This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Cheddar Bacon Ranch Potato Salad is made without mayo and uses Greek yogurt instead, for a healthier version of the classic picnic side dish recipe. But it still packs in all of your favorite flavors, and you don’t even need a Ranch dressing seasoning packet. Perfect to bring to all of your summer parties and potlucks!
Originally published on May 29, 2016
Finally, ’tis the season for sun and warm weather. It’s the time of the year for going to the park, the beach, baseball games, and the pool. We are throwing burgers and steak on the grill, and devouring them with sides like Easy Baked Beans, tomato cucumber salad, and other salads swimming in mayo.
Unless you’re me. Or anything like me.
Are you on Team Mayo? I am not, so whether I am making chicken salad or coleslaw or deviled eggs or blue cheese dressing, I’m ditching the mayonnaise.
Maybe you are swapping mayo for an alternative to cut down on calories. Or perhaps, like me, you don’t like the flavor or texture. You can even get more nutritional benefits by using another ingredient, like…
How do you make potato salad without mayo?
The answer is Greek yogurt! Your potato salad is still creamy, especially when you add a little apple cider vinegar and olive oil to make it smooth. And it gives you a nice bit of tangy flavor. Plus you get additional protein and calcium with fewer calories as a bonus.
And in this recipe, the summer staple gets an upgrade by making it both yummier and healthier. Bacon deliciousness and Ranch seasonings (but no bottled dressing or seasoning packets) kick up the flavors.
Cheddar Bacon Ranch Greek Yogurt Potato Salad
You actually don’t need a seasoning packet to make this recipe. Just add the same dried herbs and spices as in this easy Greek Yogurt Ranch Dressing recipe. Then upgrade this barbecue staple with bacon, cheese, and even a few tomatoes for some color and fresh flavor.
Here is a brief overview so you can see just how easy it is to make. Scroll down to the printable recipe card for the full quantities and details.
But don’t skip my PRO TIPS below!
What You’ll Need
For the dressing:
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Olive oil
- Apple cider vinegar
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Dried parsley
- Dried dill
- Salt and pepper
For the potato salad:
- Boiled and cooled potatoes
- Cooked and crumbled bacon
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Stir together the dressing ingredients.
- Pour over the boiled and cooled potatoes and toss to coat.
- Gently stir in the tomatoes, bacon, and cheese.
You now have one delicious side dish!
Brianne’s pro recipe tips
Boiling the potatoes
I like to use small creamer potatoes that you only have to wash and halve or quarter. But you can use larder white or red potatoes cut into about 3/4-inch pieces. These potatoes all typically have a tender skin, so it isn’t necessary to peel them, but you can if you like.
After preparing the potatoes, place them in a pot with cool water, then bring to a boil and cook until fork tender. This will take about 8-10 minutes. Be careful not to overcook the potatoes or they will break apart and get mushy.
After draining the water, return the potatoes to the hot pan to allow the heat to evaporate off some of the moisture. Then cool them completely before mixing with the dressing.
Cooking the bacon
You can cook the bacon in a pan, in the microwave, or in the oven. You’ll want it to get nice and crispy to add a bit of texture to the potato salad.
Pre-cooked bacon is also an option to cut down on prep time, but do not use artificial bacon bits.
Storing the Ranch potato salad
Like traditional potato salad, Greek yogurt potato salad must be store in the refrigerator to keep it from spoiling. While you can make it in advance and store it overnight or for a couple of days, for best flavor, I recommend serving the same day. If you make it ahead of time, you may need to add a bit more yogurt or vinegar to moisten it up again.
What to serve it with
Here are a few summertime favorites that go well with potato salad without mayo:
- Spicy Buffalo Hot Dogs with Bacon and Blue Cheese
- Grilled Flat Iron Steak with Balsamic Marinade
- Barbecue Chicken Tostadas
- French Onion Stuffed Burgers
More Ranch recipes
- Cheddar Bacon Ranch Roasted Potatoes have the same flavors as this dish but in a crispy, hot dish.
- Barbecue Ranch Quinoa Chicken Salad makes a hearty, protein-packed lunch.
- Bacon Barbecue Ranch Salad can be served with dinner or top it with chicken or steak to make it a meal.
- Ranch Baked Chicken is foolproof with only five ingredients.
Favorite summertime side dishes
- Chili Lime Corn has the perfect amount of zing and a hint of spice.
- Sauteed Summer Veggies highlight the best seasonal flavors with just a hint of brown butter.
- Roasted Corn Salsa brings fresh veggies and corn together in one bowl of deliciousness.
Cheddar Bacon Ranch Potato Salad Recipe without Mayo
Cheddar Bacon Ranch Potato Salad
- 2 pounds creamer potatoes halved or quartered
- 1 cup plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 slices center cut bacon
- 1/2 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup coarsely shredded cheddar cheese about 2 ounces
- Place the potatoes in a pot and cover with cold water.
- Bring to a boil and cook until fork tender, about 8-10 minutes, or until tender enough to be pierced with a fork.
- Drain the potatoes, place in a bowl, and cool completely.
- While the potatoes cool, cook the bacon in a pan until crispy, and drain well on a paper towel.
- Crumble the bacon and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, cider vinegar, olive oil, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, parsley, dill, and black pepper, and stir until well-mixed.
- Pour the Greek yogurt mixture over the potatoes, and toss gently, then gently stir in the bacon, tomatoes, and cheese.
[…] Cheddar Bacon Ranch Potato Salad by Cupcakes & Kale Chips […]
[…] Cheddar Bacon Ranch Potato Salad for #SundaySupper – Cupcakes & Kale Chips says: May 29, 2016 at 8:45 am […]
[…] Cheddar Bacon Ranch Potato Salad by Cupcakes & Kale Chips […]
[…] and Canadian Bacon Red Cabbage Salad Southwestern Chickpea Salad from Dinner, Dishes and Dessert Cheddar Bacon Ranch Potato Salad from Cupcakes and Kale […]
Hi Brianne, This potato salad sounds so delicious! I’ve never put grape tomatoes in potato salad but I think that would be a great addition to the basics! Thanks for sharing this recipe! Blessings, Janet
Put the words “cheddar, bacon and ranch” next to each other and the recipe is probably going to be a hit. Thanks for sharing it and hope you come back to the party again next week! #HomeMattersParty
Thankyou for this!!! I saw it at I should be mopping the floor link party! Id love it if you added mine to your list!
This sounds fantastic and perfect for a BBQ
You had me at bacon and cheese. I hope little dude is feeling better and you can enjoy your day at the pool
You had me with the bacon! And then add cheddar and ranch?!? Oh my, what a potato salad! You are invited to every potluck I am ever going to host! 🙂
YASS! Bacon and ranch go so well together!
This looks so good. I’m thinking you just gave me my Memorial Day Salad recipe. Thanks! I really love how well greek yogurt swaps in recipes that usually have mayo. Great recipe idea.