Lemon White Wine Green Beans and Mushrooms
Buttery Lemon Green Beans and Mushrooms are an easy vegetable side dish with the fresh, crisp flavor of white wine and citrus. This began as a family-favorite holiday recipe, but it is so quick and simple you can even enjoy it with a fast weeknight meal.
My family all used to live very close together, getting togethe ron a regular basis as well as for every holiday. Now that we live in different places and have very busy lives, we only get together for some of those special occasions or holidays. But wheever we do see each other, there is always a special meal involved.
But we did manage to sneak in some veggies, in the form of a side dish which we simply call green beans and mushrooms. Mushrooms sautéed with butter and onions, then mixed with steamed green beans.
So I thought I would “fancy it up” a bit with the addition of some light, citrusy white wine, and a little lemon and thyme.
Green Beans in Lemon Butter White Wine Sauce
The flavor of lemon white wine sauce is so refreshing, balancing and lightening the earthy flavor of the mushrooms. In fact, though this is a new twist on our Christmas Eve favorite, the lighter flavor means it can also pair well with spring and summer meals, as well. It is full of flavor, but with a crispness that keeps it from being too dominating.
Here is a brief overview so you can see just how easy it is to make. Scroll down to the printable recipe card for the full quantities and details.
But don’t skip my PRO TIPS below!
- Fresh green beans – washed and ends snapped off.
- Unsalted butter
- Onion – finely chopped
- Thyme – fresh or dried.
- Mushrooms – wiped clean and sliced.
- White wine – recommend Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, or Pinot Grigio, though even a Moscato will work. Make sure it is something you would drink, not “cooking wine”.
- Lemon juice – freshly squeezed is recommended.
- Salt and pepper
Directions overview – scroll to the recipe card for the full set of instructions
- Steam green beans until slightly less done than you prefer.
- In a skillet, saute the onion and thyme in butter.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until soft.
- Pour in the white wine and lemon juice and reduce slightly.
- Add the green beans and toss to coat.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Make it a meal
Sunday chicken dinner
- Lemon Herb Slow Cooker Roast Chicken or Balsamic Oven Roasted Chicken
- Bacon Cheddar Mashed Potatoes or Bacon Cheddar Mashed Cauliflower
Grilled chicken dinner
Weeknight beef dinner
More green bean recipes
- Creamy Skillet Green Beans and Mushrooms
- Cranberry Orange Glazed Green Beans
- Pineapple Green Beans with Pecans
- Balsamic Green Beans with Goat Cheese
- Green Beans with Bacon from Mom on Timeout
More vegetable side dish recipes
- Whipped Cauliflower Gratin
- Brown Butter Sauteed Summer Vegetables
- Balsamic Roasted Vegetables
- Lemon Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
Buttery Lemon White Wine Green Beans and Mushrooms
- 1 lb green beans, ends snapped off
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (half a stick)
- 1 small to medium onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 oz. mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Juice of one lemon (about 1/4 cup)
- Salt and pepper
- Place a steamer basket in a pot and add about an inch of water. Place the green beans o the basked and bring to a simmer.
- Steam the green beans until they are just slightly underdone, as per your preference. Set aside.
- In a large saute pan, melt the butter over medium heat, add the onion and thyme, and cook for about 5 minutes, or until soft and translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and saute until the mushrooms are soft.
- Pour in the wine and lemon juice, allow to reduce for a minute or so, and then add the green beans, and stir to coat, coking until the green beans are heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.