French Onion Soup au Gratin Stuffed Burgers
French Onion Soup au Gratin Stuffed Burgers take the classic hamburger and turn it into something extra special. Take the classic caramelized onions and gooey cheese to stuff and top your burgers, then grill these epic stuffed burgers.
French Onion Soup au Gratin Stuffed Burgers -> CLICK HERE TO PIN THIS RECIPE
There are so many food holidays out there. Each day has one, if not more ingredients, dishes, or cuisines that are honored and celebrated. Everything from liver and onions to peanut butter gets its day in the spotlight (though let’s be real, I am more likely to join in celebrating the latter). And then let’s talk about the months. Oatmeal Month. Noodle Month. Cookie Month. Yes, there’s even a Gazpacho Aficionados Month.
Personally, I think it’s all a bit too much.
But there is one month I can get behind – Burger Month.
Yes, you guys, perfectly coinciding with the unofficial kickoff to grilling season, May is National Hamburger Month. And who better to celebrate with than my friend Kita of Girl Carnivore and all of our blogging buddies with over 100 BRAND SPANKING NEW BURGER RECIPES! Every new burger recipe will be added to the Burger Month website throughout May, and you can check out the #burgermonth hashtag all over social media.
And if dozens and dozens of beef burgers, turkey burgers, lamb burgers, and more weren’t enough, there’s also an awesome Burger Month Giveaway with an amazing grilling prize package including the following items from these brands…
- American Lamb Board – (ALB prize boxes 5 lbs of ground lamb, an apron and a meat thermometer
- Anolon – 10″x 18″ Double Burner Griddle and Grill Pan
- Beef, It’s What’s For Dinner – prize packs of beefy grilling-themed goodies
- Char-Broil – Char-Broil Kettleman Grill
- Curly’s BBQ – Curly’s BBQ Pork Pack
- Cuttingboard.com – Olive Wood Carver Bo
- Melissa’s Produce – Baby vegetable box
- Primal Stone – XL Primal Stone
- Spiceologist – 4 Rub Grilling Spice Set
- Thermoworks – Thermapen Mk4
- Veal Made Easy – 5 lbs Veal and grilling gear
Now, where’s the beef?!?!
Burger Month calls for an epic burger, and these French Onion Soup au Gratin Stuffed Burgers fit the bill!
When thinking about a knock-your-socks-off burger for Burger Month, I went back to a tried and true comfort food – French Onion Soup. Soup as we kick off summer? Yes, because when you take the elements of this classic soup – caramelized onions, beefy broth, and melty cheese – and stuff it inside and on top of beef, it’s an absolute winning formula. I mean, French Onion Soup au Gratin Stuffed Meatloaf and French Onion Soup au Gratin Stuffed Meatballs have been total hits. Bringing this savory deliciousness to a hamburger seemed the obvious next step.
So I did exactly what I did for those recipes and made a pan full of caramelized onions, added some beef broth for that soupy rich flavor, and reduced it down to concentrate all of that deliciousness. This got stuffed inside some basic beef burgers, more was piled on top, and then those babies were tossed on the grill. Gruyere cheese and a toasted brioche roll added the touch of toasted bread and melty cheese that defines the classic crock of French onion soup. And for a little extra punch of oniony goodness, a simple aioli-type spread was made with even more of those caramelized onions mixed in.
If that’s not a burger of insane proportions, I don’t know what is!
Still not enough burgers? I’ve got more for you…
- Meatball Parmesan Burgers (and me sure to check out the recipe for a low carb option on a portabello bun)
- Peruvian Turkey Burgers with Aji Sauce
- Merlot Onion Burgers
- Mexican Black Bean and Quinoa Burgers
And if that’s not enough, how about even more burger deliciousness in these recipe collections! First you’ll find A Dozen Big Bad Beefy Burgers for tasty takes on the classic beef hamburger. But if you prefer turkey, chicken, seafood, or veggie burgers, here are 18 Blow-Your-Mind Burgers that are Anything-But-Beef.
Now just tell me if you can resist this French Onion Soup au Gratin Stuffed Burgers recipe…
French Onion Soup au Gratin Stuffed Burgers
Epic beef burgers stuffed with caramelized onions and topped with more onions plenty of cheese.
For the onions
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 Tablespoon fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup red wine (or additional beef broth)
For the French onion spread
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons of the onion mixture
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley or 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- pinch salt and pepper, to taste
For the burgers
- 1 1/3 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 Tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 oz gruyere cheese, shredded, divided
- 4 brioche buns (or gluten free buns, if needed), sliced open
- Bibb or butter lettuce
For the onions:
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium, add onions, salt & pepper, cook 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently or until caramelized.
- Add thyme, sauté for minute or two, then add the wine and beef broth.
- Reduce until very little liquid remains.
- Set aside to cool.
For the French onion spread:
- In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients and stir to combine. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
For the burgers:
- In a bowl, combine the beef, parsley, pepper, and salt, and gently combine with your hands.
- Divide the meat mixture into four equal pieces.
- Take one piece of the meat mixture and flatten into a very thin patty. Place about a tablespoon of the onions in the center of the patty and wrap the meat around the onions to form a burger, sealing as best you can. Repeat with the remaining three pieces of meat.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Grill for 5-6 minutes per side to desired doneness. For the last couple minutes of grilling, divide the remaining onion mixture on top of the burgers and top each with a quarter of the Gruyere cheese.
- Lightly toast the buns on the grill. Place one burger on the bottom half of each bun, top with lettuce and French onion spread.
LOVE THIS RECIPE?
Give it a 5 STAR rating and share your photos on Instagram with the hashtag #CKCrecipes!