It’s National Pizza Month, so #SundaySupper and Gallo Family Vineyards are here to help you celebrate. We’ve got a pizza for almost every day of the month, including my autumn-inspired Roasted Butternut Squash, Prosciutto and Goat Cheese Pesto Pizza.
Roasted Butternut Squash, Prosciutto and Goat Cheese Pesto Pizza
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.
I got spoiled as a Jersey girl. Perfectly crisp and chewy, cheese-laden pizza was available everywhere. In my one square mile hometown with a total population of 10,000 people, there were a handful of pizza joints. The larger adjacent town I moved to in my teens had probably three times as many. And every surrounding town was pretty much the same. And we aren’t talking about those chains you all know. We are talking about family run businesses where at least two or three generations of Italian-Americans were behind the counter tossing dough into the air when you came in and placed you order. Even when I had to give up gluten I still got pretty lucky. We found several places nearby that had darn good gluten free pizza.
Pizza was just such a quick and easy and cheap and utterly delicious dinner that I didn’t have to make. So, I’ll be honest, I never really bothered to try to perfect it, neither traditional nor gluten free. I mean, occasionally I’d make a batch of dough in my bread machine or buy some ready-made dough at the grocery store and threw some stuff on top, but I didn’t push myself to find my ultimate dough recipe.
Then we moved. You guys, no pizza. I mean, there’s pizza, if you want to call it pizza, but to a Jersey girl, it’s just not what I know and love about pizza. Pre-fabricated crust, weird flavors in the crust, little thin square pizzas. And don’t even get me started on the gluten free pizza.
So now I am a woman on a mission. A mission for pizza! Keeping it real, I’m still working on making the perfect crust. So my recommendation for now is to use your favorite regular or gluten free crust. But as far as toppings, well I think I pretty much nailed it, even if I am thinking outside the pizza box with this combination…
Yes, you guys, Roasted Butternut Squash, Prosciutto and Goat Cheese Pesto Pizza is a thing. A pretty darn good thing, I might add. Sweet and soft roasted butternut squash and salty, crispy prosciutto are just a match made in heaven, with the creamy tang of the goat cheese being the perfect contrast. Then a thin smear of pesto on top of the crispy crust adds just a hint of fresh, pungent flavor that cuts through but does not overwhelm everything else going on. And yes, there is a lot going on, but somehow it all works.
What also works is pairing it with Gallo Family Vineyards Pinot Noir. It’s a perfect match for the earthy sweetness of the squash, and this medium-bodied wine can stand up to all of the bold flavors piled on top of the pizza, but it is subtle enough to not overwhelm them. Do you prefer white wine? Gallo’s Sauvignon Blanc is the ideal companion for pesto, and the crisp finish is just what you need for the rich flavors go the prosciutto and goat cheese.
Are you ready for some pizza?!?! The Sunday Supper Tastemakers have dinner pies, dessert pies, and so much more, and you can find even more inspiration for National Pizza Month from the Gallo Family on their blog. You are sure to find some perfect pizza pairings for your favorite wines of Gallo Family Vineyards. Be sure to connect with Gallo Family on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or YouTube, and check out the store locator to find their wines near you!
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Start planning your menu for each and every day of National Pizza Month by checking out the recipes at the bottom of this post and on the Recipes Paired With Wine Pinterest Board!
Do you have a favorite local pizza place?
- About 3-4 slices thinly sliced prosciutto
- Your favorite regular or gluten free pizza dough, enough for about a 12-14 inch pizza (or a prebaked pizza shell)
- ¼ cup pesto
- 1 cup roasted butternut squash cubes
- 4 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
- Optional, balsamic vinegar reduction
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place prosciutto on a cooling rack set on top of a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until crispy. Set aside.
- Increase oven temperature as needed for your selected pizza dough. Shape pizza dough into a circle and bake as per instructions, leaving about 10 minutes of baking time for after you add the toppings. If you are using a prebaked pizza shell, you can start by just adding the toppings.
- Spread crust with pesto, then top with butternut squash cubes, crispy prosciutto that has been crumbled into pieces, and goat cheese. Bake for another 10 minutes, or until toppings are hot and crust is cooked through and browned.
- Before serving, drizzle with balsamic vinegar reduction, if desired.
Roast a big butternut squash and make not only this pizza, but some other recipes to pair with it…
- Butternut Squash, Pomegranate and Goat Cheese Crostini
- Roasted Butternut Squash, Pomegranate and Goat Cheese Salad
- Butternut Squash and Pomegranate Quinoa
From sweet to savory, get ready to grab slice of these #SundaySupper pizzas to pair with the wines of Gallo Family Vineyards…
- Apple Pie Pizza by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Pizza by Desserts Required
- Peach Maple Mascarpone Dessert Pizza by Whole Food | Real Families
- Apricot Chicken Brie Flatbread Pizza by Feed Me, Seymour
- Autumn Sausage & Sweet Potato Pizza by The Crumby Cupcake
- Balsamic Steak and Arugula Pizza by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Chicken Parmesan Pizza by Life Tastes Good
- Chorizo and Roasted Pepper Pizza with Arugula by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Flammkuchen by Curious Cuisiniere
- Grilled Fig + Prosciutto Pizza by An Appealing Plan
- Jalapeño Popper White Pizza by Food Done Light
- Meat Lover’s Skillet Pizza by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Pasta Pizza Pie by Alida’s Kitchen
- Pizza Bagels by Recipe for Perfection
- Portuguese Flatbread Pizza by Family Foodie
- Roasted Butternut Squash, Prosciutto and Goat Cheese Pesto Pizza by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Corn Pizza by Brunch with Joy
- Sauerkraut and Meatball Pizza by Palatable Pastime
- Sausage and Ricotta Naan Pizza by Casa de Crews
- Thai Chicken Pizza by The Redhead Baker
Also Featured: Simple Tips for Wine Cheese Pairings plus Pizza Recipes #SundaySupper with Gallo Family Vineyards.
Need more ideas for celebrating National Pizza Month? Check out Gallo Family Vineyards’ blog.