So, you know how I always rave about and post pictures of The Bug eating all kinds of things that so many parents battle with their kids to get them to eat. Well, there are a few things that he fights me on, and honestly, I am not above sneaking them in sometimes…
Now don’t get me wrong – I think it is SUPER important to continually introduce and reintroduce a wide variety of healthy foods to your little ones. Try over and over and over until it becomes familiar, not disgusting, and eventually delicious. But one thing I cannot get The Bug to eat is zucchini. So enter the Zucchini Tater Tots.
On Friday, The Bug mentioned to you that I was the co-host for Featured Friday over at Momma’s Meals, where the sweet and lovely Tammi introduced me and made her awesome crockpot version of my Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Sandwiches. Well, I’ll tell you about the tots in a minute, but first, let me tell you about Tammi. We “met” through #SundaySupper, and as Stay-at-Home moms to little ones who took up food blogging to indulge our love of cooking and maintain our sense of individuality, we have a lot in common. She has an adorable little girl, and guess what?! She has Baby #2 on the way, as well. Just like me, Tammi loves to share her family-friendly recipes, and some of her random thoughts on mommyhood, including her brave honesty about her journey with postpartum depression. Make sure you stop by and say Hi over at Momma’s Meals.
And eat them he did! I almost couldn’t get him to stop eating the tots to finish his Worcestershire Blue Cheese Volcano Burger! Wow – potatoes and zucchini over beef and oozing cheese?!?!
Tammi’s recipe calls for using Simply Potatoes shredded potatoes and bread crumbs, but since I had some potatoes in the house that needed to be used up, and wanted to make them gluten free, I made a few tweaks to the recipe, using shredded potatoes and cornmeal. Also, I give a bit of a range for the salt – I used 1/2 t kosher salt, and the hubby and I thought it could have used just a touch more. I was afraid of over-salting because sometimes the addition of cheddar cheese can make a dish too salty.
We enjoyed these Zucchini Tater Tots dipped in some Worcestershire ketchup, but they would also be fabulous with some Balsamic ketchup, too. I love zucchini and balsamic vinegar together! Oh what the heck, just whip out the Heniz!
Speaking of super cool momma food blogs, little ol’ me was nominated for voiceBoks Top 10 Food Blogs of 2013 written by mamas. I’m a late entry, so I really need your help – meaning your VOTES! I hate being a nag, but this would be HUGE for me, so I’d LOVE LOVE LOVE for you to head over to their site and give me a vote. Actually, one vote everyday would be nice Just click the little Thumbs Up – it’s as easy as a Facebook Like. Thanks!!
So the question of the day – tots or fries?
- 1 c shredded potatoes (I didn’t peel mine, but you can do as you wish)
- 1 small zucchini, shredded
- ¼ c cornmeal
- ¼ c shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I used Cabot Sharp Light Cheddar)
- ½-1 t kosher salt (I used ½ t, but felt it could have used a bit more)
- freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ t onion powder
- 1 egg
- Preheat your oven to 400°F and spray a mini muffin pan with cooking spray or olive oil.
- Gather the shredded potatoes and zucchini into a kitchen towel and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Place the potatoes and zucchini in a bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Your hads are probably the best tool for the job.
- Scoop the mixture into the prepared muffin pan (I used a small cookie scoop), and press them down a bit. You should get about 20 tots.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown.