Sesame Glazed Cauliflower “Wings” for a #SundaySupper Tailgate {#glutenfree #vegan}

Football season is kicking off, and what better way to celebrate than with a #SundaySupper Tailgate.  And I’ve got wings.  Well, “wings”.  Yup, Sesame Glazed Cauliflower “Wings”.

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALLLLLLLLLL?!?!?!?!

We are already well over a week in to football season at my house.  You see, we are college football fans, and my alma mater, Rutgers, had one of the first games of the NCAA season last Thursday.  The Bug is broken in already, and he isn’t phased when The Hubby starts ranting and raving during Penn State games.  And he is always ranting and raving.  Even when they are winning, they aren’t winning enough, or they are not winning the right way.  It’s actually hysterical…  if it weren’t so annoying.  Baby Smiles is still getting used to this, but man, it is rough being the baby in our house during college football season.

The Hubby is hard core – seriously missed his calling as a coach or a scout.  I mean, we have to plan our lives around Penn State games, and when he does miss a game, he DVRs it.  You know, because that is gonna change the outcome.  But he has to analyze the plays.  I try to tell him that all that matters is that they score more points than the other team.

He disagrees.  ”It’s all about setting up for the next game.  We gotta focus on our strengths.”  You have no idea.

The other thing The Hubby is hard core about it meat. Seriously an uber-carnivore – I made a baked ziti-ish dish with all kinds of cheese and stuff, and he needed me to make him turkey sausage with it, because he had to have meat.  And he loved these Sesame Glazed Cauliflower “Wings”.  Which disappointed me since I wanted to devour the entire plate.

And you know you have that vegetarian or vegan or gluten-free friend or relative, right?  Well, I’m just helping you out.  And they will have to fight off the meat-eaters, who will love them too, if The Hubby and I are any indication.

Not a football fan?  We loved these as a veggie side dish for my Maple Sesame Glazed Salmon, and they would be great with Cauliflower Fried Rice or Thai Larb Chicken Lettuce Cups.

Sesame Glazed Cauliflower "Wings" will be devoured by both vegetarians and meat-eaters alike | cupcakesandkalechips.com | #appetizer #vegetarian #vegan #glutenfreeJoin the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

And check out all of the awesome tailgating recipes from the rest of the #SundaySupper team at the bottom of this post.

Sesame Glazed Cauliflower "Wings" will be devoured by both vegetarians and meat-eaters alike | cupcakesandkalechips.com | #appetizer #vegetarian #vegan #glutenfreeDo you know any crazy football fans?  Are you a yeller and a screamer?

4.7 from 7 reviews

Sesame Glazed Cauliflower “Wings”

Serve up Sesame Glazed Cauliflower “Wings” for the big game. These sweet, savory, sticky bites will be devoured by both vegetarians and meat-eaters.
Author:
Recipe type: Appetizer, Side
Ingredients
For the sauce:
  • ½ c soy sauce (or tamari for gluten free)
  • ¼ c honey (or agave or maple syrup for vegan)
  • ½ T grated fresh ginger
  • 1 T sesame oil
  • ¼ c rice vinegar
  • 1-2 sliced scallions
  • 1 T sesame seeds
For the cauliflower:
  • One large head cauliflower
  • ½ c flour (I used brown rice flour, but I have seen similar recipes where regular all purpose flour was used)
  • ½ c milk of choice (I used almond milk)
  • ½ t garlic powder
  • Optional additional sesame seeds and/or scallions for garnish, if desired
Instructions
For the sauce:
  1. Combine all of the sauce ingredients in a bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
For the cauliflower:
  1. Preheat your oven to 450°F, and spray a baking sheet with oil or cooking spray.
  2. Cut the cauliflower into florets. The smaller they are, the faster they will cook and softer they will get.
  3. Whisk together the remaining ingredients in a bowl.
  4. Toss the cauliflower in the batter until thoroughly coated.
  5. Arrange the cauliflower on the baking sheet in a single layer.
  6. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until slightly less done than you want them.
  7. Remove from the oven and pour the sauce over the cauliflower (see Note).
  8. Return to oven for another 5 minutes.
  9. Remove from the oven and gently flip and toss the cauliflower in the sauce on the sheet.
  10. Return to the oven for another 5 minutes.
  11. Place the cauliflower on a serving plate or bowl, and if desired, sprinkle with some additional scallion and/or sesame seeds.
  12. If desired, pour any remaining sauce off of the baking sheet into a bowl for dipping.
Notes
This does make quite a bit of sauce. I like to pour it all over and let it cook down a bit in the oven, but you can pour over less, and save some for dipping.

