Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Pulled Chicken
Tomato Basil Pulled Chicken is an easy chicken dinner, made in your slow cooker. With just five ingredients plus salt and pepper, you can come home to a fresh and flavorful meal. You can make it a hearty comfort food meal by serving it over pasta or keep it light, healthy, and low carb with cauliflower rice. It’s a great back to school crock pot recipe, too!
Originally published on October 12, 2014. Updated on July 26, 2017.
I thought today was a good time for a little update. A while back, I showed you how I “roast” an entire chicken in my crock pot, when I shared this Lemon Herb Slow Cooker Roast Chicken recipe, and at the same time, I told you about the garden that The Bug wants to plant. With my history of, well, killing plants, I was fearful things would not turn out well, even though I was not the one responsible for the plants.
I was totally wrong.
Our three tomato plants, each in their own giant pot, went craaaaaaayyyyzy! It was like a tomato plant jungle. As in, I think I could have lost my kids in them. Three plants, people, three plants, one of which we thought wasn’t going to survive past the first week. Well, the beefsteaks weren’t so prolific. I mean, the plants were, but we had a relatively mild summer, and without those hot, humid nights, we had quite a number of green ‘maters that never turned red. And sadly I’m not much of a fried green tomato gal. But the ones that did ripen were amazing.
Then we had cherry tomatoes and little pear shaped ones. These plants grew so tall with so many branches, filled with so many tomatoes, that The Hubby pretty much had to rig up scaffolding using a couple of tomato cages, a few stakes we had around, and twist ties. Day after day I could fill larger and larger bowls. I was putting them on salads, the little guy was shoveling fistfuls into his mouth. I roasted big batches with oregano, basil, onion, red wine, and balsamic vinegar, then blended it down to make sauce, of which I still have containers in my freezer. And this was just tons and tons of wee little tomatoes from two plants! I have to be honest, I’m glad we didn’t plant any more.
Total tomato success! Now if only I could get The Bug to eat them. Despite seeding us with the idea to grow tomatoes and taking part in the planting, watering, and picking, the Bug still won’t eat a tomato. Oh well, his loss. And the reason I keep reading him this book.
One day, when I pulled another big bowl of those tomatoes off of the bushes and snipped some basil, I made this tomato basil pulled chicken…
Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Pulled Chicken is a fabulous way to use up garden tomatoes.
Stewing the chicken in balsamic vinegar infused it with moisture and sweet, pungent flavor, then the addition of the tomatoes plus a sprinkling of basil just before serving brought a freshness and lightness to this comforting meal. The, just for a little more punch, I drizzled it with some syrupy reduced balsamic at the end. We enjoyed it over some polenta, but it would be equally tasty over pasta or rice. Or for a low carb option, serve it over cauliflower rice or alongside Greek Zoodles Salad.
I love making chicken in my slow cooker…
- Slow Cooker Lemon Herb Roast Chicken
- Lightened Up Slow Cooker Indian Butter Chicken
- Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken & Black Beans
And so do my friends. It’s Indian food made easy with Slow Cooker Chicken Curry from Well Plated. Slow Cooker Apricot Chicken from Family Food on the Table has intoxicating sweet-savory flavors and aromas. And if you start Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken from The Cookie Rookie in the morning, you won’t have to wait for takeout at dinnertime.
For more yumminess from me and my foodie friends, keep up with me on…
Or sign up to have Cupcakes & Kale Chips delivered straight to your Inbox!
Some things you might need…
You’ve got to try this Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Pulled Chicken recipe
Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Pulled Chicken
A simple, flavorful and fresh chicken dinner recipe from your crockpot.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3-3 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or finely minced
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, left whole
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, cut into chiffonade (fine ribbons)
- Homemade or storebought balsamic reduction, if desired.
- Coat the bottom of your slow cooker with oil. Add the chicken, salt, pepper, garlic, balsamic vinegar, and tomatoes.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours, or until chicken is cooked through and falls apart easily.
- Gently shred the chicken with two forks, add the basil, and toss together to gently combine the chicken, tomatoes, juices and basil.
- Serve over pasta, polenta, or rice, or alongside roasted vegetables and drizzle with balsamic reduction, if desired.
LOVE THIS RECIPE?
Give it a 5 STAR rating and share your photos on Instagram with the hashtag #CKCrecipes!
Here is the rest of today’s slow cooked #SundaySupper menu…
- Crockpot Kielbasa Split Pea Soup from The Foodie Army Wife
- Crock Pot Turkey Meatball Soup from Flour On My Face
- Kale & Kielbasa Soup Slow Cooker Lime Garlic Chicken from The Messy Baker
- Slow Cooker Chicken, Spinach and White Bean Soup from Amee’s Savory Dish
- Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Soup from Noshing With The Nolands
- Spicy Ham and 10-Bean Soup from Food Lust People Love
- Crockpot Caramelized Pork Noodle Soup from Brunch with Joy
- Slow Cooker Acorn Squash and Apple Soup from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Three Bean, Butternut, and Quinoa Vegetarian Chili from Ruffles & Truffles
- Potato, Kielbasa and Spinach Soup With Gouda from Meal Planning Magic
- Slow Cooker Chunky Chicken Tortilla Soup #GlutenFree from Sue’ s Nutrition Buzz
Scrumptious Mains (Breakfast and Dinner)
- Slow Cooked Apple Pie Oatmeal from Life Tastes Good
- Pork and Cabbage Stew from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Slow Cooker Lime Garlic Chicken from Peaceful Cooking
- Slow-Cooked Country Pork and Veggies from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Buffalo Chicken Sliders from Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef from Marlene Baird
- Madras Beef Curry with Vegetables from Curious Cuisiniere
- Crock Pot Pork Chops with Apples and Figs from Cooking On The Ranch
- Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Tacos from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Crockpot Sesame Chicken from Casa de Crews
- Pork Chops in Gravy with Potatoes from Cookin’ Mimi
- Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Pulled Chicken, from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Slow Cooker Spicy Peach Pulled Pork from Family Foodie
- Slow Cooker Garlic Chicken with Artichokes from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Scalloped Potatoes from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions from The Dinner-Mom
- Slow Cooker Brownie Dessert from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Triple Chocolate Cake from MealDIva
- Slow Cooker Rice Pudding from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Slow-Cooker Kheer (Indian Rice Pudding) from Magnolia Days
- Slow Cooker Lemon Poppy Seed Cake from NinjaBaking