Roasted Veggie Balsamic Meatloaf and Manly Men Meals
So I think I mentioned that last weekend I had my four generations of men for dinner last Sunday. Well, what better for a good, manly men meal than meatloaf, right?!
But you know I had to get some veggies in. When I saw this Roasted Veggie Meatloaf with Balsamic Glaze from Ann at The Fountain Avenue Kitchen, I knew I had to try it. And you know The Bug loves my Balsamic Ketchup, so I thought that would be a perfect addition. So I roasted up some veggies, with a little added flavor since I wanted the extras for a side dish, and pureed them up to mix into this meatloaf.
No pics, because I was enjoying a nice meal with the family without shoving a camera in everyone’s face (which is why my photos below are less than stellar – they were taken with cold, leftover meatloaf the next day), but everyone loved it. The balsamic and the caramelization on the veggies made this a more interesting and exciting spin on an old standard. The Bug was a total fan, and he and I finished off the leftovers a couple nights later, when The Hubby wasn’t home for dinner.
I mention in the recipe 1/2-1 c oats (as Ann mentioned 1/2-1 c breadcrumbs in her recipe). I used the oats to make it gluten-free, and with only 1/2 c it was falling apart a little. I also cut down by one egg, because I usually only put 2 in about 2 lbs of ground beef. But it was delicious, albeit a bit sloppy.
Recipes for the rest of the meal are coming!!
What “manly men meal” is the favorite of you or the manly men in your life?
- 2 pounds ground beef I use 93% lean, but that's just me. It is probably even taster with 80%
- 2 1/2 cups roasted vegetables see note
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh
- 1 t Italian seasoning
- 1/2-1 cup oats or breadcrumbs
- 1/2 grated Parmesan cheese
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 + 1/2 c Balsamic Ketchup divided (see note)
- 1/2 cup freshly-grated Parmesan
- 1/2 +1/3 cup ketchup divided
- 3-4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar divided
- Preheat your oven to 350° F.
- Puree the roasted vegetables in a blender or food processor, leaving them a bit chunky.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, thyme, Italian seasoning, oats (or breadcrumbs), Parmesan, salt and pepper, and 3/4 c Balsamic Ketchup.
- Add the roasted veggie puree and stir to combine.
- Incorporate the meat into this mixture, and shape it into a loaf.
- Place the loaf in a baking pan, and spread the 1/2 c Balsamic Ketchup over the meatloaf as a glaze.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 160°F.
- Let rest for a few minutes before slicing.
I used 2 1/2 c of the Balsamic Roasted Vegetables from the recipe linked below.
The Balsamic Ketchup recipe is linked below, or substitute 1/2 c ketchup + 2 T balsamic vinegar in the meatloaf, and 1/3 c ketchup + 1-2 T balsamic vinegar for the glaze.
Slightly adapted from The Fountain Avenue Kitchen’s Roasted Veggie Meatloaf with Balsamic Glaze.