Broccoli, Ham and Cheese Egg Muffins
Ham and Cheese Egg Muffins with the addition of healthy broccoli are a great make-ahead breakfast These portable mini quiches are perfect to grab on the go. And they even make a breakfast for dinner recipe the family will love. This recipe for egg muffin cups is easy and versatile. You can even store them in the fridge or freezer if you are doing meal prep. Customize with your favorite veggies, meats, and cheese! Broccoli, Ham and Cheese Egg Muffin Cups
The other day I was looking at the Timehop app on my phone and there was a video of The Bug as a baby shoveling yogurt into his mouth without bothering to use any utensils. I was the proud mama gushing about how great it was that he was figuring out how to feed himself, even if he was still struggling with the spoon. I was laughing that I would have a big mess to clean up, but it didn’t matter because it was all part of the learning experience.
Fast forward five years to my almost-six-year-old and he still eats the same way. And I am still cleaning messes. And I’m not gushing or laughing anymore.
I like to think my husband and I have good table manners and that we are capable of passing these down to our children. In fact, I am pretty confident that we do and we can because my three-year-old brandishes a fork and spoon just fine. He still makes a mess, but he is slow and methodical and manages to get most of the food into his mouth.
The Bug, from the first day I gave him solid food, has made it his mission to get the food into his mouth as fast as possible. If using a utensil is going to slow his progress, then he is going to forego all manners and appropriate dinner table behavior and dig in with his hands.
Sometimes I have to just choose my battles. And trust me, with two small boys, fork usage is often the least of my concerns for a peaceful meal.
So you can imagine how thrilled The Bug was when I told him that this was acceptable finger food…
Broccoli Ham and Cheese Egg Muffin Cups
Broccoli, Ham and Cheese Egg Muffins are as tasty as a broccoli ham and cheese omelet, but in a much cuter package. Plus it’s a package that is totally acceptable to pick up and eat with your hands.
How do you make egg muffins?
- Preheat your oven and spray your muffin pan with cooking spray. Silicone muffin cups (either the individual ones or the pans) are also convenient for making these.
- Chop your ham, cook and chop your broccoli, and shred your cheese.
- Divide the fillings between twelve muffin cups.
- Whisk together eggs and a few seasonings and pour this mixture into the muffin pan or silicone cupcake liners.
- Bake until cooked through and golden.
Can you make egg muffins in advance?
Yes, Broccoli Ham and Cheese Egg Muffins (or really any egg muffin recipe) are especially convenient because you can make a bunch at a time and keep them in the fridge for the week. You can even pop them in the freezer for when you need a quick breakfast on your way out the door on busy mornings.
And actually, we tend to be breakfast for dinner folks. So I was able to make these handheld edibles in advance for when we needed dinner to be ready fast on a busy night.
What else can you put in egg muffins?
The possibilities are endless. You can really use any meats, cheese, veggies, potatoes, or whatever else you have on hand. But here are a few of my favorite combinations.
- Potato Broccoli Cheese Egg Muffins are a vegetarian option.
- Ham and Asparagus Egg Muffins with Goat Cheese have delicious springtime flavors.
- Cheddar Apple Sweet Potato Egg Muffins are a delicious sweet and savory combination.
What can you make with leftover ham?
These egg muffins are perfect for using up leftover ham, but here are a few other ideas.
- Pineapple Ham Cheese Ball
- Roasted Cauliflower, Ham and Brie Grilled Cheese
- Hawaiian Scrambled Eggs
- Barefeet in the Kitchen made Ham and Cheese Biscuits, with regular and gluten free versions.
- Ham and Broccoli Macaroni and Cheese from Oh, Sweet Basil looks like the ultimate comfort food.
- And if you don’t feel like making the individual egg muffins, you can always make a Cheesy Ham and Broccoli Frittata from The Food Charlatan.
For more yumminess from me and my foodie friends, keep up with me on…
Or sign up to have Cupcakes & Kale Chips delivered straight to your Inbox!
Broccoli Ham and Cheese Egg Muffins Recipe
This egg muffin cups recipe is super easy. You can make them ahead (and even freeze them!) for breakfast on-the-go, brunch, or a simple brinner! Use whatever meat and vegetables you have on hand to customize to your tastes. Plus they are gluten free, low carb, and keto-friendly. And let’s not forget totally kid-friendly too.
I hope you’ll leave a comment and give it a FIVE STAR rating or share a photo on this pin on Pinterest!
Broccoli, Ham and Cheese Egg Muffins
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and coat a 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- Divide the broccoli and ham between the cups in the muffin tin. Top each with a slightly heaping tablespoon of cheddar cheese.
- Crack the eggs into a large bowl, add the dry mustard, kosher salt, and pepper, and lightly beat.
- Divide the egg mixture evenly between the muffin cups. You'll need about 1/4 cup of the egg mixture for each one, but it is easier to add about half of that at a time and let it soak down into the cups.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until eggs are set and top is lightly golden brown.
Enjoy! Originally published on Apr 10, 2016.