I don’t care if you tell your kids what’s in them or not, but you have to make these cheesy, crispy, so amazingly good Baked Cauli-Tots! I’m ready to start calling them Awesome-Tots!
You guys!!! These may just be my best kitchen creation ever. They are seriously our favorite side dish! All three of us just devour these perfectly crispy, cheesy, dare-I-say potato-ey little nuggets.
OK, now I know it is seriously starting to look like all I do is disguise cauliflower. Mashed potato alternative? Fried rice filler? “Wings”? Now TOTS?!?! Believe it or not, we actually like cauliflower. I’ll roast it with some salt and pepper, or maybe a little parmesan, cheddar, or blue cheese and we eat it up. Even The Bug. Nevermind that… even The Hubby. The man who must have meat. But cauliflower just works so well as a alternative to heavier, carb-ier things, plus it’s semi-neutral flavor really takes on whatever you want to season it with.
So I’m gonna keep doing it, and you’re gonna get more cauli-faker recipes. #sorrynotsorry
Anyways, Cauli-Tots. This was inspired by the Zucchini Tater Tots I made, but while those are super-dee-licious, the addition of zucchini does affect the potato-ey texture. So I tried shredding cauliflower. Lo and behold, it worked! Even The Hubby says that you could fool someone with these babies. The mixture of the shredded cauliflower with some cornmeal gives it the perfect tot texture. They are baked, not fried, which keeps them lighter, and allows the edges to crisp up and get the cheese a little toasty.
They also freeze well. Last time, I made a double batch and tossed some in the freezer to send to school with The Bug for lunch.
What is your family’s favorite side dish?
- 3 c (about half of a head) shredded cauliflower (see Note)
- 4 oz. (about 1 c) shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I used Cabot 50% Light Sharp Cheddar)
- 1 egg
- ¼ c cornmeal
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- a few grinds black pepper
- ½ tsp ground mustard
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Spray a mini muffin tin with oil or coking spray.
- Place the shredded cauliflower in a kitchen towel and squeeze out the excess moisture.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl, and mix together thoroughly. I like to use a fork.
- Using a spoon or scoop, divide the mixture between the muffin cups and press down firmly into the cups.
- Bake at 400°F for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
Want some more fries and tots? You got it!
And how about some from my friends…
- Homemade Steak Fries from The NY Melrose Family
- Sweet Potato Goat Cheese Tater Tots from Heather’s Dish
- Baked Green Bean Fries from Persnickety Plates