#GlutenFree Zucchini Tater Tots from @MommasMeals

So, you know how I always rave about and post pictures of The Bug eating all kinds of things that so many parents battle with their kids to get them to eat.  Well, there are a few things that he fights me on, and honestly, I am not above sneaking them in sometimes

Zucchini Tater Tots

Now don’t get me wrong – I think it is SUPER important to continually introduce and reintroduce a wide variety of healthy foods to your little ones.  Try over and over and over until it becomes familiar, not disgusting, and eventually delicious.  But one thing I cannot get The Bug to eat is zucchini.  So enter the Zucchini Tater Tots.

On Friday, The Bug mentioned to you that I was the co-host for Featured Friday over at Momma’s Meals, where the sweet and lovely Tammi introduced me and made her awesome crockpot version of my Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Sandwiches.  Well, I’ll tell you about the tots in a minute, but first, let me tell you about Tammi.  We “met” through #SundaySupper, and as Stay-at-Home moms to little ones who took up food blogging to indulge our love of cooking and maintain our sense of individuality, we have a lot in common.  She has an adorable little girl, and guess what?!  She has Baby #2 on the way, as well.  Just like me, Tammi loves to share her family-friendly recipes, and some of her random thoughts on mommyhood, including her brave honesty about her journey with postpartum depression.  Make sure you stop by and say Hi over at Momma’s Meals.

Momma’s Recipes
And now to the tater tots.  When Tammi asked if I would be part of her Featured Friday series, I was so excited and immediately began sifting through her recipes to find one of hers to make.  I was immediately drawn to her Healthy Tater Tots, since I saw that she used zucchini in them.  Perfect – using potatoes and cheese to disguise the offending zucchini would be just the way to get The Bug to eat it!  What kid doesn’t love tater tots?

Zucchini Tater Tots

And eat them he did!  I almost couldn’t get him to stop eating the tots to finish his Worcestershire Blue Cheese Volcano Burger!  Wow – potatoes and zucchini over beef and oozing cheese?!?!

Tammi’s recipe calls for using Simply Potatoes shredded potatoes and bread crumbs, but since I had some potatoes in the house that needed to be used up, and wanted to make them gluten free, I made a few tweaks to the recipe, using shredded potatoes and cornmeal.  Also, I give a bit of a range for the salt – I used 1/2 t kosher salt, and the hubby and I thought it could have used just a touch more.  I was afraid of over-salting because sometimes the addition of cheddar cheese can make a dish too salty.

We enjoyed these Zucchini Tater Tots dipped in some Worcestershire ketchup, but they would also be fabulous with some Balsamic ketchup, too.  I love zucchini and balsamic vinegar together!  Oh what the heck, just whip out the Heniz!

Zucchini Tater Tots

Speaking of super cool momma food blogs, little ol’ me was nominated for voiceBoks Top 10 Food Blogs of 2013 written by mamas. I’m a late entry, so I really need your help – meaning your VOTES! I hate being a nag, but this would be HUGE for me, so I’d LOVE LOVE LOVE for you to head over to their site and give me a vote.  Actually, one vote everyday would be nice ;-) Just click the little Thumbs Up – it’s as easy as a Facebook Like. Thanks!!

So the question of the day – tots or fries?

4.6 from 5 reviews

Zucchini Tater Tots

Zucchini Tater Tots take a childhood favorite and make it just a bit healthier. And these are gluten free!
Author:
Recipe type: Side dish, veggie
Serves: Makes about 20 tots
Ingredients
  • 1 c shredded potatoes (I didn’t peel mine, but you can do as you wish)
  • 1 small zucchini, shredded
  • ¼ c cornmeal
  • ¼ c shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I used Cabot Sharp Light Cheddar)
  • ½-1 t kosher salt (I used ½ t, but felt it could have used a bit more)
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • ¼ t onion powder
  • 1 egg
Instructions
  1. Preheat your oven to 400°F and spray a mini muffin pan with cooking spray or olive oil.
  2. Gather the shredded potatoes and zucchini into a kitchen towel and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
  3. Place the potatoes and zucchini in a bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Your hads are probably the best tool for the job.
  4. Scoop the mixture into the prepared muffin pan (I used a small cookie scoop), and press them down a bit. You should get about 20 tots.
  5. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown.

Enjoy!

