Caprese Grilled Filet Mignon
Happy Father’s Day! #SundaySupper knows that this is one of the biggest days of the year for firing up the grill, and there’s nothing better to barbecue than Certified Angus Beef® brand cuts. So whether you’ve picked up some filets, sirloins, or strip steaks, or maybe even a package of ground beef for killer burgers, we’ve got twenty brand new recipes for you to try right away. I dressed up a simple steak on the grill with the classic salad of summer to make Caprese Grilled Filet Mignon.
Caprese Grilled Filet Mignon
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Certified Angus Beef in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
I still can’t believe we have been living in Maryland for almost seven months now. I still tell people we just moved to the area. I guess when you live somewhere for 35 years, seven months pretty much feels likes just a small moment in time. I’m still learning my way around, and have a sense of pride that warrants an immediate text message to The Hubby whenever I drive to or from somewhere successfully without turning on my GPS. I still don’t love the grocery stores, and feel like I need to go to a few different ones just to get the same selection from my favorite one back in New Jersey. But the kids are all set up with schools, a doctor, and a dentist, and The Hubby and I are working on that as well, we found some fabulous parks, met a few neighbors, and we only have a couple of small piles of not-yet-unpacked boxes.
I have to say, though, the thing that I am still having the hardest time with is the local restaurant selection, or lack thereof. There are plenty of good places if you are willing to drive at least a half hour to an hour away, but with the traffic in and out of DC, venturing that far with two hungry little dudes at that time of day in Montgomery County is not always the most brilliant idea, and right around us the options are limited. But we have found a couple of places that we have actually returned to several times for both good food and a great atmosphere for families – not a combination you find often. Not Your Average Joe’s is near The Hubby’s office, so if he is going to be a little late on a Friday night and we want to go out, I can pack up the boys and meet him there. The menu is so creative, and they have new specials every month which keeps it interesting to keep going back. We also celebrated both Easter and Mother’s Day there. And GrillMarx is the steakhouse right around the corner from us where The Hubby and I can order a fabulous meal and glass of wine, and the kids menu actually makes both kids and mama happy – homemade mac and cheese, freshly made burgers, and options for veggies and salads on the side. This is another special occasion place for us, as we enjoyed their Sunday Brunch for Palm Sunday, and dinner after The Bug’s pre-school graduation. While I love trying new places, it’s nice to have a couple of tried and true restaurants to fall back on.
But as I was preparing for this week’s event, I realized another reason why I love these two places – they are two of the closest restaurants to me that serve Certified Angus Beef® brand, which I have actually enjoyed at both places on a couple of occasions. Not Your Average Joe’s has an amazing wedge salad with sliced steak and a horseradish dressing that is to-die-for, and I ordered a perfectly grilled Petite Tender steak at GrillMarx a couple of weeks ago. While the accompaniments were delicious, it’s truly the beef that made the meals.
You see, Certified Angus Beef® brand is truly a cut above even Choice and Prime steaks – it’s the best Angus beef available! With ten demanding quality standards to meet, Certified Angus Beef® brand is truly the best Angus beef available, since not only must these standards be met, expectations are usually exceeded. This is a brand that people have come to rely on for consistently flavorful, tender, and juicy cuts of meat since 1978. I mean, you wouldn’t find it in nearly 15,0000 of the most elite restaurants and retailers around the world if it wasn’t such high quality. And I’m lucky enough to be able to enjoy it at some of my favorite local dining establishments.
And when we just want to grill in our own backyard, I have used the product locator to find some stores where I can pick up Certified Angus Beef® brand to make fabulous main courses like this…
We would have been happy to simply take these gorgeous steaks, season them with salt and pepper, toss them on the grill, and enjoy the amazing flavor and juiciness that comes from the perfect marbling. But I thought I’d add a little summer flair by simply topping those filets with some tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and basil, then finishing it off with a drizzle of olive oil and reduced balsamic vinegar. Yes, by putting it atop the best beef in the business, everyone’s favorite summertime salad becomes a fabulous main course in this Caprese Grilled Filet Mignon. The fresh ingredients balancing the rich flavor of the Certified Angus Beef® brand was just a perfect pairing. My littlest and biggest carnivores were thrilled with this dinner, and even my carb-loving kid happily tucked into his steak, which doesn’t happen all the time! And me, well I savored every last morsel!
Is your mouth watering yet? If you are craving some amazing beef, make sure you get more information about Certified Angus Beef® brand on their website, find out where to buy their beef, plus get tons of information and recipes ideas by following them on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube. You’ll also find today’s #SundaySupper recipes and so many more on our Pinterest board featuring fabulous summer grilling recipes with Certified Angus Beef® brand.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Then check out all of today’s amazing grilling recipes at the bottom of this post!
What is your favorite cut of Certified Angus Beef® brand to grill?
Get Cupcakes & Kale Chips delivered to your Inbox! Every Friday you’ll see all of the Yummy Eats & Tasty Sweets from the week. Sign up HERE.
- four 6-8 oz filets
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- olive oil
- 1-2 roma tomatoes sliced about 1/4 inch thick (you'll need eight slices)
- About 4 oz fresh mozzarella cut into four slices
- About eight fresh basil leaves
- Reduced balsamic vinegar store bough or make your own
- Season filets with salt and pepper and lightly brush with olive oil
- Heat grill to high. Place steaks on grill, reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Flip and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Reduce to low, top with one tomato slice, one basil leaf, one slice mozzarella, another basil leaf, and another slice of tomato.
- Close the cover and grill for another 3-5 minutes or to desired doneness.
- Remove to a platter, let rest for at least 5 minutes, drizzle with olive oil and reduced balsamic vinegar before serving.
Fire up the grill with these beef recipes…
- Greek-Style Beef Kabobs
- Balsamic, Sundried Tomato and Rosemary Marinated Flank Steak
- Black and Bleu Steaks
Plus the rest of the #SundaySupper menu featuring Certified Angus Beef® brand…
- Grilled Sirloin Steak with Corn Tomato and Avocado Appetizer by Family Foodie
- Grilled Steak Crostini with Blue Cheese and Caramelized Onions by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Nicaraguan Style Steak Skewers with Chimichurri by Curious Cuisiniere
Marvelous Main Dishes:
- Bacon Wrapped Balsamic Marinated Sirloin Filet by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Balsamic Burgers by Life Tastes Good
- Beef Kabobs by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Bourbon Caramelized Onion and Blue Burgers by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Brisket Grinder with Smoked Peppers and Caramelized Onions by Whole Food | Real Families
- Caprese Grilled Filet Mignon by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Chile-Rubbed Strip Steaks with Chunky Tomato-Avocado Salsa by The Weekend Gourmet
- Cocoa & Coffee Rubbed Beef Kabobs with Roasted Corn Salad by I’m Not the Nanny
- Deliciously Drunken Marinated Steak by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Garlic Ginger Soy Grilled Angus Beef Steak by Shockingly Delicious
- Grilled Bacon & Onion Ribeye Steak Sliders with Beer Cheese by Daily Dish Recipes
- Grilled Ribeye Steaks with Roasted Jalapeno Chimichurri by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Grilled Vegetable Steak Salad by Magnolia Days
- Grilled Tenderloin with Garlic Herb Butter by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Sirloin Caesar Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Steak & Quinoa Protein Bowl by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Taco Burgers by Alida’s Kitchen
- 5 Summer Grilling Tips for Fruit by Sunday Supper Movement