Fluffernutter Thumbprint Cookies
- Gluten Free Deep Dish Chocolate Chip Cookies for Two