How to Grill Filet Mignon with Tomatoes, Mozzarella, and Basil
Caprese Grilled Filet Mignon is a simple way to dress up some amazing steaks for a quick dinner recipe that is also a little extra special. After simply seasoning with salt and pepper and grilling filet mignon, top your steak with juicy tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil, and a balsamic reduction, just like the classic Caprese salad. This easy grilling recipe is not only delicious, but it is also naturally gluten free and low carb.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by the Certified Angus Beef ® brand in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
We would have been happy to simply take these gorgeous steaks, season them with salt and pepper, and toss them on the grill. Then we could just enjoy the amazing flavor and juiciness that comes from the perfect marbling.
But I thought I’d add a little summer flair by simply topping those filets with some tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and basil. After finishing it off with a drizzle of reduced balsamic vinegar, everyone’s favorite summertime salad becomes a fabulous main course in this Steak Caprese recipe.
How to Grill Filet Mignon Topped with Caprese
The fresh ingredients perfectly balance the rich flavor of the grilled filets, making it the perfect pairing. My littlest and biggest carnivores love this recipe. And me, well I savored every last tender morsel!
How to cook filet mignon on the grill…
- Take your steaks out of the refrigerator and let them come to room temperature four about 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat your grill to High.
- Season your filet mignon with salt and pepper and brush with olive oil.
- Place the steaks in the grill, cover, and reduce heat to Medium-High.
- Cook for 5 minutes, then flip and cook for another 3-5 minutes or to desired doneness. This would be an internal temperature of 135°F for medium-rare, because by the time you let it rest it will hit the perfect final temperature of 145°F. If you prefer a medium steak, you can cook it to 140°F. For a lean cut like beef tenderloin or filet mignon, I would not go higher than this or your steak will be tough.
- Let the steaks rest for five minutes before serving.
What do you need to make Caprese Filet Mignon?
- Filet mignon steaks, each about six to eight ounces, and grilled to medium-rare or your desired temperature
- Roma tomatoes, sliced one-quarter inch thick
- Fresh mozzarella, cut into slices
- Fresh basil leaves, removed from the stems
- Balsamic reduction, bought at the store or you can see how to make balsamic glaze yourself
After you’ve grilled your steaks, you have two options depending on your preference. You can place the tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella on top of the steaks and give them a couple more minutes on the grill to melt the cheese a bit. Or you can take the steaks off and add the Caprese salad toppings for a cooler, crisper contrast to the steak. Either way is delicious, so it’s your call. After the steaks rest, give them a drizzle of balsamic before serving.
Why should you choose the Certified Angus Beef® brand?
Certified Angus Beef® brand is truly a cut above even Choice and Prime steaks – it’s the best Angus beef available! With ten demanding quality standards to meet, Certified Angus Beef® brand is truly the best Angus beef available. Not only must these standards be met, but expectations are also usually exceeded.
This is a brand that people have come to rely on for consistently flavorful, tender, and juicy cuts of meat since 1978. You wouldn’t find it in nearly 15,0000 of the most elite restaurants and retailers around the world if it wasn’t such high quality.
For more yumminess from me and my foodie friends, keep up with me on…
Or sign up to have Cupcakes & Kale Chips delivered straight to your Inbox!
What else to do with filet mignon…
- Individual Mini Beef Wellingtons in Phyllo
- Black and Bleu Steaks
- Bacon Wrapped Balsamic Marinated Sirloin Filet by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Grilled Tenderloin with Garlic Herb Butter by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Some other steaks on the grill…
- Greek-Style Beef Kabobs
- Balsamic, Sundried Tomato and Rosemary Marinated Flank Steak
- Honey Balsamic Grilled Flat Iron Steak
- Grilled Sirloin Steak with Corn Tomato and Avocado Appetizer by Family Foodie
- Grilled Ribeye Steaks with Roasted Jalapeno Chimichurri by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
Caprese Grilled Filet Mignon Recipe
Simply seasoned, you’ll perfectly cook your filet on the grill. Then top them with the ultimate combination of tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and basil. Finally, finish it off with a drizzle of balsamic reduction. Inspired by the classic Caprese salad, this simple addition takes your steak from every day to extra special when you want to make an amazing dinner on the grill.
I hope you’ll leave a comment and give it a FIVE STAR rating or share a photo on this pin on Pinterest!
Caprese Grilled Filet Mignon
- four 6-8 oz. Certified Angus Beef brand filets or tenderloin steaks
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- a few Tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 roma tomatoes sliced about 1/4 inch thick (you'll need eight slices)
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cut into four slices
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- Reduced balsamic vinegar (store bought or make your own)
- Season filets with salt and pepper and lightly brush with olive oil
- Heat grill to high. Place steaks on grill, reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Flip and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- At this point you have two options. Remove steaks from the grill and top with one tomato slice, one basil leaf, one slice mozzarella, another basil leaf, and another slice of tomato and serve as is. Or you can reduce heat to low, top with one tomato slice, one basil leaf, one slice mozzarella, another basil leaf, and another slice of tomato. Then close the cover and grill for another 3-5 minutes or to desired doneness.
- Remove to a platter, let rest for at least 5 minutes, drizzle with reduced balsamic vinegar before serving.