This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Smooth and creamy with the perfect zing of lime, this easy Avocado Crema recipe is a delicious and healthy alternative to guacamole. It makes a great dip for tortilla chips or veggies, and a perfect topping for nachos, tacos, and so much more. The flavors are kept simple too, so it’s sure to be a hit with even the pickiest eaters!
Avocado Crema With Greek Yogurt
While salsa, guacamole, and sour cream might be your typical taco toppings, sometimes you just want a little change of pace. That’s why I love Avocado Lime Crema. If you are already getting the spice from your meal and have all the chunky additions to your salsa, this is a smooth alternative to combine the richness of guac and the cool, creaminess of the sour cream.
And let’s talk about the picky eaters out there. You know, those (like me) that aren’t huge fans of raw onions or garlic. Or even the people that don’t like cilantro. Most other avocado cream recipes have at least a couple of those ingredients. And while my kid-friendly guacamole is free of too many chunks or too much spice, this is completely smooth and heat-free. Even the cilantro is just an optional garnish.
Plus, it is made with Greek yogurt, keeping it light, fresh, and healthy.
Besides topping tacos and nachos, it’s perfect to set out for dipping chips or as something different than your usual dips for veggies. You can dollop some on top of a burrito bowl, or even spread it on a burger. Keep reading for even more serving ideas.
You only need three ingredients, plus a little salt. It’s simple, but with plenty of flavor from that fresh lime juice and the rich avocado.
- Avocado: Just one ripe avocado is all you need. When you press on the skin, you’ll want it to give slightly, but not be mushy, and if you pop out the stem, it should be bright green in the little hole. If your avocado is too firm, you’ll want to give it a couple more days to ripen before you try to make this recipe.
- Greek yogurt: If you use nonfat or lowfat yogurt, you’ll have a lower calorie dip. Using whole milk yogurt or even sour cream will increase the fat content to make it keto-friendly.
- Fresh lime juice: I do not recommend bottled lime juice, as it will make the avocado cream too bitter. You only need two tablespoons, or about one lime, though you could add extra if you want to thin it out a bit.
- Salt: Just add a bit to your taste.
How to Make Avocado Lime Crema
All you need to do is cut your avocado open, remove the pit, and scoop it into a small food processor, blender, or even a bowl. Add the Greek yogurt, lime juice, and a pinch of salt. Then puree until smooth or mash it with a fork until it is smooth and creamy. Season to taste with additional salt, if needed, and enjoy!
Tips for Success
This is so easy to make that the main tips are about how to store it to keep it fresh and bright green!
Will avocado crema turn brown?
The acid from the lime and Greek yogurt helps prevent the avocado from browning. However, if you are not going to eat it right away, press plastic wrap against the surface of the avocado crema to seal out the air that causes it to turn brown and you will further minimize any discoloration.
How long will avocado cream last?
If sealed airtight as recommended and kept in the refrigerator, it will last up to about three days. Even if slightly discolored, it is still safe to eat. You may want to stir it before eating.
Whip up this easy avocado crema recipe to serve as a dip or topping for pretty much anything. It’s great simply to go along with veggies or tortilla chips, or in place of the traditional avocado mash when you make Gluten Free Avocado Toast. But we also like to make it with many dinners that we love! Here are some ideas:
Use it as a dip
Use it as a topping
Blender or Food Processor: I love using my Blendtec blender to make this recipe, but a mini food processor is also a great option.
Citrus Juicer: One of my favorite kitchen gadgets, a handheld juicer makes it quick and easy to get the maximum juice out of your limes.
Mini Spatulas: I keep a huge selection for scooping stuff out of measuring cups, scraping down the sides of a blender or food processor, or spreading a dip into a bowl.
As I mentioned, my favorite way to make this avocado crema is in my Blendtec high-powered blender. The Twister Jar with the scraping lid makes it super easy to scrape done the sides while it is blending.
If you purchase a Blendtec and use the code CUPCAKESANDKALECHIPS, you will receive 2o% off. I am a Blendtec Ambassador so earn a commission on sales, but I have been using their products for years and I am always thrilled to recommend them.
- one avocado
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (can also use sour cream)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- salt, to taste
- Slice the avocado in half lengthwise. Remove the pit and scoop out the flesh into a small food processor or blender. Or you can put it in a bowl if you re going to use a hand blender or just mash it with a fork.
- Add the Greek yogurt and lime juice and a pinch of salt, then puree or mash until smooth. Add more lime juice, if desired, to adjust the consistency. Adjust seasoning to taste with salt, if needed.
- Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days with plastic wrap pressed to the surface to prevent browning.