Crockpot Mexican Chicken and Black Beans
Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken with Black Beans is the ultimate weeknight recipe for the busy family. Toss a few ingredients in your crockpot, then pile this tasty shredded Mexican chicken on tacos, salads, nachos, and more! A can of beans stretch the servings to feed a crowd and make it budget-friendly, but you can leave them out for a keto-friendly dinner.
Flexible family meals are saving the day lately. Life was definitely busy when I had little tiny ones at my feet. But I am starting to think it’s actually crazier as they get older and have to be run around in different directions in between getting homework done.
And if I don’t get them fed somewhere in there, well, my boys get hangry. Heck, I get kind of cranky myself. That’s why staples like this Mexican shredded chicken are essential!
It’s easy. It’s versatile. And it stays warm in the crockpot, so regardless of who is running in and out, we can all enjoy a hot meal we love. The kids can have their tacos and chips even if I want to opt for a salad or lettuce wraps. And the hubby is usually somewhere in between.
Plus I know other families are like mine with different diets and preferences. I’m gluten free, but that doesn’t mean the rest of my family can’t enjoy a flour tortilla! So everyone gets what they want and need without cooking ten different meals.
How to Make Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken
Start with boneless skinless chicken breasts, then toss them in your slow cooker with seasonings and a jar of your favorite salsa. By dinnertime you’ll have moist and tasty chicken you can pile on all of your favorite Tex Mex meals, from tacos and nachos to burrito bowls and salads.
Stir in a can of black beans to stretch the meal to serve more people and stretch your budget by adding some frugal and filling protein and fiber. You can also double the ingredients to feed a crowd.
Here is a brief overview so you can see just how easy it is to make. Scroll down to the printable recipe card for the full quantities and details.
But don’t skip my PRO TIPS below!
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Chili powder
- Salt and pepper
- Salsa – use your favorite brand of jarred salsa, your preference of whether you like it mild, medium, or hot
- Black beans – one can, drained and rinsed. These can be omitted for a keto and paleo recipe.
Directions overview – scroll to the recipe card for the full set of instructions
- Add chicken to the crockpot and sprinkle with chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the salsa over the top.
- Cover, and cook on Low for 6-8 hours.
- Shred the chicken with a fork.
- Stir in the black beans.
- Cover and cook on low for another 20 to 30 minutes or until heated through.
- Use to make your favorite Mexican meals.
Make it a meal
- Chicken Burrito Bowls – spoon the chicken over brown rice, white rice, or cauliflower rice and add your favorite burrito toppings.
- Kid-Friendly Guacamole
- Chili Lime Corn
Mexican Party Favorites
- Mexican Pulled Chicken Sliders
- Sheet Pan Nachos (recipe coming soon)
Brianne’s pro recipe tips
You can easily double this recipe to feed a crowd. Put it out at a party with taco shells, tortilla chips, lettuce leaves, rice, and your favorite toppings for a DIY Mexican food buffet. Be sure to add some Easy Cheesy Mexican Dip.
It also freezes well if you want to make a double batch and store in your freezer. Let cool and place in an airtight freezer-safe container or plastic freezer storage bags. It is best to use within 1 to 2 months.
- Gluten free – the ingredients in this recipe are naturally gluten free.
- Low carb or keto – omit the beans and be sure to use a brand of salsa that does not have added sugar.
- Paleo – omit the beans and be sure to use a brand of salsa that does not have added sugar.
More slow cooker shredded chicken recipes
- Slow Cooker Balsamic Chicken
- Slow Cooker Apple Cider Pulled Chicken
- Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken
- Shredded Sweet Soy Sauce Chicken from Recipe Tin Eats
More Mexican recipes
Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken with Black Beans
- Place chicken in a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker and sprinkle with chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Pour salsa over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- About 20-30 minutes before you plan to eat, remove the chicken from the slow cooker andf shred with forks, add the black beans, and mix everything thoroughly before replacing the lid.
- Return the chicken to the slow cooker, stir in the blank beans, if using, replace the lid and cook on Low for another 20-30 minutes or until heated through.
- Use to make tacos, nachos, salads, lettuce wraps, rice bowls, and more.