This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
#SundaySupper has a menu with recipes of Super Eats perfect for the Big Game. Or any game. Or really any day, because who doesn’t love game day grub? I’ve got an entire cheesy, hearty, (heck, even portable, if you want to bring it to a party or tailgating) meal all packed into one giant sandwich. These Barbecue Chicken Sloppy Sandwiches will satisfy your entire starting lineup!
Barbecue Chicken Sloppy Sandwiches
Today is the Big Game! And I made super giant sandwich for Super Sunday! My family loves these sloppy sandwiches. Remember past year’s Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Sandwich? And they are so easy to assemble when you are looking to feed a big crowd. Sure, they are messy, but isn’t that the fun of game day foods. I mean, wings, nachos? Clearly not fine dining. I think that if you aren’t licking your fingers by halftime, clearly you are doing something wrong.
So since they are a family favorite, and I had to get some game day grub ready for you, I made these Barbecue Chicken Sloppy Sandwiches when I had mt family over for dinner a few weeks ago.
You see, I didn’t have all of the groceries I needed, so The Hubby had to pick up a few things for me on Saturday morning on his way home from the gym. Yes, I’m, a stay-at-home mom, but I also have a baby who really likes his morning nap and is kind of a mess the rest of the day if he doesn’t get it, and a 3-year-old who is either exhausted or spazzy after school. Plus it’s been, like 20 below (exaggerating – I’m in New Jersey, not Wisconsin). So yes, I do sometimes send my full-time-job-working Hubby to the store. I pay the price for that, though, since he usually comes home with twice the amount of items that are on the list and random crap I don’t buy, and, you know, picks up the loaf of bread with nasty sesame seeds on it because he didn’t read the label and just saw that it said “Italian Bread”. Yuck!
Mom was arrived around lunchtime, and I spent some time catching up with her, not paying attention to the fact that my daylight was fading. So I threw the sandwich together, and while it was in the oven the sun literally disappeared. Then, of course, we were also having grandpa over for dinner. My normal dinnertime is 6:30. When mom is here, we usually adjust a little earlier to 6. When grandpa is coming over, the very latest we can tell him is 5:30. My guys and I are rarely even hungry by then. But if you tell him 5:30, do not, I repeat, DO NOT have dinner ready at 5:32. He doesn’t get mad, but you can see him starting to fidget and get antsy.
Sun disappearing + grandpa ready to eat = horrible lighting + no time for food styling = most unappetizing photos ever!
Let me just tell you, these are more delicious than they look. And The Hubby just bought me some professional lighting. Love him! Now if only there were something we could do about grandpa. Kidding – love him too!
Oh, and gluten free folks – you can always put aside some of the filling and turn it into an awesome grilled cheese on some gluten free bread, like I did with the Buffalo Chicken filling.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter every Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
And make sure you check out all of the great recipes at the bottom of this post!
Do you send your spouse to the grocery store? Do they come home with things you would never buy, or with lots of stuff you didn’t need?
Barbecue Chicken Sloppy Sandwiches
- 1 ½ cups barbecue sauce (homemade or your favorite brand)
- 1¼ – 1½ lb chicken breasts and/or thighs, cooked and chopped, or about 4 cups cooked, chopped chicken from a whole or store-bought rotisserie chicken
- 2 cups shredded cheddar and/or monterey jack cheese
- One 1 lb loaf Italian bread
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix the barbecue sauce, and chicken.
- Stir in the cheese until it is evenly distributed.
- Slice open the loaf of bread lengthwise, and fill with the chicken mixture.
- Wrap the sandwich tightly in aluminum foil.
- Bake on a cookie sheet in the oven for 30-45 minutes, or until hot and gooey in the center.
- Slice and serve.
