Browned butter peas and carrots is a simple way to add incredible flavor to a basic vegetable side dish recipe. Without a lot of time, fuss, or ingredients, and in just minutes, you can be enjoying this delicious recipe.
Browned Butter Peas and Carrots
My sister is ten years younger than me. My brothers are even younger than that, and I never lived with them. So while I love my siblings, I still feel as though I grew up an an only child. I never had that close connection to a brother or sister, where you play all day and share secrets, and a bunch of other things that I suppose close siblings do.
When we got ready to have a second child, and especially when I found out it was a boy, I had daydreams about my little guys being best buds. Building forts and playing all day in their bedroom together, building Lego fortresses, joking around, laughing, and all of that good stuff.
I think we are almost on the verge of that. Obviously a newborn is not a good playmate for a three year old big brother, and a baby brother who can barely walk is not much fun for a preschooler who wants to run around and play. For a while, the little one doesn’t understand when the big one tries to set up his Star Wars figures, and the big one barely understands a word the little one says.
But now, finally, they actually make those forts and build those towers of blocks. They line up the Matchbox cars and put towers together. They’ll watch the same shows and movies. Even the wrestling and roughhousing doesn’t always end in tears because they are a bit more evenly matched. My little guy is a tough cookie.
Now don’t get me wrong, we still have moments of fighting and bickering and taking toys from each other, but I’m excited that the early signs of brother best buddies are there, and I’m sure one day my boys will go together like…
Browned Butter Peas and Carrots is a super simple way to add a ton of flavor to plain old, same old veggies. I know, you’re thinking, “Of course butter adds flavor, along with calories and fat and blah blah blah…” Let me tell you, when you brown the butter, you only need a li’l tablespoon for the whole recipe to add a seriously nutty and fragrant flavor punch. That makes this recipe not only delicious, but also healthy, gluten free, and paleo. And the kids will gobble down those golden coins and green drops. Winning!
The only tricky thing about this recipe is browning the butter – just go slow, watch it carefully. In this case, it’s fine to not get it completely browned before adding the carrots and peas, because it’ll continue to develop its flavors and aroma after you toss in the veggies.
Not only is this Browned Butter Peas and Carrots simple enough for everyday meals, but the burst of flavor makes it special enough for a holiday dinner. Perhaps alongside a Cranberry Crusted Prime Rib Roast.
Did you get along with your siblings? Are your kids best buddies?
For more yumminess from me and my foodie friends, keep up with me on…
Or sign up to have Cupcakes & Kale Chips delivered straight to your Inbox!
Here’s my favorite veggie peeler…
Don’t forget to let me know what you think of these browned butter peas and carrots.
- pound carrots, peeled and cut into quarter inch thick slices
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 8 ounces frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place carrots in a steamer rack over simmering water and steam until crisp-tender, as you prefer.
- While the carrots are steaming, heat a pan over medium-low heat. Add the butter, let it melt and start to foam. Stir frequently until the butter becomes golden in color and some brown bits start to collect at the bottom. Be careful not to burn the butter.
- Add the carrots and peas to the butter, stir to coat the peas and carrots, and cook until peas are hot and carrots have developed a nice golden color.
- Stir in the thyme and season to taste with salt and pepper.
If you enjoyed the browned butter peas and carrots recipe, there’s more where that came from!
Eat the rainbow on my Veggie Recipes Pinterest Board.
Follow Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips’s board Veggie Recipes! on Pinterest.Love the nutty flavor browned butter adds to veggies?
- Browned Butter Whipped Butternut Squash
- Maple Sweet Potatoes with Browned Butter Pecan Topping
- Browned Butter Summer Vegetable Saute
Plus some from my friends…
- Butternut Squash Noodles in Sage Browned Butter Sauce from Boulder Locavore
- Brown Butter Mashed Potatoes from The Food Charlatan
- Roasted Asparagus with Balsamic Browned Butter from That Skinny Chick Can Bake