This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Making your own takeout is usually healthier, cheaper and tastier than the cartons of food the delivery guy drops at your door, plus it can often be faster. Recreate an Asian favorite with this recipe for Chicken Fried Rice.
Chicken Fried Rice
I don’t know about you but I love Chinese food. However I hate the feeling I walk away with afterwards. So I’ve experimented a lot with making it at home the last couple of years. I love Fried Rice but I wanted to make an actual meal out of it one day. So I thought I’d try combining another recipe I had made for a Chinese Noodle Casserole and added some cooked shredded chicken to make this perfect Chicken Fried Rice for a Date Night with my husband and I. It was a big hit. He adds hot sauce, I add a bunch of green onion and we are both happy!
I love having themed nights with my family I like experimenting with other cultures and my oldest is starting to understand more about foods and where they come from. We’ve done Italian Night, where I made a Bruschetta Chicken Bake and the last time we did a Chinese Food Night I had to research the difference between a Lo Mein and Chow Mein. It makes cooking fun!
What is your favorite Chinese Food to make at home?
Get Cupcakes & Kale Chips delivered to your Inbox! Every Friday you’ll see all of the Yummy Eats & Tasty Sweets from the week. Sign up HERE.
Chicken Fried Rice
- 1/4 cup Soy sauce
- 1/4 Cup rice wine or dry sherry
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbs sesame oil
- 1/8 Tsp Pepper
- 1/4 cup Chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 cups brown rice
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 Cup cooked shredded chicken or rotisserie
- 1/2 cup water chestnuts
- 3 Carrots sliced
- 3 ribs celery sliced
- 1 Cup frozen peas completely thawed
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Green scallions optional
- In a microwavable safe dish heat the carrots and celery for 2-3 minutes. Meanwhile cook the rice according to the packaged directions, drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet add the carrots and celery and sauté over medium heat for roughly 10 minutes, moving around often.
- In small bowl combine the soy sauce, Chinese rice wine, brown sugar, sesame oil and pepper. Set aside.
- In small mason jar or something that has a cover add the broth and cornstarch and shake well. Set aside. Scramble 2 eggs in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Add the chicken, rice, peas and soy sauce mixture to the sauté pan and mix to combine. Add in the stock mixture mixing well to combine. Let the mixture come to a slow boil. Push all of the ingredients to the side of the pan forming a circle of open space in the middle. Add the scrambled eggs and let them sit for a minute or two.
- Once they start to form start mixing them around to cook in the circle. Then proceed to mix them into the rest of the ingredients.
- Serve with sliced scallions and hot sauce!
Here are a few more make-your-own-takeout Asian-inspired dishes…