Greek Yogurt Creamy Balsamic Vinaigrette – Healthy Salad Dressing Recipe
Creamy Balsamic Dressing is just as rich and delicious as what you get in restaurants or from a bottle, but this healthy salad dressing recipe is lightened-up with Greek yogurt. Just because it is homemade doesn’t mean it isn’t easy. You can shake up this smooth balsamic vinaigrette in just a few minutes with only five ingredients. And without any extra thickeners or preservatives, you know it is good-for-you and made with gluten free ingredients!
This post was originally published on November 7, 2013. Updated with new photos on May 1, 2017 and video added on May 29, 2018.
I’m sure most of us want to have healthy eating habits and to pass those habits onto our kids. But let’s be real – life gets crazy and your good intentions can get derailed. Work is stressing you out. The kids have homework and activities and playdates. And cheesecake ice cream exists.
While I like to think I love an overall healthy lifestyle, I go through those periods too. Like back when I first started making my own healthy salad dressing recipes.
I had just gotten through a fairly painful pregnancy that included a diagnosis of gestational diabetes. Once my little guy was born, all I wanted to do was sit around and eat all the sweets that I had to give up due to my very strict diet for the last 10 weeks of my pregnancy.
I had been giving myself all sorts of excuses. But I needed some strategies for getting back on track.
By getting out of bed to exercise a few times a week and going for walks, I was motivated to make better food choices. I cut down nighttime sugar binges by enjoying a chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie instead of dessert.
And I would make sure I grabbed fresh produce at the store and took five minutes to make a batch of balsamic vinaigrette to keep in the fridge. This made it easier and more enticing to make a nice salad for lunch.
How to Make Healthy Salad Dressing with Balsamic Vinegar
The Greek yogurt and just a bit of olive oil give this healthy homemade salad dressing the rich smoothness of those heavier creamy dressings you get in restaurants or in the grocery store. But it has no preservatives or other funky ingredients, and fewer calories. So it’s definitely good for you, especially if it gets you to eat more fresh vegetables! This creamy balsamic dressing is sure to become a kitchen staple.
What is balsamic vinaigrette dressing made of?
You only need five ingredients:
- Plain Greek yogurt – I typically use nonfat, but you can use any type you prefer.
- Dijon mustard – yellow or brown mustard can also be substituted.
- Balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil
- Honey – maple syrup can also be used.
Combine all of the ingredients, season with salt and pepper, and shake or stir it up in a bowl or Mason jar.
I actually love using this salad dressing shaker! It’s one of my favorite kitchen gadgets. I make a batch of homemade salad dressing at least once a week.
Is there egg in balsamic vinaigrette?
A basic balsamic vinaigrette contains oil, vinegar, mustard, and seasonings, so there is no egg in it. However, to make a creamy balsamic dressing, many recipes do contain an egg or egg yolk. This can be a concern for people with an egg allergy or who are concerned about eating raw eggs due to salmonella. So this recipe uses Greek yogurt for that creamy texture instead of egg. Therefore, it does not contain any eggs.
Do you have to refrigerate balsamic vinaigrette dressing?
Because this recipe contains dairy, you do have to store it in the refrigerator. So while you can whisk it together in a bowl, I recommend using the shaker I mentioned or a mason jar. Shake up that dressing and keep it in the fridge to use for several days.
What do you serve with creamy balsamic dressing?
- Enjoy it on a simple side salad to go with your favorite Italian meal, like Lasagna (or Gluten Free Lasagna), or penne and Vodka Sauce.
- Drizzle it on an Italian-Style Wedge Salad.
- Make an entree salad with romaine, roasted red peppers, olives, and feta, or with mixed baby greens, apples, and blue cheese and your favorite protein such as shrimp, leftover rotisserie chicken, or grilled filet mignon.
- Use it as a dip for veggies, and you can even pack it in kids lunches.
- Make a glammed-up BLT known as the “PAT” or Prosciutto, Arugula and Tomato Sandwich.
For more yumminess from me and my foodie friends, keep up with me on…
Or sign up to have Cupcakes & Kale Chips delivered straight to your Inbox!
What else can you make with balsamic vinegar?
- Honey Balsamic Flat Iron Steak Marinade
- Balsamic Roasted Vegetables
- Balsamic Ketchup
- Grilled Balsamic Strawberries
Looking for some more healthy salad dressing recipes?
- Greek Yogurt Ranch Dressing is made from ingredients you probably always have on hand in your pantry.
- Homemade Tzatziki Sauce doubles as a delicious dressing for a Greek-style salad.
- Greek Yogurt Blue Cheese Dressing is a healthier way to enjoy this cheesy favorite.
- Creamy Dijon Dressing is deliciously sweet and tangy.
- Fig Balsamic Vinaigrette Salad Dressing adds the natural sweetness of figs for a fruity twist.
- Maybe you want a cheesier option. Try Creamy Parmesan Salad Dressing from Noble Pig.
Creamy Balsamic Vinaigrette Recipe
Shake it up in seconds and get ready to pour this healthy salad dressing over all your favorite salads. It even makes a delicious dip for veggies. This Greek yogurt dressing is rich and creamy, with the tangy sweetness of balsamic vinegar, making it the perfect complement for Mediterranean salads or a basic tossed side salad with Romaine, spinach, or mixed greens
I hope you’ll leave a comment and give it a FIVE STAR rating or share a review on Pinterest or photo on Instagram!
Tag me @cupcakekalechip and use #cupcakesandkalechips!
Creamy Greek Yogurt Vinaigrette Salad Dressing
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl or jar and shake or whisk until combined and smooth. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.