This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
This easy, cheesy Gluten Free Breakfast Casserole recipe is easy to make, packed with fresh veggies and protein, and totally satisfying. The tender biscuit crust is topped with spinach, zucchini, and carrots plus plenty of cheese. It makes a delicious vegetarian brunch bake or you can make it ahead when you meal prep for busy weekdays!
Table of Contents
- Gluten Free Breakfast Casserole for a Holiday Brunch
- Why we Love this Gluten Free Vegetarian Breakfast Casserole
- How to Make a Gluten Free Breakfast Casserole
- Tips for Success
- Make it a meal
- Gluten Free Veggie Breakfast Casserole
- More gluten free zucchini recipes
- More gluten free breakfast bake recipes
Gluten Free Breakfast Casserole for a Holiday Brunch
I love holidays! The reason is that it usually means I am cooking some really yummy traditional food like our favorite Corn Pudding. And maybe some things that are a bit more indulgent, or that I don’t make very often. Or I am coming up with something new.
This veggie breakfast bake is a perfect addition to a holiday breakfast or brunch that is a change from the usual egg casserole.
While it does still have some eggs for protein, it’s also loaded with plenty of spinach, zucchini, and carrots. Plus there is cottage cheese and cheddar cheese to make it both creamy and cheesy.
But instead of just eggs or bread or potatoes, it is all spread on top of a soft and moist biscuit-like crust. Yes, you heard that right. It’s a gluten free casserole recipe that is tender and melts in your mouth.
Why we Love this Gluten Free Vegetarian Breakfast Casserole
This vegetable breakfast bake is cheesy, and creamy, and tasty! So much flavor and texture are packed into each bite. They would be perfect for a holiday or weekend breakfast or brunch. My family especially loves it as breakfast for dinner. And you can even reheat it for lunch or as a quick morning meal during the week.
I’m not usually one to buy a lot of special ingredients and prefer to focus on things that are naturally gluten free (hence my love of flourless desserts).
But if you are looking for a reason to try Gluten Free Bisquick, this is it!
For the veggie filling
- Olive oil
- Onion – finely chopped, set aside some for the crust
- Shredded carrots
- Zucchini – quartered lengthwise, and slice about 1/4 in. thick
- Baby spinach – chopped into small pieces
- Salt and pepper
- Cottage cheese
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Egg + egg whites
- Dry mustard
For the gluten free biscuit crust
- Gluten free pancake and baking mix – tested with Gluten Free Bisquick
- Egg + egg whites
- Reserved chopped onion from the filling
How to Make a Gluten Free Breakfast Casserole
Here is a brief overview so you can see just how easy it is to make. Scroll down to the printable recipe card for the full quantities and details.
But don’t skip my PRO TIPS below!
- Saute the veggies: Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat and saute onions until tender. Add carrots and zucchini and cook until the veggies are soft. Add the spinach, cover for several minutes until the spinach wilts. Set the mixture aside to cool.
- Make the filling and crust: Stir together the remaining filling ingredients in over bowl and the crust ingredients in another bowl. Stir the veggies into the eggs and cheese mixture.
- Prepare and bake the casserole: Spread the crust mixture into a 9×13 inch glass baking dish that has been coated with cooking spray or olive oil. Spoon the filling mixture over the crust and spread evenly. Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top. Pop your gluten free breakfast bake in the oven at 350°F for 30-35 minutes or until it is cooked through and the top is golden brown and bubbly.
Tips for Success
If you are not gluten free, you should still be able to use regular Bisquick in this recipe. I have not tested this exact version, but the original recipe this was based on (from a blog that no longer exists) used regular Bisquick.
You can make this vegetarian breakfast casserole in advance too. It’s great for meal prep so you can easily reheat and enjoy a protein-packed meal even on busy mornings.
Make it a meal
Vegetarian breakfast ideas
Family brunch sides
Meal prep breakfast pairings
Breakfast for dinner
Gluten Free Veggie Breakfast Casserole
For the filling
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- one medium sweet onion or half of a large one, finely chopped (set aside 1/4 cup for the crust)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise, and slide about 1/4 in. thick
- Two 5 oz. packages of baby spinach, chopped into small pieces
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
- 3/4 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
For the crust
- 1 cup Gluten Free Bisquick
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 reserved chopped onion from the filling
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13 in. square glass baking dish with cooking spray or olive oil.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion, and sauté for 3-4 minutes, or until translucent and starting to soften.
- Add the carrots and zucchini, and sauté for another 5-6 minutes, or until veggies are soft.
- Add the spinach, and cover with a lid for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the spinach is wilted.
- Place the veggies in a bowl and set aside to cool slightly.
- While the vegetables cool, prepare the crust. In a bowl, combine the Bisquick, egg whites, egg, milk, and reserved onion and stir together until smooth. Spread into the prepared baking dish and set aside.
- To the bowl with the vegetables, add the cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, egg whites, egg, and dry mustard, and mix until fully combined.
- Spoon the veggie and cheese mixture on top of the crust, and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle the top with 2Tablespoons parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350°F for 30-35 minutes, or until it is cooked through, golden, and bubbly.
More gluten free zucchini recipes
- Gluten Free Zucchini Fritters in the Air Fryer
- Baked Potato Zucchini Tots
- Zoodles Greek Salad
- Gluten Free Carrot Zucchini Muffins
- Gluten Free Chocolate Zucchini Cake from Gluten Free on a Shoestring
More gluten free breakfast bake recipes
- Cheesy Cauliflower Hash Browns Casserole
- Mixed Berry Baked Oatmeal
- Tomato Spinach Frittata with Feta
- Keto Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole
- Bacon Cheeseburger Crustless Quiche
- Mini Gluten Free French Toast Casseroles