Gluten Free Mini Irish Cream Chocolate Mousse Pies
Gluten Free Mini Irish Cream Chocolate Mousse Pies are a decadent and delightful boozy dessert for a gluten free St. Patrick’s Day!, and Pi Day! They’re one of the best gluten-free no bake dessert recipes in my recipe box!
Did you know that Pi Day is only a couple weeks away? #SundaySupper is helping you get ready for March 14th (since pi = 3/14) with over 50 Sweet and Savory Pie Recipes.
Gluten Free Mini Irish Cream Chocolate Mousse Pies -> CLICK HERE TO PIN THIS RECIPE
My five year old has the strangest taste in television. Well, strange for a five-year-old. He has stated that when he watches movies, he doesn’t want to watch cartoons anymore because they are fiction (I think he needs a better understanding of the difference between fiction versus non-fiction and animated versus live-action, but we’ll work on that).
He’ll sit for hours and watch nature or survival shows with Daddy. When he is begging to watch TV and I say that we aren’t going to put on any kids shows, he’ll say, “OK, then how about one of those DIY shows? Maybe Barnwood Builders is on.” He might be almost as big a fan of Chip and Joanna as The Hubby and I.
And when he knows I’m going to cuddle on the couch with him, he’ll request Food Network, and I don’t think that’s just to placate Mommy. He actually likes it. When he was playing with his kitchen set recently, he insisted I record him on Snapchat while he told Guy Fieri (aka Mommy) all about the Crystal Soup Diner, and then proceeded to detail how he makes Deep Fried Crystal Soup with Chicken Broth. There were power tools involved.
Then there’s Chopped. I think it’s a sign that we have watched it a few too many times when now on nights he especially enjoys his dinner, he tells me that I get to move on to the Dessert Round. And then he’ll start naming random food items in our fridge and pantry that he wants incorporated into his snack.
I’m not sure if I should be flattered or offended.
I guess I’m just glad he hasn’t started booze as one of the secret basket ingredients…
Though The Bug is a bit precocious with his television habits, and his palate, he will not get to taste these Gluten Free Mini Irish Cream Chocolate Mousse Pies.
But after enjoying more than my fair share (over the course of a week, not in one day!), I will tell you they are the perfect combination of rich and decadent with light and fluffy. I’ll be honest, though, when I say “light”, I am only talking about the texture of the mousse, not the calorie content.
This is a special occasion dessert, but it is totally worth the indulgence. You start with a no-bake chocolaty crust made from almond meal. Top this with a simplified bit of my Five Minute Bailey’s Fudge Sauce. Cover that all up with a thick layer of heavenly Irish Cream chocolate mousse, then whipped cream and shaved chocolate and you have a dessert worthy of any celebration, from Pi Day to St. Patrick’s Day, or even a dinner party where you want to impress your guests. But the best part is that even though there are a few different layers to make, they are all super easy!
I guess it’s also time for my annual answer to the question of whether Irish cream is gluten free.
Irish cream and all whiskey-based alcohols are made from gluten-containing grains. However, the distillation process effectively separates the alcohol from the gluten. However, in the case of Irish cream, there is the question of other ingredients. Bailey’s claims they don’t use any gluten-containing ingredients, but they are not qualified to make “medical recommendations”.
Carolan’s claims to be gluten free. I am not a medical professional, so this is only based on my research, and if you have a severe allergy, you should consult your doctor. But I did want to give you this information because I am often asked. Also, I have heard that Irish cream non-dairy coffee creamers can be substituted in order to achieve the same flavor without any risk of gluten. And also for if you want to avoid alcohol.
I have not tried using it in these gluten free mini Irish cream pies, so if you do, let me know.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here:Sunday Supper Movement.
Then make sure you check out all of the Sweet and Savory Pies at the bottom of this post!
Or forget about all of those, and just dig into mini Irish cream pies!
For more yumminess from me and my foodie friends, keep up with me on…
Or sign up to have Cupcakes & Kale Chips delivered straight to your Inbox!
Gluten Free Mini Irish Cream Chocolate Mousse Pies
A decadent and simple boozy dessert recipe is perfect for St. Patrick's Day or any special occasion.
For the crust
- 2/3 cups almond meal
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
For the Irish Cream fudge
- 2 Tablespoons Irish Cream Liqueur (Bailey's or other)
- 2 Tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
For the mousse
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 Tablespoon cold water
- 2 Tablespoons boiling water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup heavy cream, well chilled
- 1/4 cup Irish Cream Liqueur (Bailey's or other), well chilled
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
For the whipped cream
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 Tablespoon powdered sugar
- Grated chocolate for garnish, optional
For the crust:
- Toss almond meal, cocoa powder, and powdered sugar together in a bowl using a fork.
