Broccoli, Potato & Cheese Egg Muffin Cups for #SundaySupper
#SundaySupper turns 2 this week! Happy Birthday to Isabel and all of my friends who are part of the movement to bring families back around the dinner table. I decided to go with breakfast for dinner (or lunch, or, well, umm, breakfast), with these Broccoli, Potato & Cheese Egg Muffin Cups. Easy, versatile, freezable, reheatable – you have to make up a batch!
Broccoli, Potato & Cheese Egg Muffin Cups
This week, as part of our birthday celebration for #SundaySupper, Isabel asked us to share our favorite recipes, themes, or moments from our time as part of this amazing group. I have a couple of favorite themes from my time as part of this amazing group – over a year and a half, minus my two blogging breaks during my first trimester and after Baby Smiles was born. One was Kids in the Kitchen, when The Bug and I made Mexican Black Bean Quinoa Burgers with Guacamole. Classic Bug, trying to shove every ingredient in his mouth instead of actually helping me. The kid is a bottomless pit, but it was fun to make, and to pick a recipe based on his love of Mexican food from a young age. Another was Breakfast for Dinner where I shared these Dark Chocolate, Orange and Pistachio Greek Yogurt Cups, because it was my first week back after my “maternity leave”, and after a rough first few months with Baby Smiles, getting back to blogging really felt like getting back to life, getting out of the Baby Fog, and doing something for me again.
But honestly, my favorite moment happens every week. Truthfully, sometimes everyday. You all know I love to tell stories about my family. The Bug has been featured prominently on the blog since Day 1, and now that Baby Smiles is starting to eat real food (this is the first #SundaySupper recipe he actually got to try!), he will come into the picture more and more. Each week as I go through the comments, I undoubtedly see something from Isabel or Nicole or Renee or Liz or someone else saying either something sweet about the boys, or mentioning how it reminds them of when their kids were younger, and how things are different now.
This happens regularly as I share my daily goings-on on Facebook or Instagram, too. And I love getting these comments. Yes, of course I enjoy hearing how adorable and awesome my kids are, but what I really love is the inspiration these ladies give me, as a foodie AND a mom. Because I see the types of moms they are, I see the wonderful connection they have with their children and their kids’ amazing accomplishments, and I know that it truly comes back to the family dinner table – literally and figuratively. It is setting aside that time with your family, whether it is Sunday Supper, breakfast before school, or maybe your schedule doesn’t allow for a meal, but you turn off the cell phones and radio and whatever else while you are in the car and talk. You go to their football games, support their choices even if it brings them far away from you, have their friends all jammed into your living room.
And I can only hope, pray, and do my very best raising these little guys to be as wonderful as my friends’ children. I can make them delicious and nutritious meals so that they grow up healthy and with a love of food to nourish their body and soul. I can sit down to enjoy these meals with them, as we have done almost since they day each of them was born, pulling up a bouncer seat or high chair to the table, in order to know what is going on in their lives, to know who they are, and to make sure they know that Daddy and I are always there for them.
That is what Sunday Supper means to me.
As I said, I wanted to pay tribute to the Kids in the Kitchen AND Breakfast for Dinner themes, so I scoured the recipes from those events. The Bacon Egg and Sausage Breakfast Cups from Nicole at Daily Dish Recipes popped out at me as something I could make with The Bug, but I wanted to turn it into a vegetarian recipe, so that he could take leftovers to school (his preschool is attached to a Jewish Temple, so in order to ensure that meals being rated together at a table are Kosher – since most of the students are not Jewish and may not know all of the requirements – is to just have everyone bring in vegetarian dishes).
Well, I don’t know if my broccoli took up more room than her sausage and bacon or what, but once I mixed it up, there was no way I was fitting the potato/broccoli/cheese mixture into the cups and then cracking an egg on top. Dang, I was hoping for a little runny yolk on mine! So I just whisked up all twelve eggs and combined it with the veggie mixture.
