This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Sicilian chicken and mushrooms spaghetti squash casserole is one of the best gluten-free casserole recipes for a hearty, comfort food meal.
Give a bunch of #SundaySupper bloggers the new McCormick’s Skillet Sauces, and you know we are going to think outside the box, or, in this case, the the package. These new sauce packages make it quick and easy to make a tasty dinner, or you can transform them into a special meal, like this hearty and comforting Sicilian Chicken and Mushrooms Spaghetti Squash Casserole.
Disclosures: This post is sponsored by McCormick in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own. There are affiliate links in this post, meaning that if you click and make a purchase, the cost to you is the same, but I will receive a few pennies. I use the money to help maintain this website and to bring you new recipes!
I have been feeling seriously lazy the past few days. I mean, I’ll be honest, I’m not the most crazy bounce around on my feet, zip around, do this, do that, run ten miles kind of person. Let me get my workouts in, then let me park myself on the couch or my desk or on the floor with my boys, or maybe in the kitchen and photo studio. But since Friday, mentally and physically I’ve just had no desire to move Not that I can’t move, or have no energy to move, or am unable to move. I just don’t want to – pure laziness! I’ve been hitting my workouts really hard the past several weeks and have felt awesome, but on Friday, even my favorite workout DVD was a struggle. And it’s not just moving. Really, I haven’t wanted to do anything. Normally I love the photo editing, social media and writing that go along with being a food blogger, but I couldn’t even wrap my brain around that. I just shut it down, and even went to sleep early the past couple nights, which is so not like me.
I guess lazy is relative, though. I have two kids. Boys, nonetheless. Very active boys. They rarely let me sit longer than ten minutes, and even when they are off at school, there’s laundry to be done, dishes to be washed, and, of course, food to be made. So I suppose I’ve been as lazy as I can be. Heck, around here even lazy requires effort. Saturday I hit my limit – it was time to order some pizza.
But typically I try to keep takeout to a minimum. Since my family still has to eat, even when I’m in lazy-mode, and I want to make sure what they are eating is nutritious and delicious, sometimes I need a little help to make a dinner this fabulous…
The goodness inside of the Sicilian chicken and mushrooms casserole
Sicilian Chicken and Mushrooms Spaghetti Squash Casserole was such a cozy, comforting meal, perfect for wintertime. But by using my favorite pasta alternative, it also kept it a bit lighter, and packed with veggies. This saved a few calories so that I could add a little ooey gooey factor with ricotta and fresh mozzarella cheese. Then of course, no good Italian-inspired meal is complete without a little parmesan cheese. I definitely went back for seconds, and then polished off the leftovers for lunch the next day.
The tomato sauce was infused with classic Italian flavors, like onion, garlic, and basil and tasted like it had been simmering all day, but luckily prep time was kept to a minimum thanks to the new McCormick’s Skillet Sauces. I used the Sicilian Chicken with Tomato, Basil & Garlic Skillet Sauce, but you’ll also find six more amazing flavors, like Sweet & Smoky Sloppy Joes Skillet Sauce and Fajita with Roasted Chili, Garlic & Lime Skillet Sauce.
In one package you get a a ton of flavor to help you create a home cooked meal in no time that tastes like you spent hours in the kitchen cleaning, chopping, and cooking. Some even work in the slow cooker! I like the simplicity of combining their sauces with fresh ingredients for the perfect balance of great taste and quick, easy preparation. Find out more about all seven varieties of McCormick’s Skillet Sauces on their website, and keep up with all of their tasty products and get fabulous recipe ideas on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook.
While overall it took a little bit of time for everything to come together for this Sicilian chicken meal, much of it was just waiting for the spaghetti squash to cook, then baking the casserole in the oven to heat it through and melt the cheese.
You could certainly make it a quicker meal even for a busy weeknight by cooking your spaghetti squash the day before, or even letting it cook all day in your slow cooker so it’s ready to go when you get home. You could even prep it the night before and just pop it in the oven. Or just save this for a special weekend meal that’s still made a little faster and easier with a little help from McCormick’s Skillet Sauces.
A couple of items to help you make the Sicilian chicken and mushrooms casserole recipe:
[amazon_link asins=’B06XDQ82G6,B00004RFMT’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’cupkalchi-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’ea7abe87-b826-11e7-9d30-99259ff2a921′]
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Are you looking for some inspiration to go beyond the back of the package? Check out all of the fabulous ideas at the bottom of this post and on the McCormick’s Easy Skillet Dinners Pinterest board!
How would you think outside the package using the McCormick’s Skillet Sauces?
Sicilian Chicken and Mushrooms Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- 2 lbs spaghetti squash
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into about 1 inch chunks
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 1 pkg McCormick Sicilian Chicken with Tomato, Basil & Garlic Skillet Sauce
- 1/2 cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella cheese sliced
- 2 Tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Scrape out the “noodles” into a large bowl using a fork and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat oil in skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and onions, and cook 3-4 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes until tender.
- Stir in Sauce.
- Toss the chicken and sauce mixture with spaghetti squash and place in an ovenproof skillet or casserole dish.
- Dollop ricotta over the mixture, place cheese slices on top, and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, or until heated through and cheese is melted.
Love spaghetti squash as much as I do? Here are a few more recipes:
- Spaghetti Squash Pastitsio with Greek Yogurt Béchamel
- Baked Spaghetti Squash with Spicy Sausage Tomato Cream Sauce
- Turkey Sausage & Mushroom Spaghetti Squash Casserole
Make sure you check out 12 of the Best Spaghetti Squash Recipes So Good You’ll Forget About Pasta!
Plus check out all of the other creative recipes from the #SundaySupper crew using McCormick’s Skillet Sauces:
- Black and White Bean Chicken Chili by The Dinner-Mom
- Black Bean Taco Salad with Chipotle and Garlic by Ruffles & Truffles
- Cashew Chicken by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cauliflower Skillet Steaks-Sicilian Style by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Chicken Enchilada Skillet by The Messy Baker
- Chicken Fajita Rice Bowl by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chicken Fried Rice with Sesame Seeds and Almonds by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Creamy Sicilian Style Chicken Mushrooms Ham by Family Foodie
- Fajita Quesadillas by The Foodie Army Wife
- Fire Roasted Garlic Chili with Cilantro Lime Rice by Hip Foodie Mom
- One-Pot Chipotle Chicken Taco Pasta by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Picadillo by kimchi MOM
- Potato Topped Sloppy Beef Skillet by Magnolia Days
- Savory Jade Chicken in Taro Basket by Brunch with Joy
- Sesame Chicken Stir-Fry over Cauliflower Rice by Casa de Crews
- Shrimp Taco’s with a Baja Cream Sauce by Daily Dish Recipes
- Sicilian Chicken and Mushrooms Spaghetti Squash Casserole by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Sicilian Skillet Chicken over Parmesan Zucchini “Noodles” by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Skillet Sicilian Chickpeas Over Brown Rice by Shockingly Delicious
- Skillet Taco Nacho Bake by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Smokey BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches With Creamy Coleslaw by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Smoky Skillet Chicken and Rice by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Sriracha Sesame Shrimp and Grits by I’m Not the Nanny
- Tex-Mex Sloppy Joes by The Weekend Gourmet
- Tres Carne Fire Roasted Garlic Chili over Egg Noodles by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks