This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Need an easy snack recipe the kids will love that’s super yummy and nutritious? Look no further than these Peanut Butter Banana Bites with only three ingredients. These are super fast, super simple healthy no-bake snacks kids love and can even make themselves. You can make them gluten-free, vegan, and yes, even nut-free!
Originally published on March 13, 2018.
Let me paint the picture for you. I had pulled one load of laundry out of the dryer, moved one from the washer to the dryer, and put yet another load in the washer. I had the counter covered with little containers and dirty knives and packages of grapes and carrots and cheese and bread and crackers and cucumbers and bags of raisins and tubs of yogurt and bottles of honey and everything else needed to prep two kids’ lunches and breakfast for the next three days.
The flat iron steak was thawing and the zucchini was recently sliced for that night’s dinner. I moved the chicken from the freezer to the fridge to thaw for tomorrow’s dinner. Dirty dishes were multiplying next to the sink. The phone was ringing because mom was calling.
And what do I hear from down in the basement?
“Moooommmmmmm, the batteries on my Wii controller died! It’s not working anymore. Mom. Mommy! Mommmmmmyyyyy!”
Five minutes later he got the hint. He walked his seven-year-old butt upstairs and politely asked for me to get him some batteries for the controller. And I did.
Well, clearly the hint was not taken by the five-year-old. What did I hear ten minutes later bellowing over the music from Super Mario Brothers?
“Mommmmmmyyyy, we’re hungry! Can you bring us a snack?”
Yeah, that would be a hard NO.
Maybe if he had come upstairs and asked nicely I would have made these…
Banana Peanut Butter Snacks
These are a mom-approved kid favorite! My kids beg me to make these banana bites, just as I’m sure yours will. Heck, you might even find yourself enjoying these as a healthy snack too!
Peanut butter and banana is always a favorite combination in everything from this Skinny Peanut Butter Chip Smoothie or these Flourless Funky Monkey Oatmeal Muffins. Sometimes we even sneak it into more indulgent treats like the Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Ice Cream.
So it was only natural I use this favorite combo for a super quick and easy snack recipe.
Easy Banana Snack Recipe
You literally need three ingredients, and you have complete control over those ingredients, as you’ll see in my variations below. And you’ll also need less than five minutes. You don’t even have to do any of the work because these are simple enough for the kids to make on their own.
Here is a brief overview so you can see just how easy it is to make. Scroll down to the printable recipe card for the full quantities and details.
But don’t skip my PRO TIPS below!
- Peanut butter – your favorite kind, or any other nut or seed butter you choose
- Granola – homemade or storebought
- Peel a banana and slice it into about 1-inch pieces.
- Spread some peanut butter on top of each piece.
- Dunk it in granola.
The best part about these is that after slicing a banana into chunks, the possibilities are endless. You can change up the flavors, choose gluten free granola, make them dairy free or vegan, and even use sunflower seed butter or another nut-free or peanut-free option.
- Natural peanut butter and Nutty Maple Granola is the most common combo we make, and it’s also gluten-free and vegan. And the little bits in this granola recipe stick well to the peanut butter.
- Prefer chunkier granola? Try Maple Brown Sugar Granola Clusters.
- For a different flavor pairing, use almond butter and Apple Crisp Granola or Cherry Vanilla Almond Granola.
- Dream of warmer climates with cashew butter and Tropical Granola or Coconut Chia Granola Clusters.
- Make banana bites a little more indulgent with chocolate hazelnut spread and Dark Cocoa Superfood Granola or Crunchy and Chewy Chocolate Hazelnut Granola.
- Or make it nut-free with sunflower seed butter and Nut-Free Granola from Comfortably Domestic.
Then you could serve them with an Ants on a Log Kids Veggie Platter!
Is this a healthy snack recipe?
I love that these banana snacks are packed with healthy ingredients. The kids love that they taste yummy, with the soft and sweet banana, salty peanut butter, and plenty of crunch.
Bananas have lots of potassium. Nut and seed butter give you protein and healthy fats.
However, some store-bought granola can be loaded with extra sugar and fat, which is why I often try to make my own. That was I control the ingredients that go into it.
But there are some great options that pack in lots of fiber without overdoing the unhealthy stuff.
- I often get my kids Quaker Simply Granola, as it is free from artificial flavors and colors, and is high in protein and fiber. It’s a little high in sugar, so we do eat it in moderation.
- Purely Elizabeth Granola is certified gluten free and vegan, and is more moderate in sugar, using only coconut sugar instead of refined sugar.
- If you need something that is free from all of the common allergens, Enjoy Life is a great option.
More easy snack recipes for kids
Each of these has only three ingredients:
- Cheesecake Fruit Dip is a healthy way to take a dunk with fruit and graham crackers.
- Chocolate Pudding Snack Hack has no added sugar and no box mixes.
- Pistachio Cream Cheese Stuffed Dates are naturally sweet and packed with fiber and protein.
- Three-Ingredient Healthy Honey Mustard Dip will have everyone eating their veggies.
- Blueberry Peach Fruit Roll-Ups show that swirling two fruits make a healthy snack that’s twice as nice.
- Or blend up a Strawberry Banana Smoothie.
- You can also try some Three Ingredient Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies from Princess Pinky Girl.
Peanut Butter Banana Bites Easy Snack Recipe
Customize this healthy snack with your favorite toppings, or let the kids make their own. Based on your choice of granola and nut or seed butter, you have options to make them gluten free, dairy free, vegan, nut free or peanut free. The perfect after school snack for everyone!
Easy Peanut Butter Banana Snacks
- 1 banana
- 1 Tablespoon peanut butter or other nut or seed butter
- 2 Tablespoons granola (use more or less, as desired)
- Peel the banana and cut the tip off of each end.
- Cut the banana into 8-10 pieces, each about 3/4-1 inch long.
- Place a small amount of peanut butter (or other nut butter) on top of each piece of banana and dip into or sprinkle on granola.