For a picnic lunch or a fun party appetizer, put away the bowls and forks and enjoy your Chef Salad on a Stick.
Chef Salad on a Stick
My two year old eats salad! What? Why? How? I have absolutely no idea. I mean, the five year old does too, but it took months of slowly putting little bits of lettuce on his plate, then giving him a salad that was about 10% lettuce and 90% other stuff (like plenty of cheese), gradually shifting the ratio to actually have enough lettuce that it could reasonably be called a salad. Now he will eat it, but only because I make sure he eats his veggies at dinner, not because he actually loves it. However, piles of raw carrots will disappear like nobody’s business. But Little Dude will shovel lettuce in his face. And tomatoes. And cucumbers. And, umm, ice cream. Balance, right?
I’ll take what I can get.
Now a sandwich, well, The Bug is all over that. He is my carb-lover, so he is quite happy to have pretty much anything piled on two slices of bread, whereas Little Dude, also known as my little carnivore, would prefer just to have his meat and cheese cut up on his plate.
Of course, since I have to avoid wheat and gluten free bread isn’t my super-favoritest thing in the world, I figured instead of showing you what’s in my sandwich, I’d use all of the super yummy meats and cheeses in a fun snack or appetizer.
Since everything is more fun when stuck on a toothpick, I took the meats, cheeses and a few veggies and skewered them to make Chef Salad on a Stick. Perfect for a party, picnic, or even in a lunchbox (for kids that are old enough to be trusted with small, sharp objects), just pair it with your favorite dressing or dip and nobody will be able to resist these cute and tasty little bites. Both my sandwich kid and my salad kid enjoyed snacking on these guys, especially when dunked into Three-Ingredient Healthy Honey Mustard Dip! Our dinner guests also loved them, and I’ll certainly be adding this recipe to my regular party repertoire.
Get Cupcakes & Kale Chips delivered to your Inbox! Every Friday you’ll see all of the Yummy Eats & Tasty Sweets from the week. Sign up HERE.
Chef Salad on a Stick
Turn the usual salad into a fun picnic lunch or party appetizer. Pair it with your favorite salad dressing or dip.
- Four slices deli ham
- Four slices provolone cheese
- Four slices deli turkey
- Four slices cheddar or american cheese
- Eight slices Genoa salami
- 16 grape or cherry tomatoes
- cucumber, cut in quarters lengthwise and sliced
- Boston Bibb, Leaf, Romaine, or your favorite lettuce
- Three-Ingredient Healthy Honey Mustard Dip or your favorite dip or salad dressing
- Lay a slice of ham, provolone, turkey, cheddar and two slices salami on a cutting board. Starting with the long side, roll up tightly and cut into four pieces.
- Slide a cherry tomato, piece of cucumber, one rollup of meat and cheese, and a small piece of lettuce on a toothpick. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Serve with dip or dressing.
Here are some other dips and dressings you might like with your salad on a stick…
Plus a few from my friends…
- Homemade Italian Dressing from Sugary Sweets
- Buttermilk Herb Dressing from An Edible Mosaic
- Lemon Poppyseed Dressing from Inspiration Kitchen