This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Banana Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Balls give you the chocolate and peanut butter fix you crave (plus a dose of banana for good measure) in a quick and easy snack. Only a few minutes to make with only 8 ingredients, these are the perfect portable healthy no bake snacks you need to grab on-the-go and power you through busy days. And these Funky Monkey Energy Bites are gluten free and vegan too!
Originally published on Mar 25, 2015.
As you’ve probably guessed, I work from home. Granted I enjoy working independently, working for myself instead of a big company, and working in utter and complete silence while the kids are at school.
But working in my house where I have constant access to everything in my pantry and refrigerator, not to mention, you know, making food for a living, means it is way too tempting to snack all the livelong day. A zucchini muffin here. A forkful of lasagna there. It all adds up!
So I need snacks that fill me up, fuel me through busy afternoons, but keep me from constantly rummaging through the cabinets for something to munch on.
And did I mention that I have two little eating machines? Yeah, we need ALL. THE. SNACKS.
This is why I love energy balls, and why you will too!
Oh yeah, you better believe these Funky Monkey Banana Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Balls are good! I had to keep my big guy from devouring them all at once because bananas, chocolate, and peanut butter are pretty much his three favorite foods.
So not only are they yummy, but they are super fast and easy as well. The most time-consuming part is rolling them into balls. Don’t want to deal with that? Put it all in a bowl and eat a spoonful at a time. I won’t tell! Remember, I work alone, who am I gonna spill to?!
What are energy balls?
Energy balls are healthy no-bake snacks kids love and adults too! You can make them in any flavor combination you choose, but basically it comes down to combining good carbs, healthy fat, protein, and fiber into a sticky mixture that you roll into balls. And depending on the ingredients you choose, there are lots of options to make them healthy gluten free snack recipes, and vegan alternatives too!
They are quick and easy to make, no baking is required, and they can be stored at room temperature for hours to a few days, in the fridge for up to a couple of weeks, and for months in the freezer. Pop them into a lunchbox or container to bring to work, school, or out and about. Or just pop them straight into your mouth when those munchies strike.
We are so addicted to them that I have a bunch of energy ball recipes you can try if you want another flavor combo:
- Apple Cinnamon Energy Balls are nut-free with only four ingredients.
- Banana Nut Energy Balls also have chunks of dark chocolate like Chunky Monkey Ice Cream
- Pumpkin Energy Balls have perfect pumpkin spice flavor and some mini chips for good measure.
- Coconut Apricot Energy Balls add a little exotic flavor.
But for me? These Banana Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Balls are my favorite…
Banana Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Bites Recipe
I can’t resist anything with chocolate and peanut butter, but indulging that craving with Reese’s Poke Cake and Banana Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Ripple Ice Cream all the time is not necessarily the best option. This is why I love working my favorite flavors into a snack that’s a little better for me and actually gives me energy instead of making the afternoon slump even worse.
What is in these energy balls?
- Creamy peanut butter
- Banana – the more ripe it is, the sweeter your energy balls will be.
- Pitted dates
- Uncooked old-fashioned oats – gluten free, if needed. You may need additional depending on how soft and large your banana is.
- Ground flax seed or flax meal
- Vanilla extract
- Mini chocolate chips – vegan, if needed.
How do you make energy balls?
Check out the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post for the full quantities and details, but here is a brief overview to show you how simple it is.
- Combine all of the ingredients except the chocolate chips in a food processor and process until it forms a paste.
- Stir in the chips.
- Using about a tablespoon of the mixture at a time, roll into balls.
BRIANNE RECOMMENDS: You can also use a Blendtec blender with the Twister Jar which allows you to scrape down the sides while blending it. I am a Blendtec ambassador, and should you make any purchases through that link, I will receive a small commission, but that also means you can use the code CUPCAKESANDKALECHIPS to receive 25% off.
How do you store energy balls?
- Store them in an airtight container. They can stay at room temperature for a few hours, but due to the fresh banana, they need to be kept in the refrigerator for longer storage. They will last for up to a week.
- You can also put your energy balls in freezer-safe containers or bags for up to six months. Just pull out a few at a time at least a few hours before you plan to eat them.
More healthy chocolate peanut butter recipes
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie
- Healthier Funky Monkey Chocolate Cupcakes
- Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Muffins
- Flourless Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Ball
- Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Dip from It’s Yummi
- Microwave Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Pancakes from Food Faith Fitness
- Chocolate Doughnuts with Peanut Butter Glaze Lauren Kelly Nutrition
Funky Monkey Energy Balls Recipe
Your favorite combination of banana, chocolate and peanut butter in a healthy snack that is easy to make and even easier to grab on-the-go. A few simple ingredients and just a few minutes of work to make no-bake energy bites that will satisfy those hunger pangs and sweets cravings.
Funky Monkey Banana Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Balls
- Combine all of the ingredients except the chocolate chips in a food processor and process until it forms a paste, scraping down the sides as needed. If you find the mixture is too soft to form into balls, you can add more oats.
- Stir in the chips.
- Using about a tablespoon of the mixture at a time, use your hands to roll into balls.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to eat.