This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
A big batch of Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken is the ultimate weeknight recipe for a busy family. Toss a few ingredients in your crockpot, then pile this tasty shredded Mexican chicken on tacos, salads, nachos, and more!
Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken – Easy Shredded Mexican Chicken
Flexible family meals truly save my day. Life was definitely busy when I had little tiny ones at my feet. But I am starting to think it’s actually crazier as they get older and have to be run around in different directions in between getting homework done.
That’s why staples like this Mexican shredded chicken are essential!
It’s easy – just throw a few ingredients in your slow cooker, and by dinnertime, you’ll have moist and tasty chicken you can pile on all of your favorite Tex-Mex meals
It’s versatile – it can be used in many different dishes, from enchiladas to tacos to nachos, plus so much more. And when a family had different diets and preferences, one person can enjoy it in taco shells while another uses gluten free flour tortillas even if someone else prefers lettuce wraps.
It’s foolproof – besides being simple to prepare, it also stays warm in the crockpot, can be doubled, and freezes well. So everyone can enjoy a hot meal regardless of when they have time to eat.
Once you try it, I’m sure you’ll have it in your regular dinner rotation too!
Mexican Chicken Ingredients
Here is a quick list of what you’ll need for this recipe so you can check your pantry. The full amounts are in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts.
- Chili powder.
- Salt and pepper.
- Salsa. Use your favorite brand of jarred salsa, your preference of whether you like it mild, medium, or hot
- Black beans. One can, drained and rinsed, really stretches this recipe so you can feed more people in a budget-friendly way. However, these can be omitted for a keto and paleo recipe.
How to Make Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken
All it takes are a few simple steps and your crockpot does the hard part. Let’s get started.
Add ingredients. Place the chicken in the slow cooker and sprinkle it with chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Then pour the salsa over the top.
Let it cook. Cover and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours.
Finish the chicken. Use two forks to shred the chicken. If you are using black beans, stir them in now. Cover and cook for another 20 to 30 minutes to heat everything through again.
Make it a Meal
A single batch makes enough for a couple of meals in my family. But if you have to feed a crowd or want to do some meal prep
Easy Tex-Mex Dinners
- Taco Night: Pile it in your favorite tortillas for Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos or try Baked Chicken Tacos. But don’t forget the Mango Avocado Salsa and Flourless Mexican Chocolate Cookies for dessert.
- Better than Chipotle: Spoon the chicken over Instant Pot Spanish Rice or Cilantro Lime Rice to make Chicken Burrito Bowls. We like Chili Lime Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Avocado Crema on top.
- Enchiladas Made Easy. Roll it up to make Easy Chicken Enchiladas with a nice dollop of Kid-Friendly Guacamole and salsa. Serve them up with Chili Lime Corn.
Mexican Party Favorites
Of course, you can put out a big batch of chicken at a party with taco shells, tortilla chips, lettuce leaves, rice, and your favorite toppings for a DIY Mexican food buffet. But it’s also fun to use in these party appetizers:
Storing and Reheating Leftovers
Leftover Mexican chicken can be kept sealed in the refrigerator for up to 3 or 4 days. Be sure to discard it if you notice any unusual odors.
It also freezes well if you want to make a double batch and store in your freezer. Let cool and place in an airtight freezer-safe container or plastic freezer storage bag. It is best to use it within 1 to 2 months.
In order to reheat it, be sure to take it out of the freezer the night before and place it in the refrigerator if you have frozen it. Then it can be reheated in the microwave or in a pot on the stove. You can also put it back in the crockpot on low for a couple of hours to heat through.
What Size Slow Cooker Should I Use?
More slow cooker shredded chicken recipes
Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken with Black Beans
- Place chicken in a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker and sprinkle with chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Pour salsa over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- About 20-30 minutes before you plan to eat, remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred with forks.
- Return the chicken to the slow cooker, stir in the blank beans, if using, replace the lid and cook on Low for another 20-30 minutes or until heated through.
- Use to make tacos, nachos, salads, lettuce wraps, rice bowls, and more.