Cinnamon Caramel Apple Energy Balls
Caramel apple energy balls with the perfect hint of cinnamon are quick and easy, healthy no-bake snacks kids love! You only need four ingredients and a few minutes to make the perfect back to school snack. They are nut-free and peanut-free making no-bake energy balls perfect to pack as a lunchbox snack, or they are easy to grab and snack on when you and the kids are heading out the door to the bus stop. They also make a great after school snack while working on homework or to fuel you through busy days filled with sports and activities. Plus these energy bites are naturally gluten free, dairy free, and vegan. For a quick and easy snack that the kids will love, grab a few ingredients and roll up a quick batch of Cinnamon Caramel Apple Energy Balls.
Cinnamon Caramel Apple Energy Bites
Originally published Aug 17, 2014. Four years later and the constant demands for snacks have not changed.
You guys, I seriously can’t wait till The Bug goes back to school. And at about the same time, King Stuff is gonna head to daycare a couple days of the week. With the big upcoming move, The Hubby busy with a new job, and me trying to get a house ready to put on the market, maintaining some semblance of order while the house is actually on the market without actually evicting my little boys during this period, packing years worth of crap, and keeping up the blogging gig, I really need some kid-free time to have a fighting chance of getting it all accomplished without completely losing my mind or sacrificing sleep entirely. So offloading them for a few hours at least a few days a week is pretty much a necessity.
But the main reason I need to get them out of the house? When they are home, all they want to do is EAT ALL THE THINGS. ALL THE TIME. They finish their fruit and yogurt or healthy carrot zucchini mini muffins, and The Bug instantly starts wailing, “I’m still huuuunnngggrrryyyy!” So I get him something else, like some yogurt stuffed apples or easy peanut butter banana snacks. But if King Stuff sees his big brother eating, of course he has to be shoving fistfulls of something in his mouth too.
Breakfast is done and an hour later, if I am within a 3 foot radius of the refrigerator, King Stuff assumes that I am getting food for him, and if I don’t give him yet another thing to eat, it’s meltdown-city. Lunch is inevitably happening by 11:30, and at 1 or 2, The Bug needs a snack because I’m trying to finish my lunch, and obviously he is “starrrrrvvviiinnnngggg”. King Stuff wakes up from his nap at 3 or 3:30 looking for his snack, and if he is munching, The Bug has to be munching, too.
Since I am clearly starving my children, by dinnertime, the decibel level of whining and crying has reached the point that only dogs can hear. So I make up their plates first and sit them down at the table before I get food for The Hubby and I. Which inevitably means that by the time I sit down and put a bite in my mouth, they NEED seconds. And now King Stuff has learned such bad habits from his brother that the second the table is cleared, he is hanging on my legs looking for his nighttime snack, after he just finished three plates of food, just because I am in the cabinet getting vitamins, and me being near the cabinets reminds him that there is food in them.
Human Garbage Disposals, I tell ya!
Seriously, people, all I do is open and cut and peel and pour and put in bowls and get a spoon and cook and microwave and stir and serve and wipe faces and pick up crumbs. And, you know, dishes for dayssss! I love my kids and know that they are my responsibility, but sometimes I do have to actually get out of the kitchen. Maybe use the bathroom or something. So it’s time for them go somewhere where they are distracted from food for at least a little while and when it is time to eat, someone else is taking care of it.
But when they are home, I need easy grab-and-go snacks like these…
Cinnamon Caramel Apple Energy Balls are one of my boys’ favorite things to munch on.
I have made several versions of no=bake energy balls,. like these Funky Monkey Banana Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Balls or Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Energy Balls, but I wanted to make a variety without nuts or nut butters or any other major allergens, so that we could pack them on-the-go or share them with friends without having to worry about any kids with food allergies or sensitivities. These are nut-free, vegan, have no added sugar, and are easy to make gluten-free. Plus, they take minutes to prepare, aren’t messy, and are healthy. Even better, from the making to the eating, they are totally kid-friendly.
Cinnamon Caramel Apple Energy Balls recipe tips and product recommendations…
- What makes these taste like caramel apples without any sugar? Dates! Seriously, dates are “Nature’s Caramel”.
- These are not made with the freeze dried apples. They are made with the chewy kind of dried apples. Some brands have a little less moisture, so if that is the case, just add a teaspoon of water at a time until you get a thick paste consistency.
- I prefer to make these in my food processor, but you can use a high powered blender. In both cases, you may have to scrape down with a spatula.
- For the full sized energy balls, use about a tablespoon each. If you have toddlers, you ca use about one-quarter to one-half teaspoon to make little baby energy bites.
- You can store these in an airtight container at room temperature for several days, but they will also last longer in the refrigerator.
- Since they are nut-free, they are perfect to pack for daycare or school.
Products from Amazon.com
- Price: $2.35
- Price: Check on Amazon
- Price: $6.99Was: $11.99
- Price: $6.60Was: $16.29
Need some more lunchbox or after school snacks like these Cinnamon Caramel Apple Energy Balls?
- Banana Nut Bread Granola Bars
- Double Chocolate Cherry Pistachio Energy Bars
- Cranberry Almond Energy Balls
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Apple Nachos
For more yumminess from me and my foodie friends, keep up with me on…
Or sign up to have Cupcakes & Kale Chips delivered straight to your Inbox!
Cinnamon Caramel Apple Energy Balls
These no-bake energy balls have the caramel apple flavor you love with the perfect hint of cinnamon for an easy snack recipe the kids love to make and eat. Perfectly portable and poppable, these energy bites have only four ingredients, and are gluten free, dairy free, nut- and peanut-free, and vegan. Made with only real, whole ingredients, you can feel good about eating this healthy snack that tastes like a caramel apple.
I hope you’ll leave a comment and give it a FIVE STAR rating or share a photo on this pin on Pinterest!
Cinnamon Caramel Apple Energy Balls (and Baby Bites)
- Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor or high-powered blender and process until it forms a thick paste. You may have to stop the food processor a couple of times to press down the mixture with a spatula.
- Using about a tablespoon of the mixture, roll into balls. If you want the little bites, use about 1/4 teaspoon each.
And here is the entire #SundaySupper Back to School menu…
Back to School Beginnings
- Make Ahead Waffle Casserole from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Apple Muffins from Meal Diva
- Apple Oat Breakfast Cookies from What Smells So Good?
- Toast Three Ways from Foxes Love Lemons
Back to School Lunches and Simple Suppers
- First Day of School Pinwheels from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Grilled Chicken Revamp from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Baked Eggplant Parmesan from Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Chicken and Zucchini Meatballs from Casa de Crews
- Clean Eating Lunches Your Kids will Love from Amee’s Savory Dish
- DIY Veggie Cup Noodles from Food Lust People Love
- Skinny Spinach Mac and Cheese from Take a Bite out of Boca
- Chicken Schnitzle from Panning the Globe
- Chopped Shrimp Salad with Honey Lime Vinagraitte from The Weekend Gourmet
Back to School Sips
Back to School Super Snacks
- Nutty Granola from Life Tastes Good
- On the Go Guacamole from Shannon at Country Girl in the Village
- Playground Granola Bars from Noshing with the Nolands
- Apricot Dip from Magnolia Days
- Home Made Graham Crackers from Curious Cuisiniere
- Beef and Veggie Sliders from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
Back to School Sweets and Treats