Who wants to do loads and loads of dishes when you can make your meal (or appetizer or dessert) in one pot? Well this week #SundaySupper is giving you an amazing array of recipes that allow you to do just that. And I have a hearty and comforting, but still light and healthy Chicken Corn Chowder.
Chicken Corn Chowder
I sort of have a cookbook problem. I guess this isn’t an unusual problem amongst the foodie crowd, but I have, oh, about a bazillion cookbooks. You know how some people buy t-shirts or shot glasses or something like that wherever they travel? I buy cookbooks. I have cookbooks from London, Charleston, Vermont, New Orleans, Hawaii, the list goes on and on. I tell myself I’ll make the recipes to remind myself of a meal we had or a style of cooking that we enjoyed on one of our vacations. Rarely happens.
Then there are those that I see on the clearance shelves in Barnes & Noble that ohmygoodnessthisissocoolandonlyfivebucksImushhaveit!!!! And there they sit.
Because when I need a recipe, am I really going to page through cookbook after cookbook after cookbook when there is that amazingly wonderful thing called Google? And a whole lot of awesome bloggers and other electronic resources out there? I mean, it is fun to page through cookbooks, but with two kids, a house, a husband and a blog keeping me busy, ain’t nobody got time for that!
This recipe is actually from one of my cookbooks. Remember when Oprah was on one of her four hundred sixty seven different diets and she had that personal chef Rosie? Well, Oprah and Rosie published a cookbook. This is from that book. The only recipe I make from that book. Only it’s not really from the book anymore. I’ve been making it for years, but honestly I don’t think I ever made it in its original form.
Really, this soup couldn’t be easier – cook up onion and corn in some chicken broth, puree it in a blender (sorry, does that break the one pot rule? Then use an immersion blender if you have one), then add chicken and peas and carrots or whatever veggies you like. The original recipe recommends fresh corn, but I honestly think I have only ever used frozen. You can use fresh or frozen peas and carrots, pick up a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, or use leftovers when you roast a bird or cook up a bunch of breasts.
This has been a favorite of my family for a long time, and as soon as the weather starts to cool down, a batch of Chicken Corn Chowder must be made. It is hearty and comforting, with a creamy texture, but no cream, which keeps it a bit lighter and healthier.
And now whenever I need MY Chicken Corn Chowder recipe, I don’t need the cookbook anymore. I can just go to the internet 😉
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
And check out the rest of Sunday Supper One Pot recipes at the bottom of this post.
Do you still reference cookbooks, or do you primarily use the internet?
Chicken Corn Chowder
An easy and healthier version of this classic hearty and comforting soup.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat
- Add the onion and a pinch of salt and pepper, and saute for about 5 minutes, until translucent.
- Add 4 cups of corn, sage, and thyme, and saute for 4-5 minutes to start to soften the corn.
- Add 2 cups of chicken stock and cook about 15-20 minutes to soften the corn.
- Transfer the entire mixture to a blender or use an immersion blender and puree until smooth.
- Return the puree to the saucepan over medium-low heat, and add the remaining 2 cups stock, 2 c corn, chicken, peas and carrots.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for another 10-20 minutes, until heated through and carrots are tender (time will depend on whether you used fresh or frozen carrots).
I think soups like these make fabulous one-pot meals…
- Soul-Warming Butternut Squash Soup
- Vegetable “Flu-Buster” Soup
- Cheesy Chipotle Chicken Sausage Chowder
And here are all of the One Pot Wonders from my Sunday Supper friends:
“Take the chill off” Chilis, Soups, and Starters
- Spicy Sausage and Sweet Potato Soup by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Eggplant Parmesan Soup by The Texan New Yorker
- Cream of Tomato and Tortellini Soup by Noshing With The Nolands
- Chicken Tortilla Soup by What Smells So Good?
- Chicken Corn Chowder by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Spinach and Mushroom Tortellini Soup by Neighborfood
- Lasagna Soup by The ROXX Box
- Beefy Skillet Nacho Bake by The Weekend Gourmet
- German Onion Soup by Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- White Bean and Spinach Soup by Ruffles & Truffles
- Korean Oxtail Soup (Kkori Gomtang) by kimchi MOM
- Fall Squash Chili by Pescetarian Journal
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili by Alida’s Kitchen
“Put meat on your bones” Stews
- Brew Stewed Beef by The Foodie Army Wife
- Dr. Pepper Shredded Chicken (slow cooker) by girlichef
- Pepper Beef Stew by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Slow Cooked Beef Stew with Red Wine, Carrots and Tomatoes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Fabulous French Cassoulet by Webicurean
- Slowcooker Coq Au Vin by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Claypot Braised Tofu by My Trials in the Kitchen
- Moroccan Lentil Ragout with Poached Eggs by The Wimpy Vegetarian
“Make room for seconds” Main Dishes
- Slow Cooker Hawaiian Kalua Pork by Shockingly Delicious
- Chicken and Dumplings by Hip Foodie Mom
- Spicy Tomato Pasta by Supper for a Steal
- Spicy Coconut Chicken Casserole by The Urban Mrs.
- Carnitas with Queso Fresco Enchiladas by Casa de Crews
- Slow Cooker Garlic and Herb Pork Chops and Veggies by Cookin’ Mimi
- Jambalaya by Country Girl in the Village
- Easy Oven Sweet & Sour Chicken by Momma’s Meals
- Asian Chicken Rice Pot by a distinguished palate
- Quick One Pot Red Beans and Rice by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sweet & Sour Vegetarian Stir Fry by Foxes Love Lemons
- One-Pot Lentil Chicken by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Beef and Quince Tajine by MarocMama
- Slow-Cooked Italian Beef Sandwiches by Juanita’s Cocina
- Sunday Supper Pork and Chorizo by Family Foodie
- Mediterranean Chicken Bake by The Dinner-Mom
- Easy Chorizo, Corn and Potatoes by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Crockpot Roasted Corn, Tomato and Broccoli Risotto by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Quick ‘n Easy Asian-Style Quinoa by NinjaBaking.com
- Pan-fried Chicken with Bacon and Asparagus by Food Lust People Love
- Vegetarian Chipotle Tamale Pie by Curious Cuisiniere
- Turkey Sausage and Noodle Pesto by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- One Pot Coconut Rice Shrimp Pilaf by Sue’s Nutrition Buzzz
- One Pot Spicy Pasta by Mess Makes Food
“Can’t say no” Desserts
- Vegan Chocolate-Peanut Butter Pudding by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Busy-Day S’mores Cake by Treats & Trinkets
- Mascarpone Pumpkin Cheesecake in the Microwave by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Pie Spice Apple Crisp by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Flourless Almond Butter Cookies by Pies and Plots