Fresh Orange Creamsicle Smoothie
Sip on a Fresh Orange Creamsicle Smoothie for a bright and refreshing way to start your day. Plus this healthy Orange Julius copycat recipe is packed with Vitamin C and protein. With only five ingredients, the entire family will love this creamy, easy sweet treat!
I love smoothies so darn much! No joke, I drink one pretty much every day. Sometimes twice a day. Yeah, I’m that girl.
Need a morning pick-me-up but also kinda hungry? I use my pitcher of cold brew to make a Banana Almond Mocha Smoothie.
No time to sit down for lunch? I’m all over that Peanut Butter Mixed Berry Smoothie that tastes like a PB&J.
Looking for an afternoon snack to keep me satisfied until dinner? It’s a Cherry Almond Butter Smoothie that keeps me going.
Craving dessert? It’s a Blueberry Cheesecake Smoothie to the rescue!
So when I found out my friend Erin from DelightfulEMade was writing a smoothie cookbook, I knew I had to get my hands on a copy.
[amazon_link asins=’1510742166′ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’cupkalchi-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’ba2292c9-85ec-4fc8-a135-f7a02fe2ba71′]
The Protein Smoothie Bible
And you guys, The Protein Smoothie Bible will totally be your go-to for how to make the smoothies of your dreams!
Before she even gets into the recipes, she starts with the benefits of making smoothies to add more healthy ingredients to your diet and to control the sugar and save money versus buying them at smoothie stands, coffee shops, or *gasp* even fast food restaurants. I mean, how much actual fruit do you think is in those?
Then you get a rundown of ingredients, from how to add protein, sweeten your smoothies, and even make adjustments for different dietary needs. There is even a quick guide on selecting, prepping, and freezing your fruits and vegetables,
And of course, the recipes. There are SIXTY of them. Everything from breakfast smoothies that will remind you of coffee shop blends like the infamous PSL or your favorite breakfast dishes to smoothies that taste like dessert such as Bananas Foster. And everything in between.
Some smoothies double up on the fruit, like Very Cherry & Red Raspberry. Others sneak in some veggies to help you achieve Inner Peas. And there are even a few that add ingredients to make them a little extra satisfying to have as a meal.
Then let’s not forget a few kid favorites like this one…
Creamsicle Orange Smoothie Recipe
Yes, this smoothie has that combination of orange and vanilla that you’ve always loved. Whether it was the orange and cream popsicles from the ice cream truck or a swirl of soft serve vanilla ice cream and orange sorbet on a cone in the summer, you know you are craving a taste of childhood. But you can totally satisfy that desire in a healthy way.
How do you make an orange smoothie?
Combine the following ingredients in your blender, and blend until smooth:
- Orange juice – freshly squeezed or from a carton or bottle, just be sure it is 100% juice with no added sugar or artificial flavors. While I usually use milk in smoothies, using OJ gives that extra orange flavor.
- Peeled and seeded orange – yes, you will want to remove the peel, as the pith (the white part) will give a bitter taste to your smoothie. Of course, you need an orange in a creamsicle smoothie.
- Vanilla Greek yogurt – you could use plain, but then you might want to add a bit of vanilla extract and might have to sweeten it up a bit. This is where you pack in the protein.
- Frozen peaches – buy a bag from the freezer section of the grocery store or peel, slice, and freeze them when they are in season. This adds extra fruity goodness.
- Frozen banana – the best thing to do with overripe bananas (besides banana muffins) is to freeze them for smoothies. Cut them into chunks before freezing, or toss the entire peeled banana in the freezer and break it apart when you are ready to make your smoothie. Frozen bananas give smoothies an ice cream-like texture.
As with any smoothie, there are always opportunities to sneak in more nutrition. Add a handful of spinach or other greens to get extra fiber, vitamins, and minerals, though you will lose that bright orange color. Toss in some flax seeds or chia seeds for Omega 3s. Or boost the protein with your favorite protein powder or collagen powder.
Orange Julius Smoothie
OK, it’s possible creamsicles weren’t your treat of choice as a kid. Maybe you preferred grabbing an Orange Julius from the mall. Well, have you looked at what’s in those? Even the copycat recipes I’ve seen don’t even use real fruit.
It’s typically a combination of orange juice concentrate, milk, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and ice. While not terrible, it’s definitely more of a dessert than a healthy breakfast or snack.
Use this recipe instead and you can have a healthy Orange Julius, even when you can’t get to the mall or want something a little more wholesome and satisfying!
For more yumminess from me and my foodie friends, keep up with me on…
Or sign up to have Cupcakes & Kale Chips delivered straight to your Inbox!
Looking for more orange creamsicle recipes?
- Orange Creamsicle Jello Mold
- Creamsicle No-Bake Cheesecake Parfaits
- Orange Creamsicle Magic Shell
- Plus, check out all of these Creamsicle Desserts!
And if you love extra creamy smoothies, try these…
- Strawberry Cheesecake Smoothie
- Peaches and Cream Blueberry Smoothie
- Strawberries and Cream Frappe
- Dairy-Free Peach Mango Smoothie
- Banana Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie
- Sunshine Lemon Smoothie
Orange Creamsicle Smoothie Recipe
From the words of Erin, “Forget the ice cream truck and over-sugary popsicles – this delicious smoothie gets all its flavor and sweetness from real fruit. Perfect for blending up and enjoying as an after-school snack or an after-dinner treat.” I will also add that it’ll definitely wake you up first thing in the morning!
I hope you’ll leave a comment and give it a FIVE STAR rating or share a photo on Pinterest!
Orange Creamsicle Smoothie
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 orange, peeled and seeded
- 1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 cup frozen peaches
- 1 frozen banana
- Add all ingredients into blended, and blend until smooth. Enjoy right away while cold.