Soooo, it’s nothing like Nicole’s recipe, but these Broccoli, Potato & Cheese Egg Muffin Cups turned out great! The hubby raved about them at dinner, I snuck one the next day as a snack, The Bug took some for lunch. Even Baby Smiles ate some! And I still have more in the freezer, so this is a perfect make-ahead meal for busy days. They can even be little appetizers! And obviously you can switch up the veggies and cheese to whatever you have or like.
[Tweet “Broccoli, Potato and Cheese Egg Muffin Cups – a yummy make-ahead #breakfast!”]
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
And make sure you check out all of the delicious items that the group is bringing to the party at the bottom of this post!
What is your favorite thing about Sunday Suppers in YOUR family?
Broccoli, Potato & Cheese Egg Muffin Cups
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease or spray two muffin pans.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Divide the mixture evenly between 24 muffin cups.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until eggs are set ad top is lightly golden brown.
Here are a few more of my favorite #SundaySupper themes and recipes:
- Cheesy Chipotle Chicken Sausage Chowder for a Soup-er Sunday Supper
- Salted Ripple Chip (No Machine) Ice Cream for a Music-Inspired Sunday Supper
- Sage Cornbread Muffins with Cranberry Orange Butter for My First SundaySupper
Plus here is the entire #SundaySupper birthday party menu…
Brilliant Breads and Breakfast Fare:
- Brioche aux Pépites de Chocolat from Food Lust People Love
- Celebration Strawberry Crepes from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Homemade Brioche from Masala Herb
- Onion Cheddar Cheese Focaccia from Flour On My Face
- Poached Pear Bread from Hip Foodie Mom
Amazing Appetizers and Cocktails:
- Blood Orange Gin Fizz from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Blue Cheese Walnut Tarts from Magnolia Days
- Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Stuffed Butternut Squash from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Cheesy Twists from What Smells So Good?
- Key Lime Pie Martini from girlichef
- Pizza Dip from The Food Army Wife
- Slow Cooker Party Mix from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
Spectacular Soups and Salads:
- Creamy, Tangy Bacon Salad Dressing from Daily Dish Recipes
- Day at the Beach Healthy Tuna Salad from Shockingly Delicious
- Low Carb Spicy Chunky Vegetable Beef Chili from Yours and Mine Are Ours
- Luscious Fruit Salad from Pescetarian Journal
- Quinoa and Buffalo Chicken Salad from In the Kitchen with KP
- Carne de Porco Alentejana | Portuguese Pork and Clams from Family Foodie
- Chicken Shami Kebab from Soni’s Food
- Chicken and Rice Dinner in the Crock from Momma’s Meals
- Curried Chicken from The Foodie Patootie
- Healthy Chicken Tetrazzini from Citronlimette
- Imagination Stew from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Orecchiette with Chicken, Brocccoli, Mushrooms and Onions from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Runny Egg Risotto from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Sautéed Chicken with Tarragon Cream Sauce plus Arugula, Radicchio and Escarole Salad from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Seafood Stew from Healthy. Delicious.
- Spice-Crusted Fish Tacos with Confetti Salsa from The Weekend Gourmet
- Spicy Roasted Squash and Wild Rice Bake from Curious Cuisiniere
- Spicy Shrimp Tempura Rolls from kimchi MOM
- Spinach Proscuitto Macaroni and Cheese with Walnut Topping from Noshing with the Nolands
- Tuscan Chicken Spinach Soup with Roasted Red Pepper from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Azuki Red Bean Ice Cream from The Ninja Baker
- Banana Pudding Parfaits from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Birthday Cake Macaron from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Caramel Peanut Butter and Jelly Bars from Pies and Pots
- Chocolate Mousse Torte from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cinnamon Sugar Churros and Chocolate Sauce from Neighborfood
- Crumb Cake Brownies from Table for Seven
- Frozen Chocolate Covered Banana Pops from Ruffles & Truffles
- Gluten-Free Epiphany Cake from Happy Baking Days
- Gluten-Free Vegan Coconut Cookies by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Happy Birthday Cake Batter Truffles from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Kahlua Toffee Ice Cream Cake from Webicurean
- Mini Chocolate Bundt Cake with Raspberry Sauce from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Pineapple Coconut Cupcakes from Basic N Delicious
- S’mores Snack Cake from Alida’s Kitchen