Zucchini Tater Tots

This recipe was shared with: Thursday’s Treasures, #glutenfreefridays #29

Signature
Want to see lots more yummy food from me and my friends, and cute pictures of my kids?

Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Pinterest | Bloglovin | Instagram | StumbleUpon

Or subscribe via email to get Cupcakes & Kale Chips in your Inbox.

This post may be linked to any of these parties.

Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I earn a small percentage from any purchases you may make if you click on them.  These companies have not contacted me.  I use the stuff because I love it.

Comments

1. says

Ok first of all. I LOVE this heart shaped bowl. It is so cute! I cannot wait to try these zucchini tots. I just made cauliflower tots over the weekend and loved them! I share a healthy lunch idea with my Facebook following every day. I am going to share this link with them today. I Love zucchini and I can’t wait to try these! I have been attempting to hide veggies into my 16 month old’s food. Letting them dip things in ketchup will always help our situations:)

2. says

Thanks for the kind words Momma, you too sweet!! I’m so glad your little guy loved them! I never could get Miss Madison to eat them, your making me want to try again though!! Never give up right!! Congrats on the nomination and I’m headed over to vote now!! :) Love the bowl too!!!

• says

I like to shred it into pasta sauce, too. The Bug will eat broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, salmon, scallops, but forget zucchini and leafy greens, unless I chop them into eggs.

3. brandy says

Could you substitute something for the cornmeal? We don’t usually buy cornmeal! But these sound great! My kids might actually eat zucchini this way!

4. says

WOWza! These look amazing!!! Thanks for kicking off a great party this week! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

Thanks for linking back to the Gluten Free Fridays post!

We have a giveaway this week! GFF will be live on Thursday night at 7:05 eastern! Let’s get this party started!!

Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

5. says

Wow. This is a pretty brilliant reinvention of tater tots! We’re celebrating childhood favorites this month on the Shine Supper Club and this would be a really great contribution. Hope you’ll join us!

6. Stacy says

These were great. I did use GF bread crumbs instead of cornmeal. As all the cornmeal ou stores had weren’t GF safe (packaged in a facility that produces wheat etc…). The kids threw a fit when they saw what I was doing BUT after trying my daughter has requested these at her birthday party. Oh boy that means 7 batches. So has anyone tried freezing these? Wondering if they freeze and reheat well? Thinking I might try them with sweet potatoes sometime too…

• says

Glad to hear it turned out well with the breadcrumbs. I don’t have celiac, so don’t have to be 100% GF and worry about cross contamination, so using things like conrnmeal is easier and cheaper for me. I haven tried freezing them, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. I have done something similar with cauliflower – so good! I’ll post that recipe eventually.

7. Suzy says

Quick question – did you shred them by hand, or can you use the food processor? I know that with potato pancakes they say to shred only by hand so I wondered? Look yummy!

8. says

I used to babysit for a young boy who probably wouldn’t eat these because of the green showing. I’m sure if I peeled the zucchini before making these, he would gobble them down. Just a suggestion to the moms who are mentioning that their kids won’t eat them, try peeling them, and see if that helps.

A lot of people think they don’t like zucchini, and without some flavor added to it, it really has no taste. I took a zucchini bundt cake to a potluck once. A colleague was inhaling a third piece of my cake when his wife asked me if it was a zucchini cake. When I said yes, her husband choked and threw away the rest of his 3rd piece, stating that he did not like zucchini. What a hoot. We all got a good laugh.

9. Amy says

I can’t wait to try these :) They look yummy…..I figured out by accident that you can hide Zucchini in almost anything with shredded potatoes in it…..I made hashbrown casserole and replaced half of the hashbrown with shredded zucchini and my kids loved it, and I was happy about it being lower in carbs :)

• Amy says

Yes, kind of…..I didn’t shred it, but I used the immersion blender to puree it, my kids couldn’t even tell it was there, and it added a wonderful thickness to the sauce…..we all enjoyed it very much :)

10. Kathleen says

Love these! I used a sweet potato and garlic powder because I didn’t have any regular potatoes or onion powder on hand. I made 2 batches with my shredded veg because my 3-year old daughter is gluten free, dairy free, and egg free. They turned out great with both regular cheese & egg AND great even with the vegan replacements: Daiya ‘cheddar’ shreds and Ener-G egg replacer.