- Pour over the melted butter and stir until evenly moistened.
- Divide the crumbs between four 6 oz. ramekins and press firmly into the bottom and up the sides.
- Place in the refrigerator until needed.
For the Irish Cream fudge:
- Combine the Irish Cream and chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and microwave 15-30 seconds and stir until smooth (alternatively, place in a bowl over a pot of simmering water and stir just until melted.
- Stir in the cocoa powder.
- Divide the fudge between the crusts, gently spread evenly, and return to the refrigerator while preparing the mousse.
For the mousse:
- Place a mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer.
- Sprinkle gelatin over cold water in small bowl and let stand one minute.
- Add boiling water and stir until gelatin is completely dissolved. Let stand to cool.
- In the chilled bowl, stir together the sugar and cocoa powder.
- Add the heavy cream and beat at medium speed until stiff peaks form.
- Increase to high speed, then slowly add the Irish Cream, vanilla, and gelatin mixture, beating until soft peaks form.
- Divide the mousse between the crusts and spread evenly. Return to the refrigerator while preparing the whipped cream or until ready to serve.
For the whipped cream:
- In a chilled bowl, using chilled beaters or a whisk, beat the cream and powdered sugar to form soft peaks. Top each pie with whipped cream, and garnish with grated chocolate, if desired.
If you love the gluten free mini Irish cream pies, you might also enjoy these…
Plus the entire collection of #SundaySupper Sweet and Savory Pies…
Sweet As Pie
- Apple Browned Butter Tart by The Chef Next Door
- Banana Cream Pie from Recipes Food and Cooking
- Blood Orange Pie from The TipToe Fairy
- Brown Sugar Pie from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cherry Chocolate Brownie Pie from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Macadamia Nut Tart from Desserts Required
- Chocolate Pudding Pie from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Coconut Cream Pie from Family Foodie
- Easy Lemon Pie from Basic N Delicious
- Fresh Lemon Hand Pies from From Gate to Plate
- German Sweet Chocolate Cream Pie from Meal Planning Magic
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Cherry Pie from NinjaBaker
- Gluten Free Mini Irish Cream Chocolate Mousse Pies from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grapefruit Pie from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Homemade Oatmeal Creme Pies from Pies and Plots
- Irish Cream Coffee Mud Pie from The Crumby Cupcake
- Leaf Topped Apple Pie from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Magic Cookie Bar Pie from Moore or Less Cooking
- Mixed Berry Hand Pies from My Imperfect Kitchen
- No Bake Blueberry Cheesecake Pie from Feeding Big and More
- No Bake Blueberry Mini Filo-Pies from Hardly A Goddess
- Paifala (Samoan Pineapple Half Moon Pies) from Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Pie from Sweet Mornings
- Perfect Manhattan Pie from The Texan New Yorker
- Pineapple Meringue Pie from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Quick Swiss Apple Pie from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- No-Bake Mixed Berry Cream Cheese Tart from Magnolia Days
- Orange Meringue Pie from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Raspberry Cheesecake Pudding Pie from Flour On My Face
- Strawberry Mascarpone Tart from Taste And See
- Beef & Red Wine Pie from Wholistic Woman
- Cauliflower Cheese Pie with Grated Potato Crust from Food Lust People Love
- Chard and Parsnip Galette from Caroline’s Cooking
- Chicken Tamale Pie from Rants from my Crazy Kitchen
- Cornish Pasties from Palatable Pastime
- Homity Pie (British Potato Leek Pie) from Curious Cuisiniere
- Italian Cheesy Artichoke and Asparagus Phyllo Pie from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Italian Hand Pies from Brunch-n-Bites
- Irish Shepherd’s Pie from The Freshman Cook
- Jamaican “No-Beef” Patties from What Smells So Good?
- Mini Swiss Quiches from Family Around The Table
- Mushroom Swiss Quiche from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Pizza Rustica from Monica’s Table
- Salmon Pot Pie from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Savory and Spicy Mincemeat Pie from eating in instead
- Shepherd’s Pie Hand Pies from Our Good Life
- Skillet Shepherd’s Pie from Life Tastes Good
- Spaghetti Pie from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Spicy Korean Cottage Pie from kimchi MOM
- Taco Hand Pies from Kitchen Gidget
- Weeknight Chicken Pot Pie from Books n’ Cooks
- Plus: Baked Puerto Rican Meat Pies and More Pie Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement