This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Spinach artichoke quinoa bites with three kinds of cheese turn your favorite hot spinach artichoke dip recipe into a healthy, whole grain finger food for gluten free appetizers or an easy snack. Heat up some tomato sauce for dipping these Cheesy Quinoa Spinach Artichoke Bites.
Originally published on Jan 18, 2017.
I’m trying to come to terms with the fact that we are homebodies. And not just homebodies. We are happy homebodies.
I see people running around to seventeen different sports and activities every week, day trips and outings and overnights away every weekend, squeezing in movies and dinners at restaurants after school, and I feel like I am doing something wrong.
Do you know what we did for the past few Saturdays? Absolutely nothing.
Well, to be fair, a few Saturdays ago was New Year’s Eve and three-quarters of us were sick and eating Butternut Squash Soup and sipping on a Cold Toddy Whiskey Mule (well the second one was just me – no whiskey for the kiddos!). And the other Saturdays it’s not like we were not doing anything at all. I was putting away Christmas decorations, purging closets, filming videos, and such.
My kids were playing. Just playing. Good as gold, happy as clams.
And I’m trying to be ok with that instead of feeling bad that we weren’t hosting playdates or dinners for friends, going to the Smithsonian, or whatever. We were all just home. Doing our thing. And nobody seemed to mind or care or want to be anywhere else.
And you know what? That’s totally fine. Or I’m at least going to keep convincing myself it’s fine.
You know what else is totally fine? The fact that I can only get my kids to eat spinach or artichokes or quinoa when I turn it into cheesy finger food…
Cheesy Spinach Artichoke Quinoa Bites
These are a great game day appetizer, after school snack, or even a dinner side dish.
You’ve got the usual suspects in classic spinach artichoke dip – spinach, artichoke hearts, and three kinds of cheese – mixed up with cooked quinoa and an egg to stick it all together. Then just pack the mixture into a mini muffin tin and bake till you have golden, crispy little bites perfect for dipping in tomato sauce and popping right in your mouth. Even the pickiest of eaters won’t be able to resist all the cheesy finger food fun.
What do you need to make cheesy quinoa bites?
- Quinoa – cooked and cooled
- Cheese – Monterey Jack, mozzarella, and parmesan
- Canned artichoke hearts – chopped and squeezed until dry
- Frozen spinach – thawed and squeezed until dry
- Mini muffin tin – be sure to spray it well with cooking spray, or even try one of these silicone muffin pans to pop them out easily.
- Cookie scoop – makes filling the muffin tin super easy
How do you make spinach artichoke bites?
This brief overview will show you just how easy they are to make. Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post for the full amounts and details.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Divide the mixture between cups of a mini muffin pan. Press down firmly.
- Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until crisp and golden.
- Let cool slightly before loosening with the tip of a butter knife to pop them out of the pan.
BRIANNE’S PRO TIP: Make sure you’ve squeezed as much of the excess moisture out of both the thawed spinach and canned artichoke hearts as possible before you stir everything together. This will ensure everything sticks together.
Check out these kid-friendly quinoa recipes:
- Cheesy Quinoa Side Dish
- Apple Cinnamon Quinoa Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
- Cheesy Veggie Quinoa Bites
- Bacon Ranch Quinoa Chicken Salad
- Jalapeno Popper Quinoa Bites from Alida’s Kitchen
Here are more gluten free appetizers you might enjoy:
- Spinach Artichoke Cheesy Cauliflower Bread Sticks
- Best Baked Brie with Honey and Nuts
- Healthy BBQ Turkey Meatballs
- Ground Beef Stuffed Mushrooms with Mozzarella
- Cauliflower Tots
- Spinach Artichoke Dip Stuffed Mushrooms from Snixy Kitchen
- Spinach Artichoke Hummus from Shugary Sweets
Cheesy Spinach Artichoke Quinoa Bites Recipe
Three kinds of cheese and all the flavors you love about Spinach Artichoke in a bite-sized finger food. These make a great side dish or snack, but you can also serve them with tomato sauce for dipping as a party appetizer. Only eight ingredients, healthy, and gluten free too!
Cheesy Spinach Artichoke Quinoa Bites
- 1 cup cooked quinoa, cooled
- 2 oz shredded Monterey Jack cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 oz shredded mozzarella cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 Tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 14 oz artichoke hearts, chopped and squeezed in a paper towel or kitchen towel until throughly dry
- 4 oz frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed in a paper towel or kitchen towel until throughly dry
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray or oil.
- Add all of the ingredients to a bowl and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the cups of the mini muffin tin, and press down to pack it in firmly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy. Let cool for a couple minutes before loosening from the pan with the tip of a butter knife.