This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Fried chicken tastes better than ever with this easy Gluten Free Air Fryer Chicken recipe! Chicken breasts, legs and thighs are coated in a flavorful crust and fried to perfection in the Air Fryer.
Crispy Gluten Free Air Fryer Fried Chicken
Did you know that you can make delicious fried chicken without oil? Well, that’s exactly what I’m showing you how to do with this recipe! It’s so easy to fry chicken in your Air Fryer – all you need is a little bit of cooking spray.
That’s right, what would normally be a pan full of oil becomes a few spritzes of cooking spray when you use the Air Fryer to fry chicken. That means there’s no hot oil spattering up at you, and you don’t even have to turn on the stove. Plus, this Air Fryer method will make your chicken ultra juicy and tender with a wonderfully crispy gluten-free “breading” on the outside. Hallelujah!
Just be sure you do not get the type of cooking spray that adds flour to prevent baked good from sticking, as this is NOT gluten free!
What Makes this Recipe So Good?
In addition to the pure amazingness that is air-fried chicken, the combination of ingredients in this recipe make it extra special. The crust is seasoned with salt, pepper, smoked paprika, garlic powder and more for an explosion of flavor in every mouthwatering bite. And each piece of meat is double-coated to ensure crispiness. This recipe just sets you up for success all around!
Once you’ve tried this from-scratch fried chicken, takeout will never be the same! Here are the trusty ingredients that make it happen:
- Chicken Breasts, Thighs & Legs: This recipe uses 2.5 pounds of skin-on chicken.
- 1:1 Gluten-Free Flour: Or all-purpose flour if not gluten-free.
- Salt & Pepper: I use 2 teaspoons of salt and 1 teaspoon of black pepper.
- Smoked Paprika: For a hint of heat.
- Garlic & Onion Powders: You’ll need 1 tablespoon of each.
- Dried Oregano: This classic herb adds depth of flavor to the dish. You can also use dried marjoram.
- Eggs & Milk: These will be combined to act as a glue for the breading.
How to Make Fried Chicken in the Air Fryer
This easy, straightforward recipe makes weeknight dinners a breeze. You’ll never fry chicken another way!
Combine Seasonings: In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and dried origanum.
Combine Eggs & Milk: In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk.
Coat Chicken: Dip each piece of chicken in the egg mixture and then the flour mixture, coating well. Repeat the dipping process.
Prep for Frying: Once all the chicken is coated, spray your air fryer cooking basket with cooking spray and preheat to 350°F.
Fry: Lightly spray 2-3 pieces of chicken with cooking spray and place them in the Air Fryer basket. Cook for 8-10 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature of each piece is 165°F.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Leftover fried chicken should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge. Alternatively, you can wrap each piece tightly with two layers of aluminum foil or plastic wrap. Fried chicken lasts for 3-4 days, if stored properly.
To reheat leftover fried chicken, place it in a 370°F Air Fryer. Cook for about 10 minutes, or until the chicken is warmed through.
Can I Freeze These?
Yes! This fried chicken is freezer-friendly. To freeze it, wrap each piece in 1-2 layers of plastic wrap or aluminum foil, then place them in a freezer-safe container. Store for up to 4 months and thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
What Goes with Air Fryer Fried Chicken?
I think a better question would be what doesn’t go with fried chicken! Nevertheless, here are a few specific recipes I highly recommend pairing it with.
- Delicious Dips for Fried Chicken: I’d like to give a shoutout to a couple of my very favorite dips to serve with Air Fryer fried chicken. Easy and healthy Honey Mustard Dip or Big Mac Sauce both together in minutes. And this creamy Blue Cheese Dip is light, tangy, and full of flavor!
- Serve with Coleslaw: Ah, a classic summer side dish like coleslaw is refreshing to even think about! And my Maple Dijon Coleslaw Recipe is sure to impress.
- Pair with Potato Salad: This cool and creamy Ranch Potato Salad is a fan-favorite side dish. Or make Potato Salad that comes together in no time with the Instant Pot!
- Make some Biscuits: For true comfort food, slather some Gluten Free Buttermilk Biscuits with butter to serve with the chicken.
- Have an Ear: An absolute classic is to make some Air Fryer Corn on the Cob and slather it with butter.
Tips for Success
Before you go grabbing your Air Fryer, take a peek at these helpful tips and tricks for the recipe.
- Don’t Crowd the Air Fryer! It’s really important that your chicken pieces are not touching each other in the Air Fryer so they all cook properly and evenly. Don’t try to shove in more than 3 pieces at once – work in batches!
- Check Internal Temperature: A meat thermometer is key for this recipe. 165°F is the sweet spot for fried chicken. If you can check the chicken’s internal temperature, you can make sure it turns out just right.
- Don’t Skip the Cooking Spray: A light mist of cooking spray will seal all the moisture into your chicken and make for effortless removal from the Air Fryer.
- Use Tongs to Turn Chicken: Rather than sticking your hands inside the hot Air Fryer to flip your chicken, use tongs.
Gluten Free Air Fryer Chicken
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and dried oregano. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk.
- Dip each piece of chicken in the egg mixture and then the flour mixture, coating well. Repeat the dipping process.
- Once all the chicken is coated, spray your air fryer cooking basket with cooking spray and preheat to 350°F.
- Lightly spray 2-3 pieces of chicken with cooking spray and place in the air fryer basket. Do not overcrowd.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature of each piece is 165°F, then serve and enjoy!
More Air Fryer Recipes
I have plenty more gluten-free Air Fryer recipes that I know you’ll love. Here are a couple of my personal favorites!