Enjoy!

OK, so you neeeeeeed meat for your tailgate?  I’ve got you covered.

Buffalo Chicken Sloppy Sandwiches

Buffalo-Chicken-Sloppy-Sandwich-5-title-wm.jpg

Bill’s Chili

Bills-Chili-4.jpg

Slow Cooker Root Beer Pulled Pork

Slow-Cooker-Root-Beer-Pulled-Pork-5.jpg

And #SundaySupper will help you round out your tailgate menu, too!

Warm Ups (Appetizers):

Game Time (Main Dishes and Sides):

Overtime (Drinks and Desserts):

Signature
Want to see lots more yummy food from me and my friends, and cute pictures of my kids?

Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Pinterest | Bloglovin | Instagram | StumbleUpon

Or subscribe via email to get Cupcakes & Kale Chips in your Inbox.

This post may be linked to any of these parties.

Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. I earn a small percentage from any purchases you may make if you click on them.  These companies have not contacted me.  I use the stuff because I love it.

Comments

1. says

Oh my goodness, Brianne. I can see why both carnivores and veggie lovers would be diving for this dish. I’ve saved this recipe and definitely want to give it a go. To avoid spillage in the oven, I’m thinking to put the florets in a baking dish so when I add sauce, no dripping occurs. Or do you paint on the sauce like egg yolk on scones? What do you think?

• says

A baking dish would work, but for a whole head you may need two. I guess the technical term for what I used is “jelly roll pan”. It is a baking sheet or cookie sheet with about half inch high sides. No spillage using that with this amount of sauce.

2. says

Rutgers is my alma mater, too! Those games were always so much fun. I love this recipe, it sounds delicious and is such a good alternative for those of us who aren’t meat eaters.

3. says

Haha your son reminds me of my nephew. He used to cry when the Gators lost. Luckily we had a good season that year and I think he only cried one or two times, but he would be so upset and no one could talk to him (he was about 5 lol) I can’t wait to try these healthy wings :)

4. says

I absolutely love this idea! Cauliflower is so versatile. I would not be able to stop eating these. If I lived in your house, I’d have to take mine in the other room to watch other TV. I’m okay with professional football, though I’d prefer to watch something else, but college football puts me to sleep.

5. says

Your house sounds a lot like mine! Especially this part, “they aren’t winning enough or they aren’t winning the right way.” I can’t complain though, I’m just as crazy as the hubby on this one! I’m so intrigued by this recipe. If it can get the Mr. to eat cauliflower, it’ll be a miracle!

6. says

What an awesome and fun recipe. Roasted cauliflower is my favorite, but I never considered elevating cauliflower into something like this. Looks delicious!

7. Rhonda says

I was interested in the recipe -then I started reading about your hubby & college football . I just had to laugh, I think our hubbies are twins, except mine is for Michigan. He thinks the louder he yells, they will hear him (when loosing). It would be funny if it weren’t so annoying! Anyway, go Lions (I’m from PA). And , yes your recipe looks great, can’t wait to try it.

8. says

haha.. Your hubbie sounds like mine. Gotta love it when they start yelling at the ref and telling them why the call the made was wrong. Like their going to them check the call? Love how you “healthified” wings. These look and sound delicious. Pinning and can’t wait to try.

