Shepherd’s Pie Loaded Fries are a fun St. Patrick’s Day treat! A balanced meal with everything in one dish, that’s totally comforting and can be made in 30 minutes! That’s every mom’s dream, and with a little help from Alexia Foods frozen sides, you can make these fries! They’re a perfect way to enjoy a gluten free St. Patrick’s Day!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Alexia Foods . The opinions and text are all mine.
There are days that it really hits me that my kids are growing up. OK, OK, I know they are still only two and almost five, but I am officially out of the baby days. And when you spend a day or two making phone calls about registering them for pre-school or kindergarten, and making checkup appointments with the doctor because, oh my gosh, they’re gonna be another year older, reality sets in.
It’s bittersweet, really. I mean, I’ll be thrilled to be done changing diapers and I won’t miss food being thrown on the floor to indicate that it’s the end of dinnertime. But the little dude is right in the middle of the verbal explosion, learning to connect thoughts and words into sentences. The big dude is writing and learning to read. It’s all so exciting and all happening so fast!
Plus now we are doing to karate thing, the tee ball thing, the park thing, the birthday party thing – you know, the stuff that big kids do! And while I love seeing my kids having all of these new experiences and learning so many skills, it does mean a heck of a lot of running around, especially during the time that I used to be able to make dinner at my leisure. As a stay-at-home mom with babies and toddlers, I wasn’t making gourmet five course meals on a regular basis, but I had some flexibility to make dinner on my own time. Plus now I’m also doing the work-at-home mom thing, which means time is tight!
But I am determined to up my repertoire of make-ahead and super quick meals, while still using real ingredients to make sure my family is getting fed and getting fed well. Plus, I have to think about those growing boys, and inevitably, one day, all of their hungry friends! I need meals that are simple, tasty, kid-friendly, and can satisfy a bunch of rumbly tummies.
Meals like Shepherd’s pie loaded French fries!
You can have Shepherd’s Pie Loaded Fries in about 30 minutes. A flavorful beef and vegetable mixture with cooked-all-day flavor that is ready in the time it takes to bake up a tray of Alexia Smart Classics Roasted Crinkle Cut Fries with Sea Salt. Pull them out of the oven, load them up with the veggie and meat mixture and some cheese, then just a couple more minutes in the oven to get it all melty good, and dinner is ready to go!
Alexia Foods has an entire lineup of premium frozen sides that can help you get dinner on the table in no time! And when you have to take some help from the freezer section of your grocery store, it’s nice to know you are picking up a product with a short list of ingredients such as U.S. grown Yukon gold select potatoes and all-natural sea salt.
When it come to fries, this means the authentic potato flavor shines through.
For Shepherd’s pie loaded fries, the fluffy texture inside my choice of Alexia Smart Classics Roasted Crinkle Cut Fries with Sea Salt makes them the perfect quick alternative to the typical mashed potatoes on top of shepherd’s pie.
Because when you’re going from school to practice to meetings and everywhere in between, who has time to peel and mash potatoes?
And who cares when you can load up those crispy, delicious fries with everything else to complete your meal! This dish was a total crowd-pleaser in my house, and the best part is that it makes a lot! We had leftovers to save for another day, but we could certainly feed a few of the boys’ friends too. And I am sure it’ll be a hit all around!
How do you make sure you are getting a good meal on the table on the busiest of days?
Let me know what you think of the recipe for Shepherd’s pie loaded fries!
Shepherd's Pie Loaded Fries
A new twist on the classic dish that's a balanced meal, totally comforting, and can be made in 30 minutes even on a busy weeknight.
- One 32. oz package Alexia Foods Roasted Crinkle Cut Fries with Sea Salt
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped (roughly 1/2 cup)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed or minced
- 3/4 cup tomato paste (one 6-ounce can)
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 4 cups, or about two 10 oz. packages frozen mixed vegetables, thawed (carrots, peas, corn, and green beans)
- 1 cup (about 4 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F and prepare fries according to package instructions.
- While the fries are baking, heat a skillet over medium heat, add the ground beef, onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt and pepper and cook, breaking up the meat, until it is browned. Drain any excess grease.
- Stir in the tomato paste, Worscestershire sauce, and beef broth.
- Add the vegetables, bring to a simmer, and cook until thickened slightly and fries are done. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the fries to an oven-proof baking dish or skillet (I used a cast iron skillet, but you can use a glass or ceramic baking dish).
- Top with the meat mixture and shredded cheese and return to oven for about 5 minutes, or place under the broiler for 2 or 3 minutes, or until cheese is melted and lightly browned.
For days when you have little more time, here are more creative takes on the classic shepherd’s pie…
And here are some from my friends…
- Cheddar Topped Shepherd’s Pie from A Family Feast
- Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie from Noshing with the Nolands
- Cheesy Cauliflower Shepherd’s Pie from All Day I Dream About Food
Alexia Foods offers frozen potatoes, appetizers, breads and side dishes with minimal, but distinctive, real ingredients that serve-up exceptional taste. Alexia frozen sides are a delicious addition to a balanced meal with that little something extra and can be ready in 25 minutes—or less.
Alexia. Farm to Flavor.