This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Slow Cooker Balsamic Chicken with Fresh Tomatoes and Basil is easy, fresh, and flavorful with only five main ingredients. You can make it a hearty comfort food meal by serving it over pasta. Or keep it light, gluten free, and low carb with cauliflower rice. It’s also a great healthy crock pot recipe for busy nights!
Orignally published in July 2014.
A while back, I showed you how I “roast” an entire chicken in my crock pot, when I shared this Lemon Herb Slow Cooker Roast Chicken recipe. At the same time, I told you about the garden my kiddo wanted to plant. With my history of, well, killing plants, I was fearful things would not turn out well.
However, I was totally wrong.
Our three tomato plants, each in their own giant pot, went crazy! It was like a tomato plant jungle. I actually think I could have lost my kids in them.
If you want more fresh tomato recipes, here are 15 of the Best Low-Carb and Gluten-Free Tomato Recipes You Need This Summer!
And, of course, the little guy was shoveling fistfuls into his mouth.
I even roasted big batches with oregano, basil, onion, red wine, and balsamic vinegar, then blended it down to make sauce with I stuck in my freezer. And this was just tons and tons of wee little tomatoes from two plants!
Total tomato success! Well, except for the fact that my big guy still won’t eat a tomato. Oh well, his loss. It’s also the reason I keep reading him this book.
One day, I pulled another big bowl of those tomatoes off of the bushes and snipped some basil. Then with literally like five minutes of prep work, I made this slow cooker chicken recipe…
Slow Cooker Chicken Recipe with Fresh Tomatoes and Basil
Crockpot chicken recipes don’t have to be heavy and rich. This pulled chicken is a light and healthy dish that is super versatile with flavors everyone in the family loves. It is a fabulous way to use up garden tomatoes and the summer abundance of fresh basil. Or it can add a bit of brightness to a cold winter day.
Just toss everything in the slow cooker and come home to delicious aromas through the house. Right before you serve it, shred the chicken and toss in basil to add that freshness!
Here is a brief overview so you can see just how easy it is to make. Scroll down to the printable recipe card for the full quantities and details.
But don’t skip my PRO TIPS below!
What You’ll Need
- Olive oil
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- Balsamic vinegar
- Grape or cherry tomatoes
- Fresh basil
- Optional balsamic reduction for serving
- Slow cooker – I have made this often in my larger Hamilton Beach Slow Cooker because it was the only one I had. But an inexpensive 4-quart slow cooker will be fine too.
- Garlic press – with so few ingredients, I definitely recommend using fresh garlic for the best flavor. A garlic press ensures you don’t end up with any big chunks of garlic.
- Tongs – these are very helpful for shredding the chicken and serving it.
- Coat the bottom of your slow cooker with olive oil.
- Add chicken, salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, garlic, and tomatoes.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Shred chicken.
- Stir in basil.
Based on your side dish choice, you can decide if you want to enjoy this slow cooker chicken as a hearty comfort food dish, or a keto or even Whole 30 meal.
- We enjoyed it over polenta, but it would be equally tasty over pasta or rice.
- You can even spoon it onto regular or gluten free ciabatta rolls and melt some fresh mozzarella for a fabulous sandwich.
- If you have two crockpots, try it with Slow Cooker Parmesan Quinoa.
- For a low carb option, serve it over cauliflower rice or whipped cauliflower.
- Enjoy it alongside Greek Zoodles Salad.
More crockpot chicken recipes
- Orange Saffron Slow Cooker Roast Chicken brings exotic flavors to classic comfort food.
- Start Slow Cooker Orange Sesame Chicken and you won’t have to wait for takeout, plus it’s healthier.
- Crockpot Teriyaki Chicken is a classic dish that you can cook without even being home.
- It’s Indian food made easy with Lightened Up Slow Cooker Indian Butter Chicken
- Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken and Black Beans makes Taco Tuesday super easy.
- Slow Cooker Apricot Chicken from Family Food on the Table has intoxicating sweet-savory flavors and aromas.
- Slow Cooker Garlic Chicken with Artichokes from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen is also a flavor-packed option.
Slow Cooker Chicken Recipe with Tomatoes, Basil, and Balsamic
Stewing this crockpot pulled chicken in balsamic vinegar infuses it with moisture and sweet, bold flavor. The addition of the tomatoes plus a sprinkling of basil just before serving makes this comforting dish light and fresh. Then, just for a little more punch, drizzle with syrupy reduced balsamic at the end.
I hope you’ll leave a comment and give it a FIVE STAR rating or share a review on Pinterest or photo on Instagram!
Tag me @cupcakekalechip and use #cupcakesandkalechips!
Slow Cooker Balsamic Chicken with Tomatoes and Basil
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves garlic crushed or finely minced
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes left whole
- 1/4 cup basil leaves cut into chiffonade (fine ribbons)
- Homemade or store-bought balsamic reduction if desired.
- Coat the bottom of your slow cooker with oil. Add the chicken, salt, pepper, garlic, balsamic vinegar, and tomatoes.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours, or until chicken is cooked through and falls apart easily.
- Gently shred the chicken with two forks, add the basil, and toss together to gently combine the chicken, tomatoes, juices and basil.
- Serve over pasta, polenta, or rice, or alongside roasted vegetables and drizzle with balsamic reduction, if desired.