Gotta feed a crowd? Try these…
And check out this tasty Game Day menu from the #SundaySupper team:
Game Day Appetizers:
- Honey Mustard Pretzel Crunch from Shockingly Delicious
- Salt and Vinegar Wings from Casa de Crews
- Saucy Wings and Thighs from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Macaroni and Cheese Spring Rolls from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Steak Rolls from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Alpine Sliders from Manu’s Menu
- Hellfire Wings from Yours and Mine Are Ours
- Easy Nacho Bar from Momma’s Meals
- Jalapeno Popper Taquitos from Curious Cuisiniere
- Skinny Game Day Guacamole Potato Skins from Daily Dish Recipes
- Buffalo Chicken Lasagna Cups from Alida’s Kitchen
- Spinach-Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers from La Cocina de Leslie
- BBQ Veggie Mini Burgers from Happy Baking Days
- Spicy Roasted Corn Shrimp Dip from Food Lust People Love
- Honey-Sriracha Pigs in a Blanket from Hip Foodie Mom
- Beer Cheese Fondue from Melanie Makes
- Cheesy Artichoke and Garlic Bread from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Whole Wheat Pepperoni Pizza Bites from Meal Planning Magic
- Personal Chili Pots from MealDiva
- Italian Spring Rolls from Noshing with The Nolands
- Mexican Meatballs with Queso Blanco from Cooking on the Ranch
- Parmigiano Crisps from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Buffalo Chicken Potstickers from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Mediterranean Nachos from The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Chinese Barbecue Wings from girlichef
- Mini Veggie Quesadillas from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Roasted Tomato Hummus from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Cashew Baba Ghanoush : Roasted Eggplant Dip from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Buffalo Chicken Wing Dip Potato Skins from Family Foodie
- Lemon Bay Pan Roasted Shrimp from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventure
- Honey Sesame Seed Crackers from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
Game Day Entrees:
- Super Sloppy Joes from The Foodie Army Wife
- Buffalo Chicken Chili from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mini Meatball and Mozzarella Sandwiches from Cookin’ Mimi
- Super Bowl Bento from Ninja Baking
- Vegetarian “Chorizo” and Black Bean Chili from Foxes Love Lemons
- Twice Baked Chili Cheese Potatoes from Neighborfood
- Barbecue Chicken Sloppy Sandwiches from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Easy Vegetarian Chili from Delaware Girl Eats
- Game Day Chili from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Dr. Pepper Turkey Chili from The Texan New Yorker
Game Day Desserts:
- Heavenly Hash Cookies from The Foodie Patootie
- Cookie Dough Billionaire Bars from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Streusel Bars from Magnolia Days
- Coffee Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake Squares from Desserts Required
- Microwave Caramel Popcorn from Pies and Plots
- Mini Coconut Cups from Basic N Delicious
- Triple Chocolate S’mores Brownies from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Cracker Jack Candy from What Smells So Good?
Oh YUM!! I love BBQ chicken and this sandwich looks amazing!!
Now I’m craving BBQ chicken. We probably haven’t had it since a summer grill out :(. And, the idea of a grilled cheese with this filling sounds fantastic!
I love barbecue – we have it at various times of year to satisfy the craving!
I could eat game day grub any day!
I think the pictures still look appetizing! I would be all over these sloppy sandwiches. And I totally get the sending-the-hubby to the store conundrum. My husband is willing, which I am thankful for, but he’s not good at sticking to the list. We always end up with loads of junk food when he shops!
Perfect for a bunch of hungry folks! I’d down one in a snap
Haha we will forgive you about the lighting, I’m sure it was still amazing!!! PS it must have been nuts where you are in Jersey last night, oy!
How lucky for your family, Brianne, to have such a creative wife/daughter and mommy who can pull together healthy and palate-pleasing dinners in 60 minutes or less!
Yum! I think these look delicious! BBQ is always a favorite in our home. And what is it with husbands and grocery shopping? Mine calls me 10,000 times to read the labels of everything to make sure it’s right. Sounds great, but I usually ask him to pick up something because, hello, I’m busy. And if I’m getting 10,000 phone calls and listening to someone read labels it’s not really saving me a lot of time. And then once he came home without the main item I wanted anyway. Seems he left it on the conveyor belt at the store. LOL.
I’ve had the hubby text me photos of things to make sure he was getting the right thing.
Yummy! I love BBQ chicken sandwiches and this version looks amazing!
Great history, and the sloppy chicken look yummy.
These look awesome! You are absolutely right: you can never go wrong with barbecue sauce and chicken together! 🙂
Don’t forget the cheese! 🙂
BBQ chicken makes such great sandwiches. Wish I had one right now.
It definitely does!
My husband doesn’t eat wings because he says they are too much work for such a small bit of chicken. He would love this sandwich. All the flavor of the wings in a bun. Nice!
YUM! Even better than sloppy joe’s!!!!
I know, definjtely!!
You basically had me at barbecue; yummmm
Yeah, barbecue is always a good thing!
I have to remember, Game Day Grub! So totally describes the delicious dishes we love while watching the game and/or hanging with friends. Love that you used bbq chicken in your sloppy joes!
It is a perfect phrase! Thanks Betsy.
You make such delicious looking sandwiches and this is another one!!!
Thanks so much Tara!
I just love BBQ chicken and I love your sloppy joes! Yummy!!
Hahaha Oh man..I kinda laughed but at the same time can’t relate because I have no kids..lol but the whole lighting, everyones here..need to hurry thing..I can relate to lol
Love these sandwiches!
Maybe the family will come to understand and accept the demands of the job someday 🙂
These look wonderful! Barbecue chicken in whatever form is really one of my favorite meals. Thanks for posting!
You can never go wrong with barbecue sauce and chicken together!
My hubby does the same thing! When I send him to the store to get one thing, he comes back with 7. And for whatever reason I think all husbands, who don’t usually grocery shop, all come back with the random crap! Mine comes back with whatever is on sale. And I don’t know what you’re talking about- I think your photos came out great! I love a good sloppy joe! and I feel you on the weather. . b/c I DO live in Wisconsin! Ah!! this winter is harsh!
These men! Such silliness! I could never survive in Wisconsin – props to you!