Cranberry BBQ Turkey Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Turkey stuffed sweet potatoes sauced up with cranberry sauce and barbecue sauce helps you jazz up leftover turkey in this easy dinner recipe. Sweet potatoes are filled with melted cheese and stuffing or crumbled cornbread. Thanksgiving leftovers get new life with these Cranberry BBQ Turkey Stuffed Sweet Potatoes.
Cranberry BBQ Turkey Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
I loves me a good turkey sandwich. The day after Thanksgiving, I love to mix some leftover cranberry sauce and mayo, spread it on cinnamon raisin or wheat toast, then slap on several slices of leftover turkey. But when we were challenged to come up with a dish using Thanksgiving leftovers for #SundaySupper, I wanted to create with something different. As I always say, I don’t serve leftovers, I repurpose a previous night’s dinner.
As I told you the other day, my family is big on the packaged foods – Pillsbury biscuits, cranberry sauce from a can. So while some of my relatives devour my cranberry sauce, you get those who won’t touch it. So there usually are some leftovers. This really does not sadden me, because I am always happy to keep eating it. But I thought it would be fun to work it into my leftovers meal. I thought the sweet tart cranberry sauce would be a good balance to a spicy barbecue sauce (I try to always have a batch of Dinosaur Bar-B-Q Mutha’ Sauce on hand.
But when I don’t have homemade, Stubb’s is my go-to). My grocery store always sells these ginormous boxes of sweet potatoes. So just set a few aside (because who really needs 5 pounds of sweet potato casserole, along with everything else?), and you are all set for dinner on Friday or Saturday night.
Of course, the taste will vary somewhat depending on the cranberry sauce and barbecue sauce you use.
But mine had a subtle sweetness and tang, with the kick of heat at the end. The crumbly cheddar topping is the perfect salty, cheesy counterpoint to the spicy sweetness of the turkey, sauce and sweet potato. We all enjoyed it, and The Bug just polished off the leftovers of the leftovers tonight. This kid can devour an entire sweet potato in one sitting, and still demands more!
[Tweet “Give #Thanksgiving #leftovers new life with Cranberry BBQ Turkey Stuffed Sweet Potatoes”]
Want to chat with fellow foodies? Join my No-Fuss Food and Fun group on Facebook. Everyday we have fun topics, share recipes and ideas, ask and answer questions, and see all of my new Cupcakes & Kale Chips creations! If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
For more yumminess from me and my foodie friends, keep up with me on…
Or sign up to have Cupcakes & Kale Chips delivered straight to your Inbox!
Leftover cranberry sauce, turkey, and stuffing are about to take on new life with this recipe for Cranberry BBQ Turkey Stuffed Sweet Potatoes!
- 4-6 sweet potatoes scrubbed well
- olive oil preferably in a spray bottle
- kosher salt
- 1/4 cup cranberry sauce
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 cups shredded and/or chopped leftover cooked turkey
- 1 cup finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- About 1/2 cup crumbled cornbread corn muffin, or stuffing
- Preheat your oven to 450°F.
- Lightly spray or rub sweet potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Wrap individually in aluminum foil and bake for about 45 minutes, or until soft (potatoes can also be "baked" in the microwave, if you have less time).
- While potatoes are baking, combine cranberry sauce and barbecue sauce in a medium saucepan, and heat over low to medium heat until the cranberry sauce melts into the barbecue sauce.
- Add the turkey, and cook until heated through.
- Combine the cheese and crumbs in a small bowl.
- Place the potatoes in an oven-safe dish.
- Slice down the potatoes lengthwise, spread open, and fill with the turkey mixture. Sprinkle the cheddar topping over the potatoes and bake for about 5 more minutes, until cheese is melted and crumbs are slightly browned.
Here are some more ways to use up that turkey and cranberry sauce…
Here are the Best Thanksgiving Leftovers Recipes:
Breakfast & Brunch
- Sweet Potato Cinnamon Rolls by Juanita’s Cocina
- Turkey Cranberry Muffins by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Sweet Potato Biscuits by Home Cooking Memories
- Turkey Enchiladas by Webicurean
- Thanksgiving Leftover Casserole by FamilyFoodie
- Turkey and Cranberry Monte Cristo by Supper for a Steal
- Thanksgiving hangover sandwich by Crispy Bits & Burt Ends
- Turkey Tamale Pie by Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Thanksgiving Leftovers Pot Pie by I Run For Wine
- Turkey and Stuffing Pasty by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- The Ultimate Thanksgiving Leftovers Sandwich by Daily Dish Recipes
- Turkey Vegetable Hash by Generation Y Foodie
- Turkey Tetrazzini by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Thanksgiving Leftovers: Turkey and Andouille Gumbo for #SundaySupper by Catholic Foodie
- Red Potato Turkey Cutlets with Ginger & Fresh Herbs by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Thanksgiving Turkey Banh Mi Sandwich by 30AEats
- Leftover Turkey and Sausage Gumbo by My Catholic Kitchen
- Turkey Mornay Open-Face Sandwiches by The Weekend Gourmet
- Leftover Mashed Potatoes and Beef Croquettes by Pippis in the Kitchen Again
- Simple and easy! Turkey a la king, fit for a queen! by Midlife Road Trip
- Turkey and Mushroom Risotto by Comfy Cuisine
- Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Kartoffelpuffer – German Potato Pancakes by MrsMamaHen
- Skillet Turkey Reuben by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- # glutenfree Turkey Shepard’s Cake by Cooking Underwriter
- Hawaiian BBQ Turkey Flatbread Pizza by Damn Delicious
- Turkey shepards pie! by The Realistic Nutritionist
- Turkey & Cranberry Panini with Tarragon Aioli by The Messy Baker Blog
Soups, Salads, Sides & Starters
- Gluten Free Turkey and Dumplings by The Meltaways
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Shallots and Pancetta by Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Curried Turkey Salad by Kimchi Mom
- Potato Patties w/ Tomato Salsa by La Cocina De Leslie
- Spicy Coconut Turkey Soup by Diabetic Foodie
- Mashed Potatoes Twice Baked by Hezzi-D’s Books & Cooks
- Moroccan Chicken Salad with Rice by My Trial’s in the Kitchen
- Cranberry Barbecue Stuffed Sweet Potatoes by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Olive Tapenade by Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Leftover Turkey Soup by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Sweet Potato Bread Pudding by MarocMama
Sweets & Desserts
- Cranberry Sauce Crumb Bars by girlichef
- Pumpkin Gingersnap Truffles by Chocolate Moosey
- Sweet Potato Spice Cake with Pecan Streusel Topping by Shockingly Delicious
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Potato Frosting by Yummy Smells
Wine Pairings for the Recipes Featured
- Wine Pairings for Thanksgiving Leftovers #SundaySupper by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog