This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
With savory beef, gooey cheese, and your favorite burger toppings, this Layered Bacon Cheeseburger Dip will be the star appetizer at your big game party. Your friends will be cheering for the food instead of their favorite team because not only is it delicious, but it’s also gluten free and keto-friendly!
Love bacon cheeseburgers? Try Bacon Cheeseburger Crustless Quiche!
Bacon Cheeseburger Dip – Easy Appetizer Recipe
Whether it’s Shepherd’s Pie Loaded Baked Potatoes or Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole, I love taking classic dishes and enjoying them in new and creative ways. This time I took a little inspiration from a famous west coast burger chain and incorporated it into a delicious dip.
Every layer of this Bacon Cheeseburger dip just makes it more and more irresistible. It’s similar to a seven-layer dip that is usually made with Mexican-inspired ingredients. This all-American version starts with the same base, a layer of cream cheese. But instead, it has ground beef flavored with the favorite combination of ketchup and mustard and buttery caramelized onions.
After adding plenty of cheese, all you have to do is pop it into the oven until it is ooey-gooey and delicious. While it bakes, get your bacon, lettuce, tomatoes, and burger sauce ready so that you can dig into bacon cheeseburger deliciousness in no time.
It’s super fun and yummy, especially if you dip toasted burger buns or waffle fries. Though classic chips or veggies make great dippers too!
Cheeseburger Dip Ingredients
Gather the ingredients you need to make hamburgers plus your favorite toppings and get ready to layer them with cream cheese for this easy cheeseburger dip recipe. Here’s a quick overview, but you’ll need to scroll to the recipe card for the full amounts and detailed directions. You can keep reading for tips and serving ideas.
- Butter. Unsalted is preferred, but salted can be used. You may just want to use a bit less salt for seasoning the beef mixture,
- Onion. Chopped.
- Worcestershire sauce. Be sure the brand you use is gluten free, if needed. Lea & Perrins in the United States is gluten free at the time of this writing.
- Ground beef. You can use 80% to 95% lean, depending on your preference.
- Salt and pepper.
- Ketchup. For a low carb and keto dip, use a sugar free ketchup or Homemade Ketchup
- Yellow mustard. You can also use spicy brown mustard if you prefer a little more kick.
- Cream cheese. Regular or light is fine, but do not use fat-free.
- Shredded cheddar cheese. A combination of sharp white and yellow cheddar gives a nice color combination, but you can use just one, or try substituting Monterey Jack, Colby, or another favorite cheese.
- Bacon. Use your favorite way to cook bacon, get it nice and crispy, then crumble or chop it.
- Burger toppings. I like to use shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, and a drizzle of burger sauce. But use your favorites or keep reading for more ideas.
Things You’ll Need
How to Make Cheeseburger Dip
Just a few simple steps and you’ll be ready to dig into this cheesy appetizer. Here is your brief summary of the recipe to show you how easy it is.
Caramelize the onions. Saute the onions in a skillet with butter and Worcestershire sauce until they are tender and caramelized. Set them aside.
Cook the beef. Use the same skillet to brown the ground beef, breaking it up as it cooks. Drain any excess grease, and stir in the ketchup and mustard.
Layer and bake. Spread cream cheese in the bottom of a baking dish, then layer the cooked beef mixture, caramelized onions, and shredded cheese on top. Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes, or until hot and the cheese is melted.
Add your toppings. Before serving, top the hot burger dip with lettuce, tomato, burger sauce, or your favorite toppings. Then enjoy it right away. Because of the combination of hot and cold layers, this burger dip does not keep in the refrigerator and reheat well.
Other Burger Topping Ideas
This recipe has some suggestions, but the possibilities for toppings are endless. Here are some ideas, but think about your favorite cheeseburger and get creative.
- Classic Burger Dip. Add chopped raw onions, more ketchup and mustard, or pickles.
- BBQ Burger Dip. Use pepper Jack cheese and give it a drizzle of BBQ sauce instead of the burger sauce.
- California Burger Dip. Swap the cheddar for Swiss, then top it with some chopped avocado or even sauteed mushrooms.
- Mexican Burger Dip. Sprinkle on some jalapenos and spoon salsa and guacamole over the top.
What to Dip in Cheeseburger Dip
- Of course, you can go for standard dippers, like tortilla chips or crackers.
- You can even take the low carb route by digging in with mini bell peppers or pork rinds.
- For the full bacon cheeseburger experience, try toasted burger buns like my Gluten Free Hamburger Buns, or even waffle fries.
Game Day Party Ideas
Once you’ve got your toppings and dippers for the bacon cheeseburger dip, you might need a few more game day recipes to round out the party menu. Here are some ideas for you.
- Chili. The Best Chili Recipe completes any tailgate party and feeds a crowd. You can also make Keto Chili Without Beans!
- Finger Foods. Cheesy Quinoa Bites are healthier finger food. And everyone loves Gluten Free Pretzel Bites.
- Nachos. Classic Sheet Pan Chicken Nachos are great, or go vegetarian with Bell Pepper Nachos.
- Cold Dips. We love a hot and cheesy dip, but veggies and chips are great to dunk in Greek Yogurt Ranch Dressing or Roasted Mushroom Hummus.
More cheesy dip recipes
- Kentucky Hot Brown Dip
- Hot Pork Roll and Cheese Dip
- Cheesy Hot Jambalaya Dip
- Easy Cheesy Mexican Dip
- Artichoke Dip with Kale and Cheddar from Foodness Gracious.
- Hot Caramelized Onion and Bacon Dip from All Day I Dream About Food.
Layered Bacon Cheeseburger Dip
For the dip
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- half of a medium onion, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 Tablespoons ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons yellow mustard
- one 8 oz. package of cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, white, yellow, or a combination (about 8 oz.)
- 4 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- Burger Sauce (recipe below)
- additional burger toppings, if desired
- French fries, tortilla chips, toasted roll pieces, mini bell peppers, etc. for dipping
For the Burger Sauce
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 Tablespoons ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 1/2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
For the dip:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add in the onion and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook over medium heat until the onions are soft and starting to caramelize, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove onions and set aside.
- Add the ground beef, salt, and pepper to the pan and cook until fully browned, breaking it up as it cooks. Drain off any excess grease.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the ketchup and mustard.
- Spread cream cheese in an even layer in the bottom of a 2 quart glass baking dish. Top with the beef mixture, caramelized onions, and cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes, or until hot and the cheese it melted. While it is baking, prepare the burger sauce and cook the bacon, if you haven’t already.
- Immediately sprinkle with bacon, and top with lettuce, tomatoes, burger sauce, and any other desired toppings.
- Serve immediately with chips, fries, vegetables, etc. for dipping.
For the burger sauce:
- Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and stir until smooth and uniform. Store any extra in the refrigerator.