Apricot Coconut Energy Balls
Apricot coconut energy balls are grain free, vegan, dairy free, and nut free. That means these healthy no-bake snacks are perfect for allergy sensitive families.
Energy bites, protein balls, whatever you call them, these portable, poppable little snacks are so easy and packed with nutrition that you just have to whip some up to keep on hand for busy days. The flavor possibilities are endless, but lately we’ve been snacking on these Apricot Coconut Energy Balls.
Welcome to #EatHealthy16, where over 30 bloggers are coming together to share recipes to help you with your start 2016 off on the right track with food that is nutritious and delicious. All month long, I’m going to be featuring my foodie friends sharing some tasty healthy snacks. Plus, Jamie of Love Bakes Good Cakes will share healthy meals, and Jenny of The Melrose Family will have healthy desserts. So make sure you follow the #EatHealthy16 hashtag throughout the month of January for tons of inspiration.
It’s funny how your tastes change throughout your life. As a kid, I wanted no part of anything coconut. Hated the flavor, hated the texture, hated everything about it. My mom used to make Magic Bars, and I made her make mine special without coconut.
Then in college, I discovered my drink of choice when I went to 80’s Ladies Night at the Golden Rail – for two bucks, I could get a Malibu Bay Breeze. I only ever got one when I didn’t have to drive back to my dorm, but I loved that hint of coconut flavor from the coconut rum. But I still couldn’t take the texture.
Till I tried coconut shrimp. Oh goodness I loved those things, but they didn’t love me back and every time I ate them, I ended up doubled over in pain. So I avoided coconut.
Till one Halloween I tried an Almond Joy. This combination of nuts and chocolate with the coconut totally got me over the texture thing. Oh, and speaking of Almond Joy, have you seen these creative Almond Joy recipes from my blogging friends? Almond Joy Thumbprint Cookies, an Almond Joy COCKTAIL, and even low carb Almond Joy brownies. YUM!
This is a much healthier way to enjoy that delicious coconutty flavor than sugary cocktails, fried appetizers, candy bars, and other equally indulgent dishes…
These Apricot Coconut Energy Balls are a deliciously chewy and perfectly wholesome way to satisfy your sweet tooth and fuel you through the afternoon slump.
Quick and easy to make, packed with nutritious ingredients, and convenient to grab on the way out the door or pack in lunchboxes, when it comes to healthy snacks, it doesn’t get much better when it comes to healthy snacks.
I like the little bit of texture and the adorable look of the balls when they are rolled in coconut, but if you don’t want the extra step, or you are like I used to be and like the flavor of coconut but not the texture, you can skip that. They’ll still be super yummy!
But it is kinda fun to make these Apricot Coconut Energy Balls look like Munchkins even though you know that they are actually nutritious snacks.
What is something you didn’t like as a kid but love as an adult?
A couple of items you’ll need to make these apricot coconut energy balls:
- [amazon_textlink asin=’B0027YZBJC’ text=’pitted dates’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’cupkalchi-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’682dfb33-867c-11e7-9b5a-f157729a08a5′]
- [amazon_textlink asin=’B00K545ZZG’ text=’pepitas’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’cupkalchi-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’8c3bb79c-867c-11e7-92f1-b72afb8ab1b5′]
- [amazon_textlink asin=’B002YR7A9Q’ text=’unsweetened coconut’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’cupkalchi-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’a0ed43a3-867c-11e7-b7ee-253fb8cb1467′]
For more yumminess from me and my foodie friends, keep up with me on…
Or sign up to have Cupcakes & Kale Chips delivered straight to your Inbox!
Apricot Coconut Energy Balls
- Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until it forms a thick paste, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- Using about a tablespoon of the mixture, roll into balls. If desired, roll balls in additional coconut.
Here are some more of our favorite energy balls…
If you love energy balls, check out my roundup on Parade…
And my Pinterest board featuring all kinds of energy bars, balls, and bites…
Plus a few recipes from my friends…
- Skinny Strawberry Shortcake Bites from House of Yumm
- Dark Chocolate Coconut Almond Energy Bites from Joyful Healthy Eats
- Chocolate Brownie Energy Bites from The Lemon Bowl