Grilled asparagus is a delicious and healthy way to eat fresh asparagus. This recipe flavors it up even further, with the addition of lemon and Manchego cheese. It’s one of my favorite gluten free asparagus recipes! #SundaySupper is grilling and chilling with a menu of over 40 Recipes to Throw on the Barbie. I’ve got the simplest of veggie side dish recipes with only a few ingredients and a ton of flavor. Grab a handful of lovely green stalks and put together this easy and elegant Grilled Asparagus with Lemon and Manchego Cheese. Next weekend is Memorial Day and my husband has already set off all of my anxieties – he said he wants to invite a few people from work over for a barbecue. Now you would think as a food blogger I would be excited about this. I love to cook. I love to try new recipes. But I think being a food blogger is what sets off my anxieties. You see, people know I am a food blogger. The Hubby tells them what I do, maybe they even check out my site and they see perfectly plated, well-lit dishes that look amazing. So I get a little teeny bit paranoid that they are going to expect that when they come over. You know, like if I try a new dish and it isn’t a homerun, they’re gonna be all like, “She’s a food blogger?! She does this for a living?!” And if I just go with the basics, again, they’ll be all like, “She’s a food blogger?! She does this for a living?!” I know it’s all in my head. Maybe they are happy to just come over for a fun afternoon. Maybe they don’t care what I make, and maybe they are happy to even bring along a dish or two. But I feel like I need to live up to the expectations that really only exist in my own head. And the crazy thing is that it goes both ways. I think people are sometimes intimidated to cook for a food blogger, when really I’m just happy to enjoy food I don’t have to cook and company. So I guess if those are my expectations, I should expect that others’ expectations of me are the same. We all just want to have a good time. So maybe we’ll just go with burgers and dogs, and maybe I’ll even give in and let the guests help out with the sides and sweets. But I’m here to help you.
If you want to impress without much effort, you need to make grilled asparagus with lemon and Manchego cheese!
Grilled Asparagus with Lemon and Manchego Cheese couldn’t be quicker or easier to make.
Toss asparagus in olive oil, salt and pepper, and grill till tender and toasty. Then top with shredded Manchego cheese and some lemon zest. The preparation is totally basic, but the flavor is anything but. You get the lovely earthy char on the asparagus. The cheese melts ever-so-slightly and brings a sharp, salty bite. And the heat from the asparagus releases all of the flavor and aroma from just a little bit of zest, giving a light, fresh flavor to balance the richness of the cheese. Easy peasy lemon squeezy, as The Bug would say. And no Manchego? No problem. Some Parmesan or Romano or Asiago would work just fine, or you could even use an extra sharp white cheddar. Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here:Sunday Supper Movement. Then check out all of the #SundaySupper recipes for your grilling pleasure at the bottom of this post. Do you like to entertain?
For more yumminess from me and my foodie friends, keep up with me on…
Or sign up to have Cupcakes & Kale Chips delivered straight to your Inbox!
Here are a few things you might need to make grilled asparagus…
Grilled Asparagus with Lemon and Manchego Cheese
You only need a few simple ingredients for an easy summer vegetable side dish recipe that explodes with flavor.
- 2 lbs asparagus
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Manchego cheese (can substititue Parmesan, Romano, or sharp white cheddar)
- zest of one lemon
- 1 Tablespoon chopped parsley
- Preheat your grill to medium. Wash and dry asparagus, and snap the tough ends off of each stalk.
- Toss the asparagus in the olive oil, salt, and pepper, then grill over medium heat for 8-10 minutes, or until tender and slight charred, flipping over once or twice while cooking.
- Remove asparagus from the grill to a serving plate and immediately top with shredded cheese and lemon zest so that the heat of the asparagus slight melts the cheese and releases the flavors and aromas form the zest. Sprinkle with a bit more freshly ground black pepper.
Enjoy this Grilled Asparagus with Lemon and Manchego Cheese recipe!
- Lemon Herb Grilled Chicken Breasts
- Lemon Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
- Creamy Greek Yogurt Honey Lemon Lime Salad Dressing
And here is the entire #SundaySupper menu from the barbie… Patio Libations
- Grilled Peach and Pineapple Sangria by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Let’s Get This BBQ Started!
- Bruschetta with Grilled Bread by Wholistic Woman
- Cilantro Lime Grilled Shrimp with Pineapple Salsa by Taste And See
- Grilled Avocado with Cilantro-Lime Cream by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
The Main Event
- Bison Sliders with Special Sauce by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Bourbon & Brown Sugar Marinated Grilled Steak by Books n’ Cooks
- Buffalo Wing Burger by Red Cottage Chronicles
- Chicken Mazatlan by Palatable Pastime
- Greek Lamb Burgers by Positively Stacey
- Grilled Avocado with Confetti Shrimp Salad by The Weekend Gourmet
- Grilled Shrimp Corn Salad with Avocado Vinaigrette by Food Lust People Love
- Grilled Duck with a Red Wine Reduction by Monica’s Table
- Grilled London Broil Steak Tacos by The Freshman Cook
- Grilled Pork and Pineapple Salad by Caroline’s Cooking
- Grilled Ribeye with Simple Spice Rub by Cooking Chat
- Grilled Salami Sandwich by Magnolia Days
- Grilled Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Hawaiian Chicken Kebabs by Moore or Less Cooking
- Grilled Honey Balsamic Chicken by Alida’s Kitchen
- Grilled Tuna Steaks with Orange Tomato Sauce by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Grilled Tuna Steaks with Strawberry Mango Salsa by simple and savory
- Honey Mustard Grilled Pork Chops by My World Simplified
- How to Grill Salmon and Shrimps in Banana Leaves by Asian In America
- Lemon Herbed Yogurt Chicken Kabobs by Momma’s Meals
- The Best Baby Back Ribs Ever!! by A Day in the Life on the Farm
On a Side Note
- Easy Garlicky Grilled Polenta by She Loves Biscotti
- Easy Grilled Articholes by April Golightly
- Grilled Asparagus with Lemon and Manchego Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grilled Cantaloupe Salad with Queso Fresco and Herbs by Cooking With Carlee
- Grilled Corn with Herb Butter by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Grilled Vegetable Pasta Salad by Cookin’ Mimi
Saucy Sentiments and Rebellious Rubs
- Homemade Burger Sauce by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Homemade Coffee Steak Rub by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Grilled Banana Boats by Our Good Life
- Grilled Blueberry Cobbler by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled Dessert Pizza by Baking Sense
- Grilled Pineapple with Vanilla Sorbet by The Chef Next Door
- Grilled Strawberry & Blue Basil Granita by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Super Simple Grilled Peaches by And She Cooks
Plus Piri Piri Sauce and Recipes for Summer Grilling from Sunday Supper Movement