This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Easy Cheesy Mexican Dip is the ultimate game day snack or party appetizer recipe! Just layer 4 ingredients and bake until hot and melty. Then rip open that bag of tortilla chips and get ready to scoop up ooey gooey layers of cheese and salsa and more cheese and more salsa.
Originally published January 21, 2014. Updated with new photos and more helpful information on February 4, 2021.
Easy Cheesy Mexican Dip – a Most-Requested Recipe
My mom and I have a thing for cheesy dips. My most-requested recipe by family and friends is my Honey Nut Baked Brie recipe. When my mom gets invited to a party, she is always asked, or dare I say, begged to make her Mexican cheese dip.
She is always happy to make a batch because it literally takes just minutes to assemble. Then she just pops it in the oven before she is ready to leave for the party, or even once she arrives.
Friends and family are thrilled because oh, the cheese. THE CHEESE!
It’s at the point that instead of waiting to be asked, she just offers to bring it because she knows it will get devoured. And it’s so easy to make with only 4 ingredients.
It’s like an extra cheesy, simplified version of a Mexican Seven Layer Dip but with only four layers – the four best layers!
Easy Mexican Dip Recipe
Here is a brief overview so you can see just how easy it is to make. Scroll down to the printable recipe card for the full quantities and details.
But don’t skip my PRO TIPS below!
What You’ll Need
- Cream cheese – regular or light both are good. I do NOT recommend fat free, as it doesn’t melt well. Let it soften to room temperature to make spreading easier.
- Salsa con Queso – choose your favorite brand, and feel free to use hot, medium or mild.
- Salsa – choose your favorite brand, and feel free to use hot, medium or mild.
- Shredded cheese – I usually use just sharp cheddar, but feel free to use Monterey Jack, pepper Jack, or a combination. Grate it yourself or use a bag of pre-shredded cheese.
What to bake it in
- Casserole Dish
- Rectangular or square glass baking dish
- Aluminum pan – if you are taking the dip to a party and don’t want to reclaim your baking pan, just spread the layers in an aluminum pan so you can toss it in the trash when it is gone.
How to layer Mexican dip
- Spread the cream cheese in an eve layer in the bottom of the pan.
- Pour the queso over the stop and spread evenly.
- Gently spoon the salsa over the top to cover the queso completely.
- Scatter shredded cheese on top of everything.
Preheat the oven to 350°F and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until hot and melty. Then just rip open a bag of tortilla chips and dig in!
Toppings for Mexican dip
We like to scoop up this dip just as it is, but you can customize with toppings:
- Shredded lettuce
- Chopped tomatoes
- Sliced jalapenos
- Red onions or green onions
- Sour cream
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Mexican dip gluten free?
You can make a gluten free Mexican dip. Cream cheese, salsa, and cheese are all gluten free. You’ll need to make sure you buy a jar of gluten free queso, though.
Please confirm by reading labels or contacting the manufacturer, but at the time of writing this post, the following information was available:
- Tostitos Salsa con Queso – contains no gluten ingredients, but may be manufactured in a facility that handles other wheat products.
- Mission Salsa con Queso – not clearly listed on the company website.
- Wise Salsa con Queso – listed as gluten free on the company website.
- On the Border Salsa con Queso – listed as gluten free on the company website.
- Chi-Chi’s Salsa con Queso – listed as gluten free on the company website.
Can I use homemade queso?
Yes, you’ll need about 1 1/2 cups if you want to use your own queso recipe.
Can I make this in advance?
You can definitely layer the ingredients in the pan the night before or early in the day. Just cover and store in the refrigerator until you are ready to bake it. It may need a couple of extra minutes in the oven to get hot all the way to the middle.
You can reheat it in the oven or microwave, too. The cheese doesn’t get quite as gooey, but it is still delicious.
Make it a Party
More Mexican appetizer recipes
- Sheet Pan Chicken Nachos
- Air Fryer Chicken Taquitos
- Mango Avocado Salsa
- Chorizo Tortilla Bites
- Salsa Pulled Chicken Sliders
More cheesy dip recipes
- Barbeque Chicken Dip
- Kentucky Hot Brown Dip
- Seven-Layer Bacon Cheeseburger Dip
- Hot Pork Roll and Cheese Dip
- Pizza Dip by Cravings of a Lunatic
Easy Cheesy Mexican Dip
- 8 oz. package cream cheese, light or regular
- 15-16 oz. jar of salsa con queso
- 15-16 oz. jar of salsa, mild, medium, or hot
- 1.5 cups shredded cheese (cheddar, Monterey Jack, pepper Jack, or a combination)
- Toppings, if desired, such as jalapenos, onions, tomatoes, cilantro, etc.
- Tortilla chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread cream cheese in an even layer in the bottom of a square or small rectangular (about 11 x 7 inches) baking dish.
- Pour the salsa con queso over the cream cheese layer and spread evenly.
- Gently spoon the salsa over the queso layer to cover completely.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top of the salsa.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until heated through and cheese is melted and lightly browned.
- Scatter toppings on top, if desired and serve with tortilla chips for dipping.