Cauliflower Hash Browns Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole
This slow cooker breakfast casserole recipe is a gluten free casserole recipe, stuffed to the gills with low carbs and healthy nutrition! It’s a great back to school crock pot recipe for breakfast or dinner.
The holiday season isn’t too far away, so we are all looking to pinch our pennies, whether it’s because we have a lot of mouths to feed or some extra expenses this time of year, so #SundaySupper is bringing you a menu of Budget-Friendly recipes. Not only am I going to help you save some pennies, you’ll also save some calories and effort with this easy, gluten free, low carb egg recipe. Let the crock pot work overnight, and in the morning feed the crowd Cauliflower Hash Browns Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole.
There are affiliate links in this post, meaning that the cost to you is the same, but if you click and make a purchase, I will receive a few pennies. I use the money to help maintain this website and to bring you new recipes!
Pretty much my entire family is originally from a three town radius. We would trick-or-treat at my aunts and uncles houses, had a massive table for Thanksgiving, and Christmas was two days of different combinations of family members gathering at different houses, and even welcoming those that were as far-flung as, you know, the next county. Obviously as the generations have grown up and families have expanded and moved around, these holiday celebrations have changed, but one of the biggest changes for me as a kid was when my aunt, uncle and cousins moved to Kentucky. Since we all grew up together, spending most of our days at each others’ houses or going on outings or vacations together, Kentucky felt like it was pretty much halfway across the world.
One thing we could count on, though, was that they did come back to New Jersey for Christmas as often as they could. And they always stayed at our house. Now, our house was by no means small, but it wasn’t huge either. So when it expanded from four people living there to nine, plus a Christmas tree and presents and the dining room table with the extra leaf in it and more family members popping in and out, well, it did feel sometimes like it was busting at its seams. We were always thrilled to see each other, but, you guys, between the bath towels and the food. Well, just wow.
So it was always good to find some meals that could feed a crown for not a long of money. So we always made one (or two) of those big ol’ breakfast casseroles where you let the bread soak in the egg and cheese mixture overnight, then bake it in the morning. It was easy, filling, and reheated well a couple days later.
Well, naturally I had to remake it with my favorite sneaky veggie…
You guessed it – cauliflower!
Cauliflower Hash Browns Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole is such a simple way to make a morning meal for a big crowd.
Plus, you’ll be starting the day off with a big serving of vegetables and tons of protein.
And eggs are one of the most economical sources of protein. I threw in some pre-cooked breakfast sausage, but if you want to save a few more dollars or are serving vegetarians, you could leave it out. Other alternatives would be bacon, vegetarian sausage crumbles, or even bits of leftover Christmas ham, to really be frugal.
My version is also gluten free, low carb, and, if possible, even easier than the original version, since the slow cooker does the work. It’s ready as soon as you wake up… no waiting for it to bake for forty-five minutes.
Or, you know, everyone loves breakfast for dinner, so this slow cooker breakfast casserole is a perfect meal to come home to on a busy weeknight. The boys and I put a major dent in this, and they had some more for lunch a couple days later. I am actually freezing the rest of it, since it made so much! Honestly, I’ll probably cut down or skip the onion entirely next time, since I’m not a huge onion gal. but I know a lot of people like them, so I left them in.
Do what makes you happy. Sometimes the best budget friendly ingredient is versatility.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
What is your favorite budget-friendly meal?
If you try it, I’m pretty confident that this slow cooker breakfast casserole recipe will become one of your favorites!
Here are a couple of items you may need to make this breakfast recipe:
Products from Amazon.com
Cauliflower Hash Browns Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole
An easy recipe to feed a crowd!
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 head cauliflower, shredded
- additional salt and pepper to season the layers
- up to one small onion, diced (can omit or use less)
- two 5 oz packages pre-cooked breakfast sausages, sliced (I used turkey sausage. Can also omit, or use about 1 lb bulk breakfast sausage cooked and crumbled, or bacon, vegetarian sausage crumbles, or chopped ham)
- 8 oz., or about 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Grease or coat a 6 quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Lightly beat together the eggs, milk, dry mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Place about a third of the shredded cauliflower in an even layer in the bottom of the slow cooker, and top with about a third of the onion. Season with salt and pepper, the top with about a third of the sausage and a third of the cheese. Repeat the layers two more times.
- Pour the egg mixture over the contents of the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 5-7 hours, or until eggs are set and the top is browned.
LOVE THIS RECIPE?
Give it a 5 STAR rating and share your photos on Instagram with the hashtag #CKCrecipes!
Here are a few more of my penny-pincher meals…
Plus the rest of the #SundaySupper Budget Friendly Menu…
Scrumptious Mains (Breakfast and Dinner)
- Curry Baked Chicken Wings from Chocolate Moosey
- Shrimp Fried Rice from The Redhead Baker
- Spicy Marinated Steak Tacos from Nik Snacks
- Vegan Black Bean Soup from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Slow Cooker Swiss Steak from Nosh My Way
- Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili from Peaceful Cooking
- Curry Veg Soup from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Easy Slow Cooker BBQ Beef from Noshing With The Nolands
- Tortelini and Cannelini Minestrone with Spinach from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Addictive Korean Beef Bowl from A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Grilled Lemon Chicken with Corn Salad from Brunch with Joy
- Five Bean Chili from The Foodie Army Wife
- Vaca Frita from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chicken Pot Pie Turnovers from The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Spaghetti Squash Nests with Meatballs from Curious Cuisiniere
- Chicken Meatballs and Spaghetti from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cauliflower Chowder from Flavor Mosaic
- Individual Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal Cups from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Casserole from Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Mac, Veggie and Cheese Casserole from Cooking Chat
- Loaded Sweet Potato Quinoa Chili from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Chicken Pot Pie Cupcakes from Having Fun Saving
- Vegetable Fried Rice from Basic N Delicious
- Comforting White Bean-Pancetta Soup from The Weekend Gourmet
- Mujadara with Lebanase Salata from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Hunters Stew from Simply Healthy Family
- Brats and Kraut from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Beef Taco Soup from Fit Foodie Runs
- Slow Cooker “Hash Brown” Breakfast Casserole, from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- French Toast Pigs in a Blanket from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Gluten Free Spinach and Feta Frittata from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Tender Whole Wheat Bread from What Smells So Good?
- Austin-Style Black Beans from The Texan New Yorker
- Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls w/Creamy Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce from Daily Dish Recipes
- Apple Blackberry Crisp from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Brown Sugar Shortbread from Shockingly Delicious
- Rock Cakes from Happy Baking Days
- Incredible White Chocolate Brownies from The Perfect Brownie
- Rocky Road Brownies from Wallflour Girl
- Autumn Spice Truffles from Desserts Required
- Profiteroles with Caramel Drizzle from Food Lust People Love
- Gluten-Free Pumpkin Cake Donuts from NinjaBaking.com
- Carrot Cake Sheet Cake from Pies and Plots
- Risalamande (Danish Christmas Eve Rice Pudding) from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Sips, Spreads, and Snacks
- Pumpkin Spice Roasted Pumpkin Seeds from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Tex Mex Chicken Salad Spread from Momma’s Meals
- Budget Friendly Wines for Budget Friendly #SundaySupper from ENOFYLZ Wine Blog