Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken Black Bean Tacos
Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken Black Bean Tacos are an easy and delicious Mexican meal any night of the week. They are also a great option for gluten free Cinco de Mayo food!
#SundaySupper is slowly easing into 2014 with a menu of recipes to make in your slow cooker. With only three basic ingredients (plus a few shakes of some spices), this recipe makes it easy to feed the family for dinner on a busy night, or the whole gang you have over for the big game. You’ll be all ready to make a taco bar, rice bowls, burritos, nachos, and more. Fire up the crock pot to make a salsa chicken black bean mixture that everyone will love!
Do you have a deep freezer or chest freezer? I swear, those things are like a food abyss. Things go in and mysteriously get sucked into a parallel universe, only to reappear when they are well past their expiration date, or a freezer burned beyond recognition. It’s like The Matrix for food.
Mine currently is home to a small stash of milk for the baby and frozen cubes of homemade baby food. And frozen shrimp, for when I need a quick meal. Plus gluten free bread, and breakfast sandwiches The Hubby always buys at Costco. And a dwindling stash of mini muffins that The Bug is still willing to eat, even though they have become a bit dry (mom of the year!). Oh, and some various and sundry cuts of chicken and beef that I stock up on when they are on sale.
Soooo, I had to start a conscious effort to use up some of the inventory in order to fit everything that I would be making. Such is the life of a food blogger, I suppose. We’ve made a pretty good dent, and now that the holidays are over, we are down to one remaining dozen pierogies, a few random cookies that I’ll be sending into work with The Hubby (I’d rather sabotage their New Year’s resolutions than my own), and a dwindling supply of baby food cubes.
Except that all the space that the goodies were taking up are now being filled with an ever-growing layer of ice from opening the freezer eleventy-billion times. Which means it is time to defrost the freezer. That is even scarier than digging through to find something to make for dinner. I’m totally expecting to find something that expired in 2004. Fun times!
This salsa chicken black bean tacos recipe (if you can even call it a recipe) was first “created” as I was trying to use up some meat I had in the basement freezer, and some random things in my pantry. And seriously, doesn’t everybody have a can of black beans and a jar of salsa lying around pretty much all the time? You can season up your chicken a bit with chili powder and/or cumin if you want some more smokiness or spice, pick the heat level of your salsa, totally customize it just how you like it. And adding in the beans adds some extra fiber, and stretches you dollar a little bit, too. See, you can hit on all of your resolutions – cook more at home, eat healthier, save money, save time! #winning
We’ve mainly been using it to make tacos, but The Hubby threw together a rice bowl a la Chipotle, I’ve made taco salad, and when I made a ginormous batch (yes, you can easily double or triple the recipe if you have a big crock pot) for New Year’s Day, I saved some leftovers to make salsa chicken enchiladas.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
And make sure you check out all of the deliciousness coming out of the #SundaySupper team’s slow cookers at the bottom of this post.
Tell me I am not the only one who has food disappear into a freezer abyss.
Enjoy these slow cooker salsa chicken black bean tacos!
Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken Black Bean Tacos
- 1 1/2-2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt pepper, cumin, chili powder
- one 16 oz. jar of your favorite salsa mild, medium or hot, as desired
- one can of black beans drained and rinsed
- Taco fixings - tortillas shredded cheese, lettuce, sour cream, guacamole, etc.
- Season your chicken with salt, pepper, cumin and chili powder, as much as you like depending on how spicy you want your chicken, and how spice your salsa is (I usually just use a little sprinkle), and place in your slow cooker.
- Pour salsa over the chicken.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- About 20-30 minutes before you plan to eat, shred the chicken with forks, add the black beans, and mix everything thoroughly before replacing the lid.
- Serve with your favorite taco, nacho, rice bowl, or salad fixings.
Need some more crock pot recipes that only need a few ingredients? Try these…
- Super Simple Slow Cooker Steak Pizzaiola
- Slow Cooker BBQ-Rubbed Turkey Breast
- Slow Cooker Root Beer Pulled Pork
In addition to my salsa chicken black bean tacos, the #SundaySupper team has you covered to slow cook any meal!
- Chicken and Wild Rice Soup from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Low-Carb Chunky Beefy Vegetable Soup from Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Beef, Wine and Mushroom Soup from Noshing With The Nolands
- Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Soup from Foxes Love Lemons
- Beef Stew from The Foodie Army Wife
- Pot Roast and Portabello Stew from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Slow Cooker Black Bean and Polenta Stew from Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Turkey Stew from Magnolia Days
- San Antonio Chunky Chicken Stew from The Weekend Gourmet
- Pumpkin, Chickpea & Lentil Stew from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Slow Cooker Chickpeas from Shockingly Delicious
- Football Sunday Teriyaki Pulled Pork from Family Foodie
- Slow Cooker Apricot Jalapeno Pork Chops from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Vegan Slow Cooker Hoppin’ John from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Slow Cooker Coffee Glazed Brisket from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chipotle Honey BBQ Ribs from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Crockpot Country Style Pork Ribs from Cooking On The Ranch
- Slow Cooker Jerk Pork from Curious Cuisiniere
- Slow Cooker Beef Daube Provencal from Momma’s Meals
- Crock Pot Chicken Cacciatore from The Dinner-Mom
- Chicken and Broccoli from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Tacos de Lengua from The Texan New Yorker
- Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken Black Bean Tacos from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Chinese Chicken from The Ninja Baker
- Slow Cooker Beef Brisket French Dip Sandwiches from Neighborfood