Cheddar Bacon Ranch Potato Salad without Mayo
Cheddar Bacon Ranch Potato Salad is made without mayo and uses Greek yogurt instead for a healthier version of the classic picnic side dish recipe. But it still packs in all of your favorite flavors, and you don’t even need a Ranch dressing seasoning packet. Perfect to bring to all of your summer parties and potlucks!
Originally published on May 29, 2016
As I write this, it’s Memorial Day weekend. Finally, we have sun, warm weather, and yes, the neighborhood pool is even open. It’s the time of the year for going to the park, the beach, the backyard barbecue, baseball games, and that aforementioned pool.
Unless you’re me.
My kids, after being healthy all winter, every year seem to choose the arrival of summer temperatures to get sick.
I feel bad for the kids because they don’t feel well. But more than that, they have gotten stuck in the house on days when they would love to be outside. And they get cranky and then I get cranky. It’s just a bad situation.
We are having company on Sunday, but Memorial Day Monday we have no plans and Little Dude’s ears should be well enough to enjoy a little splish splashin’ fun. So guess what. It’s probably going to rain. Well, at least we can throw some burgers on the grill and enjoy this…
Cheddar Bacon Ranch Greek Yogurt Potato Salad
Maybe you are swapping mayo for an alternative to cut down on calories. Or perhaps you don’t like the flavor or texture. You can even get more nutritional benefits by using another ingredient, like when you make Avocado Buttermilk Ranch Dressing.
So how do you make potato salad without mayo?
The answer is Greek yogurt! It still makes it creamy, especially when you add a little apple cider vinegar and olive oil to make it smooth. And it gives you a nice bit of tangy flavor. Plus you get additional protein and calcium with fewer calories as a bonus.
What is in Cheddar Bacon Ranch Potato Salad?
You actually don’t need a seasoning packet to make this recipe. Just add the same dried herbs and spices as in Pantry Greek Yogurt Ranch Dressing recipe. Then upgrade this barbecue staple with bacon, cheese, and even a few tomatoes for some color and fresh flavor.
- Greek yogurt
- Olive oil
- Apple cider vinegar
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Dried parsley
- Dried dill
- Salt and pepper
Then mix the dressing with:
- Boiled and cooled potatoes
- Cooked and crumbled bacon
- Shredded cheddar cheese
Stir it all together for one delicious side dish!
What do people think about this potato salad recipe?
It is definitely a hit in my house, but I want to know what YOU think!
If you make it, be sure to leave a comment or tag #cupcakesandkalechips on social media so I can share!
Love Ranch? Try these recipes…
- Cheddar Bacon Ranch Roasted Potatoes have the same flavors as this dish but in a crispy, hot dish.
- Barbecue Ranch Quinoa Chicken Salad makes a hearty, protein-packed lunch.
- Bacon Barbecue Ranch Salad can be served with dinner or top it with chicken or steak to make it a meal.
- Ranch Baked Chicken is foolproof with only five ingredients.
Here are some more of my favorite summertime side dishes…
- Chili Lime Corn has the perfect amount of zing and a hint of spice.
- Easy Baked Beans are a semi-homemade version of the barbecue staple.
- Bacon and Blue Cheese Potato Salad is another potato salad without mayo, but with tangy blue cheese.
- Grilled Asparagus with Lemon and Manchego Cheese has only a few ingredients for a simple veggie side.
- Sauteed Summer Veggies highlight the best seasonal flavors with just a hint of brown butter.
- Roasted Corn Salsa brings fresh veggies and corn together in one bowl of deliciousness.
Cheddar Bacon Ranch Potato Salad Recipe without Mayo
The summer staple gets an upgrade by making it yummier and healthier. Bacon and Ranch seasonings (but no bottled dressing or seasoning packets) kick up the flavors. Greek yogurt cuts the calories and adds protein. With these delicious ingredients, everyone will devour this side dish recipe.
I hope you’ll leave a comment and give it a FIVE STAR rating or share a photo on Pinterest!
Cheddar Bacon Ranch Potato Salad
- 2 lbs creamer potatoes halved or quartered
- 1 cup plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 slices center cut bacon
- 1/2 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup coarsely shredded cheddar cheese about 2 ounces
- Place the potatoes in a pot and cover with cold water.
- Bring to a boil and cook until fork tender, about 8-10 minutes, or until tender enough to be pierced with a fork.
- Drain the potatoes, place in a bowl, and cool completely.
- While the potatoes cool, cook the bacon in a pan until crispy, and drain well on a paper towel.
- Crumble the bacon and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, cider vinegar, olive oil, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, parsley, dill, and black pepper, and stir until well-mixed.
- Pour the Greek yogurt mixture over the potatoes, and toss gently, then gently stir in the bacon, tomatoes, and cheese.
For more yumminess from me and my foodie friends, keep up with me on…
Or sign up to have Cupcakes & Kale Chips delivered straight to your Inbox!