Whether you need something a little lighter for your Christmas morning breakfast, or just want something to go along with your waffles or overnight French toast or breakfast casseroles, Waldorf Fruit Salad is a sweet and juicy mixture of seasonal fruits lightly coated with a honey Greek yogurt “dressing” and some toasted walnuts for crunch.
Do you make a special breakfast for Christmas morning? I always see all of these recipes for holiday-inspired cinnamon rolls, or hear people talking about their Christmas morning tradition of making and eating a mountain of pancakes, and I am kind of jealous. We’ve never really had a Christmas morning breakfast tradition. Partially it is because we need to get in the present opening before heading off to church or to visit family, but really a lot of it comes down to the fact that after our Christmas Eve carb-fest, nobody is really in the mood for a bready, doughy, sugary breakfast. I’m usually happy to just munch on one of these.
And now that I have kids of my own, the last thing I want to be doing is slaving away in the kitchen when I could be watching them unwrap all of their brand new toys and games and other cool stuff… and then undoubtedly playing with the wrapping paper and boxes.
Ain’t nobody got time for that.
So over the years, Waldorf Fruit Salad has kind of become out Christmas morning breakfast tradition. I’ll make it up the day before (leaving the walnuts on the side so that they don’t get mushy overnight), and then for those that just want a light breakfast, they can grab a bowl, and for those that want to pick on some cookies or pastries that we undoubtedly have around, this is a nice, healthy breakfast “side dish”.
I like the mixture of red and green grapes for the holiday colors, the apples add a nice crunch against the soft and juicy grapes and oranges, and well, I just love bananas. Gently toss it all in a light coating of honey yogurt dressing with some nice, toasty walnuts, and you have something more fun and festive than a plain old fruit salad.
What do you have for Christmas morning breakfast?
- 2 apples, peeled (if desired) and chopped
- 2 oranges, cut into supremes or segments, juice squeezed from membranes after cutting out the segments, and reserved (see Note 1)
- 1 banana, cut into chunks
- 2 c grapes, halved if desired (I like to use a mixture of red and green)
- ½ c plain Greek yogurt
- 1 T honey, or to taste
- ½ c walnuts, toasted
- Combine all of the fruit in a large bowl and mix.
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, honey, and juice reserved from the orange and stir until smooth.
- Pour the yogurt mixture over the fruit, add the walnuts (see Note 2), and toss gently to combine.
2 – If you are preparing the salad in advance, keep the nuts separate and top or toss when serving.
Need some more Christmas morning breakfast ideas?
Plus a few from my friends…
- Eggnog Cinnamon Rolls from Inside Bru Crew Life
- Overnight Banana Stuffed French Toast from Crazy for Crust
- Red Velvet Pancakes from RecipeGirl