There’s nothing corny about this week’s #SundaySupper – we’ve got over 35 Summer Corn Recipes coming out of our ears! Add some South American flavor to basic grilled corn on the cob by adding fresh and spicy Aji sauce and crumbly, salty cheese to make this super simple Peruvian-Style Grilled Street Corn.
Peruvian-Style Grilled Street Corn
When I was a kid, the only veggie I would eat was corn. Well, I thought the only veggie I would eat was corn except that corn isn’t even a veggie. And most of the time, it was corn straight out of the can and heated on the stove. When summer came and Jersey corn was tasting amazing, I’d eat corn on the cob as long as it was slathered with butter and sprinkled with salt.
My palette has expanded over the years, and many more vegetables are a daily part of my life, but one thing remains the same – I am a corn on the cob purist. Sure I like corn chowder and corn pudding and I’ve even cut the corn off the cob to saute it or put it in grilled cheese. But when it comes to eating it straight from the cob, I’ve remained true to the simplicity of boiling and buttering.
Sure I’ve seen it grilled and covered with sauces and cheeses and even wrapped in bacon, but when I was living in New Jersey which, to me, is basically the corn capital of the world, I never wanted to mess with perfection. Maybe I’ve finally succumbed to seeing street corn recipes all over Pinterest. Or possibly it’s just that Maryland corn does not meet my exacting standards, so I am now more willing to add other flavors and ingredients. But let’s say I’m pretty glad I stopped being so stubborn and gave in…
Peruvian-Style Grilled Street Corn is a fun and easy way to kick up basic corn on the cob. Grilling the corn gives it that lovely bit of char, then you add the Peruvian staple known as Aji sauce to give it a little fresh and spicy flavor. A sprinkling of queso fresco or cotija cheese may be a little more authentic, but these cheeses can be a bit more expensive and harder to find. So if you can’t find or don’t want to buy one of those cheeses, crumbled feta also works perfectly for that bit of salty punch. There’s a lot going on here, but it all balances perfectly – crispy, creamy, rich, and fresh, all playing off of each other. It’s definitely a great way to add something new to the same old barbecue menu.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here:Sunday Supper Movement.
Then check out all of the recipes for corn galore at the bottom of this post, as well as this week’s host Ellen from Family Around the Table!
What’s your favorite way to eat corn on the cob?
For more yumminess from me and my foodie friends, keep up with me on…
Or sign up to have Cupcakes & Kale Chips delivered straight to your Inbox!
Peruvian-Style Grilled Street Corn
Corn on the cob slathered with fresh and spicy Aji sauce and cheese is an easy summer side dish recipe.
- six ears corn on the cob
- olive oil
- Aji sauce (see below)
- About 1/4 cup queso fresco, cotija cheese, or feta cheese
For the Aji sauce
- 2 jalapenos, roughly chopped (ribs and seeds removed unless you want it extra spicy)
- 1 cup packed fresh cilantro, including the leaves and stems
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon. apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your grill to medium. Shuck corn, either peeling back the husks and leaving them attached, or removing completely.
- Brush corn with a little olive oil and place on the grill for about 10-12 minutes, turning frequently until cooked and slightly charred.
- Remove from the grill, drizzle with Aji sauce, and top with cheese.
For the Aji sauce:
- Combine the ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Store in the refrigerator.
Enjoy this Peruvian-Style Grilled Street Corn recipe!
Here’s some more corny recipes from me…
And I hope you are all ears for these #SundaySupper corn recipes…
- Bacon and Corn Chowder by Latin Meet Lagniappe
- Cajun Baked Shrimp and Corn Dip by The Weekend Gourmet
- Cheesy Corn Tomato Tartlets by Sunday Supper Movement
- Cheesy Grilled Corn Dip by Helpful Homemade
- Crab & Jalapeno Hush Puppies by Simply Healthy Family
- Grilled Corn Salsa by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Indian Cheese Corn Toast: Popular Vegetarian Recipe by Easy Cooking with Molly
- Roasted Corn and Tomato Bruschetta by Monica’s Table
- Blueberry Masa Harina Pancakes by Magnolia Days
- Grilled Corn Ravioli Caprese Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Griled Corn and Avocado Salad by Garden Matter
- Grilled Tri Tip and Roasted Corn Salad by The Freshman Cook
- Healthy Corn, Edamame & Avocado Salad by Food Done Light
- Summer Vegetable Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Black Bean Corn Casserole by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cornbread Waffles with Pulled Pork by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Fresh Corn Fettuccine by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Fresh Corn Polenta with Summer Vegetables by Caroline’s Cooking
- Pasta with Creamy Corn Sauce and Summer Vegetables by Delaware Girl Eats
- Polenta Stuffed Peppers by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Shrimp Corn Chowder by Feeding Big and More
- A-maize-ing Maple Cornbread by Family Around The Table
- Blueberry and Corn Skillet Bread by Wholistic Woman
- Corn Pudding by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Corn Pudding with Jalapenos and Chiles by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Easy Addictive Corn by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Galey iyo Qumbo (Somali Corn in Coconut Sauce) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Honey Cornbread Muffins by Life Tastes Good
- Mealie Bread (South African Sweetcorn Bread) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Jalapeno Popper Cornbread Muffins by The Crumby Cupcake
- Peruvian Grilled Street Corn by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Skillet Corn with Bacon by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Skillet Fried Corn by New South Charm
- Skillet Jalapeno Cornbread by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Blackberry Cornbread Buckle by Pies and Plots
- Brazilian Corn Cookies by What Smells So Good?
- Easy Cornmeal Budino with Blueberry Marmellata by Cooking With Carlee
- Mais Con Hielo-Corn on Ice by Asian In America
- Margarita Popcorn by The Redhead Baker
- Sweet Corn Ice Cream by Baking Sense