Cheesy Hot Dog Taquitos
Cheesy Hot Dog Taquitos are a Tex Mex twist on the usual wrapped hot dogs, turning them into baked taquitos. This cheesy hot dog recipe is one of our favorite quick and easy dinner recipes, or it makes a fun game day snack. Adults and kids will love eating Mexican hot dogs.
Mexican Hot Dog Taquitos Recipe
There’s always that old joke about hot dogs coming with eight in a package and rolls coming with six or twelve or some other number that’s not eight. Honestly, every package of hot dog rolls I see in the grocery store has eight rolls, so I’m not sure why this perceived discrepancy has become part of our culture. The only discrepancy I see is that in my family we buy a package of hot dogs, a package of rolls, and only two people actually want their hot dog on a roll, and then what do you do with the rest of the hot dog rolls?
Banana dogs is what you do. Banana dogs? Yes, banana dogs. I slather some peanut butter of sunflower seed butted on those rolls, pop a banana in there, and then pack them in my kids’ lunchboxes.
See. Banana dogs.
But wait a second. Listen to this. I buy an organic brand of hot dogs, and do you know what they did? They started making the dogs slightly bigger, but only putting six in the package. So all four of us still want two hot dogs, because they aren’t, like, super ginormous dogs, which means I need eight hot dogs. So, I have to buy two packages, which means twelve hot dogs, and then I either have the kids begging for a third hot dog (umm, no, because nobody really needs to eat three hot dogs) or I have four leftover hot dogs. And then what do I do with four leftover hot dogs?
Oh goodness, I have nothing clever for this one, although a friend once told me she makes hot dog fried rice with leftover rice, so maybe I need to give that a shot.
But wait, there’s more. Corn tortillas. The small package has ten, which I suppose is usually enough, except that for about ten cents more I can buy thirty. So, thinking I’m getting a deal, I buy thirty, especially since my boys can down some tacos on taco night. But thirty? What do you do with thirty corn tortillas?
Well, since I have to buy twelve hot dogs…
Cheesy Hot Dog Taquitos are one of our favorite quick and easy dinner recipes!
These are sure to be a crowd pleaser in your house too. You’ll love how quick and easy they are to assemble, and the kids will absolutely love eating them. It’s like a Mexican twist on the classic hot dogs wrapped in crescent rolls (aka pigs in a blanket, but we were quite literal in my house growing up).
Cheesy Hot Dog Taquitos really couldn’t be easier. Just warm the corn tortillas in the microwave until they are pliable. Sprinkle on some shredded cheddar cheese and lay the hot dog on top of the cheese-covered tortilla. Roll it up as tightly as possible. If you roll it tightly enough, you might be able to just lay it so that the end of the tortilla is on the bottom and it won’t unroll, but you can also secure it with a couple of toothpicks. Brush the outside lightly with olive oil and bake until the hot dog is, well, hot, and the tortilla is crispy.
How do you serve Cheesy Hot Dog Taquitos?
- If your kids are like mine, then it’s all about the ketchup, regardless of whether you are going for a Mexican-inspired meal. My Homemade Ketchup can be stirred together in five minutes.
- The obvious choice to me is salsa or guacamole. This Kid-Friendly Guacamole doesn’t have big chinks of peppers or onions to turn off those picky eaters. Mango Avocado Salsa is always a favorite here, or stick with a classic Restaurant Style Homemade Salsa.
- And a drizzle of Greek yogurt or sour cream also makes a nice touch.
- Mexican Pepper Jack Baked Cauli-Tots are a perfect side dish.
- Keep them whole for dinner, or cut them in half for a fun finger food if you want to serve these hot dog taquitos as a party appetizer.
Here’s a few other recipes you might enjoy…
- Buffalo Bacon Blue Cheese Hot Dogs
- BBQ Chicken Tostadas
- Easy Cheesy Mexican Dip
- Chili Lime Fish Stick Tacos
For more yumminess from me and my foodie friends, keep up with me on…
Or sign up to have Cupcakes & Kale Chips delivered straight to your Inbox!
Your family will love this Cheesy Hot Dog Taquitos recipe as much as mine does!
Cheesy Hot Dog Taquitos
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (about 4 oz.)
- 8 hot dogs
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil (approximately)
- Greek yogurt or sour cream plus salsa, guacamole, etc. for dipping
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Wrap tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave for 15-30 seconds, or until soft and pliable.
- Lay tortillas out on a flat surface and sprinkle with cheddar cheese, about two tablespoons on each.
- Place a hot dog on one end of one of the tortillas and roll up as tightly as possible, and set on a baking sheet. Secure with toothpicks if necessary.
- Repeat with the remaining hot dogs.
- Brush the outsides and bottoms of the tortillas with olive oil, and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the hot dogs are cooked through and the tortillas are crisp and golden.
- Drizzle with Greek yogurt or sour cream, if desired, and dip in salsa, guacamole, Greek yogurt, or sour cream if you like. You can also cut each one in half to serve as finger food appetizers.