9. says

I keep trying to like cauliflower but no matter what I try I just can’t fall in love with it. Cauliflower pizza crust, cauliflower fried rice, nothing seems to work for me. But THIS…now this I think I can do. I am actually finding myself drooling over cauliflower!

10. Colissa says

Did I read this right? 1/2 Cup of Soy sauce? That seems a little much compared to the other ingredients. I have made my first attempt and would like to know if it sauce is supposed to be so runny. My first batch is in the oven now..so I am crossing my fingers. Thanks

11. says

What a great idea! I’m going to have to make these, thanks for sharing the recipe :) Oh, and I’m also now following your blog (I found you via Premeditated Leftovers)

12. Sarah Newell says

I made this tonight, and it was delicious! New favorite cauliflower recipe! I will be making this way too often! Thanks for the recipe!

13. natehk says

I made these last night and they tasted amazing. However they didn’t get the crunchiness I was expecting, especially since there was a batter. Was pretty much like a cauliflower stirfry, maybe even softer. Any tips on upping the crunchiness but keeping them somewhat healthy?

• says

No, they don’t come out really crunchy. Baking them longer might make the outside crunchier, but the cauliflower itself will get softer, I would think. But maybe use less of the glaze, put it on sooner, and bake it a little longer after you pour it on?

14. Kelli Magrath says

I am so glad I accidently stumbled onto this recipe today! I was already planning on making buffalo cauliflower bites (which I made for the first time last week) tonight, but when I saw these and realized I already had all the ingredients on hand, I knew I had to try them. My husband and I both declared these our favorite way to prepare cauliflower! Going to try the baked cauli-tots next! Thanks!

15. Michel says

I was so excited to make this last night and it turned out to be kind of a disaster. I followed the recipe to the tee and while it tasted great, the batter didn’t stick to the cauliflower. Then the batter pooled and got stuck on the bottom of the greased pan. I was in it this far, so I kept on going and tried to toss the pieces and then poured on the sauce, which turned the batter that slipped off the cauliflower into a booger-like consistency. I followed the 1:1 ratio of the milk and batter and it was very liquidy. I will say that it was really delicious, just really ugly. What did I do wrong?

• says

Hmmmm, I’ve never had the batter slip off. Was you cauliflower still damp from washing it? Or maybe try some smaller pieces so there is more area for it to stick to and it can “soak in” to the florets more? Perhaps you could try tossing the cauliflower in a bit or dry flour before the batter? The sauce does soften the coating a bit, but I imagine it did more so because of how yours slipped off the cauliflower. So sorry items isn’t work out for you. We have had it several times and I’ve heard from others who have made it.

• says

Sorry for the delayed response. Things got really crazy before the holidays. My batter is fairly watery, though perhaps you could try adding a bit more flour. Did you use rice flour or wheat flour? I sometimes leave them in the batter for a few minutes, but not very long. I;m sure letting it soak in to the florets a little more couldn’t hurt.

16. Ali says

Do you think that I could skip the batter part and just roast the cauliflower? Then coat with the sauce and put back into the oven for a few minutes? I figured that would keep the calories down but wasn’t sure if it would work.
    Thanks!

• says

I think that would be a tasty option! I do like the brown rice flour because it is a whole grain and not a ton of calories in the whole batch, but I think just glazing roasted cauliflower would be yummy too!

17. Selena M says

I added some Sriracha for spice and warmed the sauce on the stove with a little cornstarch to thicken it. I tossed the “wings” in the sauce and put it back on the tray to dry so to speak. I also put the sauce on steamed broccoli and it was delish. Great recipes for someone trying to eat and enjoy cauliflower. Thanks!!

18. Alex says

I made this recipe tonight for dinner, and it was….delicious! I was skeptical because the sauce seemed very thin, but it seemed to thicken up a bit during the last 5 minutes of roasting. The only thing I would change next time is that I would probably soak the cauliflower in the sauce in a small bowl for a minute or so, before the final 5 minutes of baking.