Chorizo Sweet Potato Tortilla Bites
Chorizo sweet potato tortilla bites are the perfect bite sized appetizers for Cinco de Mayo! These gluten free appetizers are a sweet, smoky, spicy twist on the classic Spanish tapas recipe, tortilla Espanola!
#SundaySupper is having a Tapas Party! Pour a glass of sangria, make a bunch of small plates, and travel to Spain with us by exploring this collection of over 40 tapas recipe, including my twist on a classic Spanish tapas recipe, Chorizo and Sweet Potato Spanish Tortilla Bites.
Spanish Chorizo Sweet Potato Tortilla Bites
Disclosure: There are affiliate links in this post, meaning that if you click and make a purchase, the cost to you is the same, but I will receive a few pennies. I use the money to help maintain this website and to bring you new recipes!
I finally came clean to my husband.
I’m in Orlando for the weekend for the Food Wine Conference. I wanted to attend all along, but due to circumstances originally didn’t think I would be able to make it. Well, then I got a big surprise. As was announced last night, I won the Famous Idaho Potatoes Poutine Recipe Contest with my Buffalo Chicken Poutine on Potato Waffles. I totally had to be there! But I wanted to make things as easy on The Hubby, so I booked a late flight home on Sunday in order to be able to take the kids to school on Monday. I wasn’t thrilled about this late flight, but I was going to do it.
Then I found out that not only were we having a virtual #SundaySupper tapas party, but after the conference were were going to have a live tapas party at Tapa Toro in Orlando. The “afterparty” the past two years has been so much fun, and this year we are integrating the #SundaySupper theme and Twitter party into the gathering that I really wanted to be part of the festivities.
But I totally played on his inclinations towards doing what makes the most sense for safety and practicality. And after a super busy and exhausting weekend, having a flight with a scheduled arrival time of 11:30pm, hoping it is on time, waiting for my luggage, taking the shuttle to the parking deck, and driving an hour home was neither safe nor practical. He immediately blocked his calendar to get the boys to school Monday morning so that I could get a flight the next morning. Much safer. Much more practical.
And it meant that I would be able to attend the party!
OK, I did tell him about the event, but initially I might have twisted the truth just a teensy bit, just like I twisted a traditional Spanish tapas recipe…
Chorizo Sweet Potato Tortilla Bites are a tasty spin on classic Tortilla Espanola, which is essentially a crustless quiche or the Spanish version of a frittata. Typically, they are made with eggs and potatoes, maybe some cheese, and occasionally chorizo. The tortilla is usually cut into small wedges, and can be served hot or at room temperature.
Well, I loves me some chorizo, so there was no way I was skipping that, and I thought it would be fun to swap the potatoes for sweet potatoes. I love adding a slightly sweet flavor to balance the smoky, spicy, bold flavor of the chorizo. Then a nice handful of Manchego cheese adds that sharp, salty element, though if you can’t get your hands on Manchego, you can always use parmesan, pecorino, or a good sharp white cheddar. Bake it in a large baking dish, cut it into bites, and you have a ton of tapas!
Finally, I made a simple Greek yogurt dip with just a bit of smoked paprika and hot sauce. This is totally optional, but it adds a nice, cool, creamy element that enhances the flavors already in the tortilla.
If you are having a tapas party or serving it as an appetizer, you can cut the big tortilla into little cubes, but this also makes a fabulous breakfast or brunch dish too!
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here:Sunday Supper Movement.
After you get the chorizo sweet potato tortilla bites recipe, check out the other tasty tapas recipes at the bottom of this post!
Come clean to me, what excuses have you used to attend an event?
For more yumminess from me and my foodie friends, keep up with me on…
Or sign up to have Cupcakes & Kale Chips delivered straight to your Inbox!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large red onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper divided
- 6 oz Spanish chorizo cured spiced pork sausage, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1 1/2 lb sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 9 large eggs
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup finely shredded Manchego or extra sharp white Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- pinch salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly spray or grease a 13- by 9-inch baking pan or dish.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet (I used cast iron) over medium-high heat.
- Add red onion, garlic, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and cook about 6 minutes, or until the onions are softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chorizo and cook another 4-5 minutes, or until starting to brown.
- Reduce heat to medium, then stir in sweet potatoes and cover the skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl to cool slightly.
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, Greek yogurt, cheese, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle chorizo and sweet potato mixture over eggs (some pieces will stick out).
- Bake about 18-22 minutes, or until the eggs are set.
Cool slightly in the pan, then cut into about 1 or 1 1/2 inch cubes. (about 24 total servings)
- Can be served warm or at room temperature with optional dipping sauce.
- Add ingredients to a small bowl and stir until combined. Season to taste.
Adapted from epicurious.
Enjoy this Chorizo Sweet Potato Spanish Tortilla Bites recipe!
Here are some more little nibbles…
Plus the entire #SundaySupper tapas menu…
Para Empezar, Las Tapas (Appetizers/tapas) –
- Apple, Chorizo, and Manchego Crostini by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Champiñones al Ajillo by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Chorizo and Sweet Potato Spanish Tortilla Bites by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Citrus & Fennel Marinated Olives by Go Epicurista
- Clams Casino Dip with Bacon by Girl Abroad
- Crab Enchilado Empanadas with Avocado Cream by Gourmet Everyday
- Deviled Eggs with Shrimp by Our Good Life
- Gambas al Ajillo (Garlic Shrimp) by Pook’s Pantry
- Garlicky Shrimp with Pancetta Olive Oil by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Gazpacho Cucumber Bites by A Mind Full Mom
- Gildas Picantes – Spicy Anchovy Olive Skewers by Food Lust People Love
- Herbed and Spiced Almonds by Get the Good Stuff!
- How to make Beef Sweet Sour Meatballs with Pineapple for #SundaySupper by Asian In America
- Manchego Cheese & Chorizo Bites with Saffron Alioli by Hardly A Goddess
- Margarita Ceviche by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pinchos Morunos (Spanish Pork Skewers) with Mojo Picon by Curious Cuisiniere
- Roasted Bell Pepper Goat Cheese Bites by She Loves Biscotti
- Roasted Eggplant and Piquillo Pepper Toasts by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Roasted Red Peppers and Anchovies with Bruschetta by The Hungry Goddess
- Seared Scallops with Shredded Manchego and a Bleu Cheese Crumble by The Freshman Cook
- Serrano Ham & Goat Cheese Croquettes by My World Simplified
- Serrano Ham Bites with Melon and Cheese by Palatable Pastime
- Shrimp Romesco Bites by Cooking On The Ranch
- Smoked Sardine Crostini by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Spanish Garlic Shrimp by Life Tastes Good
- Tomato Gazpacho With Fried Avocado Bites by Nik Snacks
- Tortilla de Camarones by The Healthy Fit Foodie
- Tortilla Española by Monica’s Table
- White Wine Marinated Steak with Blue Cheese by Caroline’s Cooking
- Zanahorias Aliñadas (Spanish Marinated Carrots) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
Postres (Desserts) –
- Buñuelos de Viento by Dessert Geek
- Chocolate Orange Macarons by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Chocolate Toasts with Apricot Jam by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Churro Bites with Chocolate Sauce by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Churro Cupcakes by Pies and Plots
- Mini Vanilla Flans by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mini Dulce de Leche Cheesecakes by The Redhead Baker
Bebidas (Drinks) –
- Tinto de Verano ~ A Sangria alternative by An Appealing Plan
Plus Alcachofas al Ajillo – Garlicky Artichokes – and Spanish Tapas Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement