Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash
Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash is a simple, four ingredient vegetable side dish perfect for an easy weeknight dinner or a holiday meal bursting with fall flavors. This roasted veggie recipe is naturally gluten free, vegan, and paleo, making it a healthy side everyone will love. Though you can also use leftover bacon drippings instead of olive oil to really kick up the flavor. Check out the video to see how to make these maple roasted Brussels sprouts and butternut squash.
How to Roast Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash with Maple Syrup
With only four ingredients plus salt and pepper, it doesn’t get any easier to make these roasted vegetables. Just toss the veggies in olive oil, maple syrup, salt, and pepper, then pop them in a nice, hot oven. That’s the key to get the amazing flavor of caramelization from roasting. Sure to convert even the picky eaters, sprouts-haters and sprouts-lovers will go crazy for the hint of sweetness that balances the earthy flavor of those little leafy green guys from both the maple syrup and the butternut squash. But if you really want to kick up the flavor, make this Maple Hot Bacon Dressing, and instead of olive oil, toss the veggies in a little leftover bacon grease.
Oh, how love evolves over the years. The Hubby professed his love for me by secretly leaving a note on my car. We started dating and while most days it was just hanging out watching movies or grabbing a soup and salad after work at Panera, there was still the fancy dinners, evenings in New York or Philly, and even the occasional necklace or (and yes I do consider this romantic) KitchenAid Stand Mixer or other such lavish gifts.
And beyond material things, we had all the time in the world to be lazy on Saturday mornings, leisurely sip wine as he grilled a balsamic marinated flank steak, actually have a conversation without having to referee two kids.
My how things change. Last weekend was the ultimate expression of our love for one another at our current stage in life. I was sick, and yet I still stayed up to watch the Penn State win the Big 10 Championship in football with him. Like, legit watched football, not pretended to watch football while I perused Facebook and Pinterest. Then I fell asleep into a NyQuil-induced stupor, and he let me stay in bed until 9:00 on Sunday morning when regained consciousness and shook away the foggy head.
That, my friends, is love when you have two very active, very hungry, very early risers living under your roof.
You know what else is love? He has lifted his ban on Brussels sprouts being allowed in the house. Now that doesn’t mean he actually eats them, but at least I’m allowed to make roasted Brussel sprouts. And since he won’t eat them, hey, more for me…
What do you serve with Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash?
- This recipe makes a great side dish for BBQ-Rubbed Slow Cooker Turkey Breast or Rosemary Balsamic Roast Chicken.
- You can definitely enjoy it with Butternut Squash Macaroni and Cheese.
- Also use the veggies to make this Roasted Butternut Squash, Pomegranate, and Goat Cheese Salad.
- Instead of just the basic roasted butternut squash, why not try tossing the added roasted Brussels sprouts into this Roasted Butternut Squash and Pomegranate Quinoa or on top of this Roasted Butternut Squash, Prosciutto, and Goat Cheese Pesto Pizza.
What do you need to make Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash?
Products from Amazon.com
- Price: $43.99Was: $52.95
- Price: $20.99Was: $27.29
- Price: $24.95
If you like this recipe, you’ll also love these roasted veggies recipes…
- Lemon Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
- Balsamic Roasted Vegetables
- Basic Roasted Cauliflower
- Pumpkin Pie Spice Melting Sweet Potatoes
- And you can also check out How to Perfectly Roast Any Vegetable from A Southern Plate
For more yumminess from me and my foodie friends, keep up with me on…
Or sign up to have Cupcakes & Kale Chips delivered straight to your Inbox!
Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash Recipe
Maple Brussel sprouts and butternut squash are so easy to make and will have the entire family eating their veggies. Simple, healthy, and versatile, it’s the perfect easy side dish recipe for busy weeknights, delicious to pair with a Sunday roast, or even to serve alongside a Thanksgiving turkey or Christmas ham. The sweetness of the maple syrup and the natural caramelization from roasting is just the right balance to the savory flavor of the the veggies.
I hope you’ll leave a comment and give it a FIVE STAR rating or share a photo on this pin on Pinterest!
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed, larger ones cut in half
- 2 lb butternut squash, peeled and cut into half inch cubes
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil or reserved bacon drippings
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly coat a baking sheet with olive oil or cooking spray.
- Toss the Brussels sprouts and butternut squash with the olive oil or bacon drippings and maple syrup, season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat evenly.
- Transfer the vegetables to the prepared baking sheet. Roast for 40-50 minutes, stirring once halfway through the cooking time, or until tender and golden brown.