Healthy Blue Cheese Dip or Salad Dressing Made with Greek Yogurt
Healthy Greek Yogurt Blue Cheese Dip has the creaminess and the sharp flavor you love, but it is lighter than the usual bottled dips or dressings. You only need six ingredients and a few minutes and you’ll be ready to dip your veggies. Or thin it out just a bit and it doubles as one of my favorite delicious easy gluten-free salad dressing recipes.
Originally published on April 16, 2012. Post and photos updated on February 6, 2016.
I LOVE blue cheese. There aren’t many things that aren’t made better by adding blue cheese. Grilled chicken salad or Strawberry, Bacon & Blue Cheese Wedge Salad, a black and blue steak, pizza, sandwiches, and even hot dogs. I could go on and on.
But blue cheese dressing, well, yes, in concept, I love it. But most brands of blue cheese salad dressing in a bottle have these little, tiny granules of blue cheese which are totally not satisfying when you are craving that tangy flavor that you only get from nice, big crumbles. And let’s not even talk about all the preservatives and other ingredients that you can’t pronounce.
If you go to a restaurant that makes their own salad dressings, their versions are usually pretty darn delicious. But they, along with most recipes you’ll find, are loaded with lots of mayo or heavy cream or oil. Obviously, it’s perfectly fine to have on occasion, but not something I want to douse my salad with or dunk my veggies into on a daily basis.
And since I could practically eat it by the spoonful every day, I knew I had to come up with my own version – chunkier than the bottled stuff, lighter than the other homemade stuff, and definitely healthier and more protein-packed than both.
So I went to my old standby – Greek yogurt.
Healthy Blue Cheese Dressing or Dip
All you need to do is stir together your Greek yogurt with a few pantry ingredients, then add the big chunks of blue cheese. This is thick enough to be a great dip for veggies, but it is equally yummy as a salad dressing. I like this consistency for spooning over a nice wedge salad, but you can always add a little more olive oil and/or apple cider vinegar to thin it out if you prefer.
- Plain Greek yogurt – I usually use nonfat to keep it light, but you can use whole milk yogurt to make a keto blue cheese dressing.
- Apple cider vinegar
- Olive oil
- Dry mustard
- Cayenne pepper – just a pinch gives these dressing a little zip, but you can omit it.
- Crumbled blue cheese
Directions overview – scroll to the recipe card for the full set of instructions
- Stir together everything except the blue cheese. If you think you are going to want a thinner dressing, add a bit more oil and/or vinegar.
- Gently stir in the blue cheese to avoid breaking it up too much.
Then use it for your salads, veggie platters, wings, and even some of these…
Spicy Buffalo recipes
- Buffalo Cauliflower Tots
- Healthier Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Joes
- Buffalo Chicken Spring Rolls
- Glazed Buffalo Chicken Tenders
- Buffalo Chicken Tacos from Shugary Sweets
- Buffalo Chicken Bake from The Pinning Mama
More healthy Greek yogurt salad dressing recipes
Blue Cheese Greek Yogurt Dressing or Dip Recipe
I hope you’ll leave a comment and give it a FIVE STAR rating or share a review on Pinterest or photo on Instagram!
Tag me @cupcakekalechip and use #cupcakesandkalechips!
Greek Yogurt Blue Cheese Dip or Salad Dressing
- Combine all of the ingredients except the blue cheese in a bowl, and stir until well-mixed.
- Gently stir in the blue cheese, so that you don’t completely break up the nice, large chunks.
- Use for dipping veggies or put on top of a salad, on a sandwich, in a wrap…