This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Need a new idea for a quinoa side dish? Cheesy Quinoa has plenty of cheddar cheese to make the whole family happy. It’s a healthy and naturally gluten free side dish packed with protein and whole grains. And it’s one of our favorite easy quinoa recipes because it’s totally kid-approved!
An Easy Quinoa Side Dish – Kid Approved!
I’ll be honest, it can be a struggle to get my kids to eat quinoa. But I do have one trick up my sleeve…
Cheese. Lots of cheese.
Yes, cheddar cheese is the key to convincing my kids to eat quinoa. When it is this creamy and cheesy, even they can’t resist this easy quinoa side dish recipe. And that always makes me feel good since I know it is a healthy and protein-packed gluten free grain alternative!
You only need five ingredients besides salt and pepper, and there are really only two main steps – cooking quinoa and stirring in the cheese!
You only need a handful of ingredients to make this easy quinoa side dish! In fact, you probably already have them in your kitchen.
- Uncooked quinoa. Rinse it well and drain it throughly.
- Chicken or vegetable broth. Broth adds extra flavor, but you can also use water. Just be sure to add a little extra salt and pepper.
- Salt and pepper. To taste.
- Dry mustard. Bumps up the flavor of the cheddar cheese.
- Greek yogurt. Make it creamy.
- Cheddar cheese. I prefer to use sharp or extra sharp, but use your favorite.
How to Make Cheesy Quinoa
Cook the quinoa. After you’ve rinsed and thoroughly drained the quinoa, add it to a pot with the broth, salt, pepper, and dry mustard. Cover and bring to a boil. The reduce heat and simmer as per package instructions, about 15 minutes.
Alternatively, you can use my post about How to Cook Quinoa to see how to prepare it not only on the stove, but also in the microwave, slow cooker, Instant Pot, or rice cooker. Just replace the water with the broth and add the seasonings.
Stir it all together. When quinoa is fully cooked, stir in Greek yogurt and cheese. Season to taste with more salt and pepper, if needed.
What meals would go well with a quinoa side dish? Try one of these.
- BBQ Shrimp Quinoa Bowls are my favorite way to eat cheesy quinoa.
- Glazed Buffalo Chicken Tenders have a smoky kick that tastes delicious with cheddar cheese.
- Apple Cider BBQ Turkey Meatballs spooned on top would be a hit with the kids.
- Worcestershire Sauce Cast Iron Cube Steaks are so fast and easy you can cook them while the quinoa simmers.
- Perfect Air Fryer Salmon from Noble Pig paired with this cheddar cheese quinoa makes a super healthy dinner.
More easy quinoa recipes
- Cheesy Veggie Quinoa Bites
- Spinach Artichoke Quinoa Bites.
- Cinnamon Apple Quinoa Breakfast Bars
- Roasted Asparagus and Mushroom Quinoa Pilaf
- Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Casserole
Cheesy Quinoa Side Dish
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa , rinsed and drained
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth or stock
- salt & pepper , to taste
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (about 2 oz., you can use up to 1 cup if you would like it more cheesy)
- Combine quinoa, broth, a pinch of salt and pepper, and dry mustard in a pot.
- Cover and bring to a boil. The reduce heat and simmer as per package instructions, about 15 minutes.
- When quinoa is fully cooked, stir in Greek yogurt and cheese.
- Season to taste with more salt and pepper, if needed.